Season one rewatch

Hey I know GOT just ended but last night made me think about the super long widtdrwawl I'm about to have. Do we know when seson one rewatch is going to start?

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Well there is still a Season 6 Wrap-Up episode that I'd imagine will drop sometime this week. If memory serves Season 1 starts up next week. I really wouldn't be surprised or blame the guys if they put it off another week though. I have a feeling Game of Thrones is ultimately going to break @A_Ron_Hubbard . Game of Thrones...Breaker of A.Rons.
    Llaurenunread
  • We just dropped the season 6 wrapup and we're rolling right into the season 1 rewatch which will start next Tuesday.
    KingKobraLlaurenvoodooratDancesWithWookiesTravisBwgameofhome
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited July 2016
    Are you guys doing one episode a week or bingeing?
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited July 2016

I for one think they should just do one mega cast breaking down and analyzing every single scene of the season as if it was one episode.
    Drew
  • Freddy said:

I for one think they should just do one mega cast breaking down and analyzing every single scene of the season as if it was one episode.
    Lol. I guess what I meant was, are they gonna bunch a few episodes into 1 pod like they do with Netflix shows? Or do a pod for each individual episode? Just trying to plan my re-watch to coincide.

TheLord
  • A. Ron said in the season6 wrap-up episode that the rewatch would be same as it has been--one episode per week with a spoiler section at the end.
    KingKobrahisdudeness915Bwgameofhome
  • @Jim and @A_Ron_Hubbard wondering if you'll throw in the differences between the original pilot and the aired pilot.

http://gameofthrones.wikia.com/wiki/Pilot_episode
  • TheLordTheLord Leeds, UK

Freddy said:

Lol. I guess what I meant was, are they gonna bunch a few episodes into 1 pod like they do with Netflix shows? Or do a pod for each individual episode? Just trying to plan my re-watch to coincide.

This is me also! I decided a while ago to rewatch as I reckon there will be so much you notice from earlier seasons that only makes sense now we've seen where every character is at etc.. I'm going to coincide with the Podcast also
  • Melia004 said:

A. Ron said in the season6 wrap-up episode that the rewatch would be same as it has been--one episode per week with a spoiler section at the end.

Thanks!
  • JustinJustin Dallas
    I'm all caught up on the show, but I've not read the books. I hate missing the spoilore episodes, but I don't want to be spoiled. 

Will the spoiler section of the season 1 rewatch podcasts be safe for me? Will they only spoil the later seasons of the show, or will they include book stuff that hasn't happened on the show as of season 6?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    There really isn't any book stuff left to be honest, and there's no way Winds is coming out between now and then.  

Traditionally, the spoiler section on rewatches is for people who have seen the entire series, else you'd have to have a spoiler section, and a spoiler-spoiler section, and it gets kind of ridiculous.  I imagine the spoiler section is going to consist of a) things that were foreshadowed early on that we now know are significant, b) popular theories at the time that have later been disproven, c) meta discussion on season six and the books, because that stuff never stops.

As always, if you are a super spoiler phobe, the spoiler sections are emphatically not for you.  Read all the books and watch all the shows and then listen to them.  If you've seen the entire show, then at this point, the spoiler section won't really spoil you on anything, because we're all out of book knowledge, for the most part.  Like 97%/3% revealed / non-revealed.
    Bwgameofhome
  • JustinJustin Dallas
    Thanks A Ron, I kind of figured that would be the answer. I didn't know we were at 97%/3%. Looking forward to the rewatch!

• I think you guys said it in your podcast - GRRM seems to be enjoying the influence and popularity the TV series has finally given his books, and he seems reluctant to hasten the finishing of his series....  I would still hold out hope he'd get Winds finished before the next season..

I might, at least for the season one wrap up, also point out differences between the books and the series. 
  • edited July 2016
    @A_Ron_Hubbard - Is there a possibility you guys do a reading rather than , or in addition to, a re-watch? We're not going to really cover any new ground with a re-watch and it would be cool to see Jim get the context from the books. All the new interesting characters, all the details filled in, etc.
    HedgeKnight84x
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard  -  Do your SpoiLore editions include knowledge of the books outside of the main canon, such as GRRM's "The World of Ice and Fire"?  Because that book has answers about whether dragons can be killed (and how), whether non-Targaryens can be dragon-riders, backstories on the main families, including the Baratheons, Starks, and Lannisters, conflicts between church and state, etc.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Is that starting this week?  If so, what day of the week will it be?
  • They really made it seem like the GoT 'cast would continue on its regular schedule. I am assuming no seperate SpoiLore 'cast, though.
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited July 2016
    Can't wait. I was planning on watching S01E01 Sunday night at 9, but I forgot. I'll likely watch weekly on Sundays the way I did every episode.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yes, it will come out on Tuesday afternoons, no separate spoiler podcast, just the standard after the show music spoiler feature.
    KingKobraBwgameofhome
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Question: In the pilot episode, why does it fall to Ned to execute the deserter? Is it because he is Warden of the North or would the same be expected from any lord of the realm that caught a deserter? After 6 seasons it seems to me that the Night's Watch would be the type to keep that kind of justice in-house.
  • Frakkin T said:

Question: In the pilot episode, why does it fall to Ned to execute the deserter? Is it because he is Warden of the North or would the same be expected from any lord of the realm that caught a deserter? After 6 seasons it seems to me that the Night's Watch would be the type to keep that kind of justice in-house.

I assumed the guy somehow got away from the Black Brothers, but I guess they never showed that, so TV logic dictates that a decapitation by Ned be shown in the premiere that can be reflected in the season finale.
  • @Frakkin T I believe it's his duty as Warden of the North. He certainly gave the vibe that it wasn't really something he enjoyed doing. Cat even asked if he had to and he replied with "He swore an oath." I think it was the show's first example of Ned's loyalty to the laws of the realm. That Ned, always a stickler
    KingKobra
  • Frakkin T said:

If they had caught him, most likely it would have stayed in house. Ned and his men caught him however and as it's been said, most likely due to the fact that he's WotN it would be his duty to carry out execution. That duty may fall to whomever caught a deserter though (if carry out the judgement, you carry out the punishment).
    jmars99
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @Frakkin T  Desertion is taken very seriously, especially from the Night's Watch, which is partially staffed by an assortment of dangerous criminals in the first place. Thus, any lord may execute a deserter found on his land. They would not risk resources extraditing the oathbreaker to the Wall.

In the book, Ned tells Bran: "In truth, the man was an oathbreaker, a deserter from the Night’s Watch. No man is more dangerous. The deserter knows his life is forfeit if he is taken, so he will not flinch from any crime, no matter how vile."
    jmars99TheEconomist
  • PSPS Montreal, Canada
    How will the spoiler sections compare to the old Night's Watch spoiler sections? I'm in mid season 3 on my first watch through and have been listening to the Night's Watch podcasts (including spoiler section) after watching each episode. I really like how A Ron deals with the spoilers on that podcast (no unnecessary spoilers, giving background info and highlighting the deviations from the book). Will the new podcast's spoilers be similar to that? Or will it outright talk about what happens on the show in future (post season 3) seasons? 
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Good points about Ned and the deserter; thanks guys. I think the TV logic is the strongest argument but @pavlovsbell brings in the book knowledge for the pragmatic answer. 
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited July 2016
    @Frakkin T  Aw, I don't wanna be pragmatic. ;)

This scene is how the first chapter of A Game of Thrones opens (after the White Walker prologue), and it is from Bran's POV. Both Bran and the audience are introduced to several ideas and to Ned, the serious hero. Ned's decapitation, however, occurs in the penultimate episode, not the series finale (but his story within the larger narrative does have the decapitation framing device, which serves to contrast Ned/Starks and Joffrey/Lannisters as well as illustrate larger themes of justice, honor, power, responsibility, cruelty, etc.). Both the book and the show use the ultimate framing device of ominous magic creeping in at the edges: the White Walkers and Dany and her dragons.  So yes, there is a deliberate framing device going on here, but it's one nestled within a larger one, which I suppose could be read as an indicator to what the arguably more important story ultimately is.

• jmars99jmars99 Philly, PA
    KingKobra said:

Frakkin T said:

If they had caught him, most likely it would have stayed in house. Ned and his men caught him however and as it's been said, most likely due to the fact that he's WotN it would be his duty to carry out execution. That duty may fall to whomever caught a deserter though (if carry out the judgement, you carry out the punishment).

Additionally, it is a theme introduced immediately and that is repeated throughout the entire series.  "The man who passes the sentence should swing the sword".  Ned does that here.  Robb does it in season 3. Theon does it on his return to Winterfell in season 2 but isn't real great at it and needs a few hacks.  Jon does it to his betrayer after his orders as Lord Commander are not followed in season 5?  (all "Northerners" or at least raised in the ways of the North). But of course Joffrey won't do it when it comes to Ned in season 1.  He leaves it to Ser Ilyn Payne to clearly show the contrast in style.
    KingKobraTravissleepy_orange
  • jmars99jmars99 Philly, PA
    PS said:

How will the spoiler sections compare to the old Night's Watch spoiler sections? I'm in mid season 3 on my first watch through and have been listening to the Night's Watch podcasts (including spoiler section) after watching each episode. I really like how A Ron deals with the spoilers on that podcast (no unnecessary spoilers, giving background info and highlighting the deviations from the book). Will the new podcast's spoilers be similar to that? Or will it outright talk about what happens on the show in future (post season 3) seasons? 
    Per A Ron, if you are a "spoiler phobe", don't listen to the spoiler section.  The first part of the recap will cover only what it is happening in that episode.  They will play outro-music followed by "AND WE'RE BACK!" and will go right into a spoiler section where anything through the end of season 6 and all the books will be discussed.  I have not read the books but per A Ron above, the books are addressed in the series to the tune of about 97% and there isn't anything too significant.  But per your note, if you are only halfway through season 3 and, like Jon Snow, know nothing (about the seasons to come), you best be skipping the spoiler section and tune out once they play that music.
  • Just started rewatching. Wow, the production values are different.  Ned and the boys going out in the woods looks like something out of Masterpiece Theater or Mystery.  Inspector Morse of Westeros?
    pavlovsbell