Top 5 From the AFI Top 100

TravisTravis CA
edited January 2015 in Movies
So, in the thread for movies that people haven't seen @A.Ron.Hubbard brought up the AFI top 100 list and it seemed like a lot of people had the sentiment that they maybe hadn't seen as many of the movies from the list as they would like (myself included). So, I thought it might be both fun and a good reference if any interested parties put their top 5 out there (or as many as you like, 5 just felt like a good number). Also, if you think there is a great movie that may not make your top 5, but you feel has probably been overlooked by people that you want to highlight, please do so. So, what say you?

Here's a link to the list: http://www.afi.com/100years/movies10.aspx

Mine (in the order that they occurred to me):
the Maltese Falcon
Fellowship of the Ring
Silence of the Lambs
Pulp Fiction
Annie Hall

It was really hard to not put Sunset Boulevard, North By Northwest and Dr. Strangelove in so I suppose that I have now listed them as honorable mentions.

Comments

• I've seen about 80% of this list, due mostly to film classes in college.

My Top 5 favorites (in no particular order)
    • Chinatown
    • Goodfellas
    • Star Wars
    • Pulp Fiction
    • All the President's Men

Honorable Mentions: The Godfather, Citizen Kane, Silence of the Lambs, Apocalypse Now, A Clockwork Orange, and any of the Hitchcock films on the list
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2015
    @hypergenesb‌ Chinatown is one that I haven't gotten to yet. I really need to see that one. I hear really great things.

I saw Citizen Kane in my mid 20s, after hearing that it was the best movie ever made for years and years. I was really surprised when I wasn't let down. It may not be my favorite, but it really is a fantastic movie.
  • 1. 2001: A Space Oddysey
    2. Dr. Strangelove
    3. Citizen Kane
    4. The Godfather
    5. Taxi Driver

I was disappointed that my favorite Woody Allen movie, Crimes & Misdemeanors, didn't make the cut.

Also, I know this is the AFI and films from outside the U.S. have no business in the discussion, but Wim Wenders' Wings of Desire without a doubt hits my all-time top 5. So I just wanted to give it a shout out here.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Singin' In The Rain
    Some Like It Hot
    To Kill A Mockingbird
    Cabaret
    The Philadelphia Story

Can I have 6? If so, Goodfellas.
  • @Dee‌ Singin' in the Rain is so great. If I had gone to a top 10 that would have made it. It's my wife's all time favorite movie.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @TravisSmith‌ I ADORE Singin' In The Rain - I watch it every year or so, and have done since I was little. The talent of Gene Kelly and Donald O'Connor blows me away. It boggles my mind to think how fit they must have been. In the "Good Morning" scene you can really see Debbie Reynolds working to keep up with them - and she does, bless her. But they make it look like a breeze.
  • I don't want to say Godfather 1 & 2 on the same list but they're both amazing. So here's my roughly ordered list:
    • The Godfather
    • Star Wars
    • Pulp Fiction
    • Dr. Strangelove
    • Raiders of the Lost Ark
    There are several that are super close to cracking the top 5, like Rocky, but I can't remove anything in good conscience.
    JayInMemphis
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Wow, what a hard exercise. I believe I had 11. To narrow down to 5 I went with the films I've actually WATCHED the most times.

The Godfather
    Saving Private Ryan
    Goodfellas
    Pulp Fiction
    Do The Right Thing
  • How come Dee got six??

I'd go with:

The Bridge on the River Kwai
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Pulp Fiction
    The Godfather
    Goodfellas
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @tom_g‌ I took advantage of the "or as many as you like" bit. :-)
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited January 2015
    1)The Godfather
    2)Dr Strangelove
    3)Goodfellas
    4)Rear Window
    5)Pulp Fiction

That was hard and I actually feel bad for not including some of the others, I would casually throw away the statement 'that film is totally in my top 5 of all time', without ever actually compiling the list and especially never by ranking, I've had to face up to that lack of commitment here and it wasn't nice.

I wrote a bit of rant and then deleted it here, about why films like A clockwork orange, Lawrence of Arabia etc are considered American films, when they've got a British cast, British Director and in ACWO entirely filmed & set in the UK, but i argued myself full circle to that if you're putting up the cash, you basically own it.. I'd hate the 'big 6' if they hadn't financed the greatest films of all time.
  • This was a very difficult task, and it has reminded there are many movies I need to watch!

All About Eve (definitely the top of this particular list)
    Pulp Fiction
    Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf
    The Deer Hunter
    The Shawshank Redemption

I almost included Duck Soup, but truthfully Monkey Business is my favorite Marx Brothers movie.
    I probably should have included Raider's of the Lost Ark and Star Wars, but being that I was born in the seventies and a child of the eighties, I feel those are a given and are understood as such. Maybe I am cheating a little. Sorry! ;)
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Tough task to pick out just 5, but my all time favorite movies are on this list so I'll just go with that. In my favorite order:
    Godfather I & II**
    Shawshank Redemption
    Jaws
    Pulp Fiction
    Goodfellas

** I rank I&II together because IMO they really need to widely release the Godfather saga (I&II edited together in chronological order) and it would end up on every list as the greatest movie of all time.
  • JayInMemphisJayInMemphis Memphis, TN
    Damn, this is a difficult exercise. Not everything that I might consider for my Top 5 made the list, but working within this universe of American and sometimes British movie classics, these jump out for crackling scripts, ensemble performances, and added texture like music or cinematography:

Casablanca
    12 Angry Men
    Network
    The Treasure of the Sierra Madre
    Jaws #jawsisbetter

Yeah, tough choices. Dr. Strangelove is getting plenty of love in here, so I left it off as a 5B. Had a hard time choosing a Hitchcock, but Vertigo isn't my favorite of his (I love Rear Window, which was on, and Rope, which wasn't).

When picking a single film as opposed to a body of work, it's strange which directors came up. I mean, OK, John Ford, but I wouldn't have guessed Spielberg about myself. Love Sidney Lumet though.
    TaraC73
  • I'm going to name my top 5 films not already on someone's list.

The Grapes of Wrath
    The Searchers
    Blade Runner
    It Happened One Night
    Unforgiven

• Star Wars 
    Saving Private Ryan
    Raiders of the Lost Ark
    Shawshank Redemption

then its a tie between Lord of the Rings and Toy Story

TaraC73
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    If Captain America The Winter Soldier is not on that list then the AFI can go f**k itself
    TaraC73Travis
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Just kidding! There's no way I could choose 5 of these and put them in order. Pulp Fiction is probably the most fun for me, but Star Wars and ET have so much more sentimental value. Citizen Kane is a towering achievement, as is the pair of Godfathers and Apocalypse Now. The is nothing like Taxi Driver or Clockwork Orange or Cuckoo's Nest. This list is a little suspect to me, anyway; like many "best" lists, it is drama-heavy and very much "genre films need not apply."
    TravisEmmelyne
This discussion has been closed.