GoT books

I don't make resolutions because as a rule they set you up for failure... But this year I want to read 4 books. I (literally) haven't read a book in 7 years. I need to finish the Dark Tower series, under the Dome, and then I am considering reading GoT. But is it an easy read? I'm not talking harlequin "novel" read with half a brain in two hours old. I'm talking not Shakespeare or the Hobbit (yah yah. I can't get into hobbit. Tried twice!)

Comments

• ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    edited January 2015
    @TaraC73‌ I personally didn't find them that difficult, especially if you've already seen the show as you have a clear vision/voice and visage for the characters already. I did the audio books and they helped greatly.
  • I read two of them and did the audio version of the third (and about half of the fourth but my iPod crapped out on me and lost my place in the book and I was too mad to buy the book and figure it all out, but I digress). They're a bit laborious (at least from the perspective of not having seen the show, which I hadn't at the time) but they're definitely worth it. There are a whole lot of moving parts, and I feel like I felt they could be a bit heavy with the description of things (which can be good and sometimes can make me feel a little bogged down), but the story is very, very cool. I would recommend giving it a try.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yup, seeing the show first helps out immensely. They are told in a much more accessible and entertaining way than The Hobbit or Lord of the Rings, for that matter.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Thanks guys!! somone had mentioned watching the show first - is it available on Netflix? Do the seasons go by the book (book 1 = season 1) or would that make watching and reading simultaneously too easy ;)

I read two of them and did the audio version of the third (and about half of the fourth but my iPod crapped out on me and lost my place in the book and I was too mad to buy the book and figure it all out, but I digress). They're a bit laborious (at least from the perspective of not having seen the show, which I hadn't at the time) but they're definitely worth it. There are a whole lot of moving parts, and I feel like I felt they could be a bit heavy with the description of things (which can be good and sometimes can make me feel a little bogged down), but the story is very, very cool. I would recommend giving it a try.

Did you think the audio book was easier? I'm considering joining audible (shout out BM sponsor!!) :)
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    TaraC73 said:

Thanks guys!! somone had mentioned watching the show first - is it available on Netflix? Do the seasons go by the book (book 1 = season 1) or would that make watching and reading simultaneously too easy ;)

@TaraC73‌ They are available on HBO Go and Audible respectively.
  • It depends on the consumer really. I read a little slower and at times like I said I get a little bogged down when things get really descriptive so the audio books worked well for me, particularly in the case of the GoT books, but if you tend to sort of check out when you listen to things for a long time it may be to your detriment (the audio version is approximately 34 hours long). It may have also helped that I had read the first two books and had a feel for a lot of the characters before moving into the audiobooks. Like I said, there are a lot of moving parts. Also, if you've watched the show a lot of that aspect will be solved too because you are already familiar with the universe and the characters. I guess my terribly overly conditioned answer is that if you can stay engaged with an audiobook then I think it is a very good way to do it. I like Audible (though I don't use it nearly as much as I should. we have tons of credits waiting to be used). Plus, you get a free book credit for joining so you could just grab it and if you feel like reading the actual book would work better for you, you haven't lost anything.
    Thanks travis :)
    I'll look into HBO go! Maybe I'll watch season 1 and see how I like it first before trying the books.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I watched the first season on HBO then devoured the 5 books. The first 3 books are the easiest to read and digest. The 4th and 5th might find audible easier or read them combined. Just watch the first season on HBO and the books go down quite easily :smiley:
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    If you are planning on using audio books make sure you get a copy of the maps from the front of the book, I found that I was always flipping between where I was reading/listening, the maps and the house lists at the back of the books.

As far as books against the show the first 2 seasons pretty much follow the book structure with not too much difference it gets a little dicey explaining it from there without the risk of spoiling either the books or the show for you.
    Thanks Dave :)
    Elisa sounds like the way to go!!
  • I read through all the books in 4 months last year, after being current with the show. The nice thing about the books is that each chapter is a different character POV, so its very digestible when you don't have hours and hours to read. I could read 2 character's chapters on a lunch break and not have any problems getting my bearings. I loved reading it on kindle because I am not an expert on armor or horses, and using the dictionary feature helped me discern the difference between a courser and a destrier.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Another option for the maps is the World of Ice and Fire map for your phone or The World of Ice and Fire Book or Land of Ice and Fire books.
    Thanks! B)
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I'll add that you don't need the maps. It's entirely possible to read / enjoy the show with no real knowledge about how near or far away things are, because so far, it hasn't mattered. Hell, I think that's how Jim visualizes things, I tried last year to work out with him where everything was and his eyes glazed over, but again, it's not like GRRM is really faithful about how long it would take to travel from Kings Landing to The Wall and back. I swear to god some of these characters have hyperdrives shoved up the asses of their horses. It helps if you can remember how is across the narrow sea and who is not, but that's pretty easy.

By all means, having a nice map besides you does help to immerse you in the world.

I'd also recommend the audiobooks. I usually don't like them, but the old fellow they have reading them (Roy Dotrice? I believe he had a cameo as the pyromancer in season 2) is just fantastic with voices. He gives almost everyone a identifiable vocal characteristic which helps keep who is who sorted. And, not to sound too much like an ad, but the whispersync stuff is really incredible, where it keeps track of where you are no matter if you're reading on a kindle or listening to the audible app in your car.

Thanks a.ron, I like the idea of a map - when I used to read I was a very visual reader. I can look past the amount of time it takes a character to get somewhere ... I love 24 despite the fact that it only takes Jack 5 minutes to get from A to B in L.A.! ;)