Jim and Aron what about doing a podcast on...tv series suggestions/ pitches

I apologize if this discussion topic has already been posted, I couldn't find it.

So, share ideas of gems you've found. Even if the tv series is over, or has a number of seasons that need to be watched to catch up, or middle of a season with episodes that need to be binged watched.

Share, share, share your suggestions, even if we don't get a podcast, at least we will get lots of great tv reccomendations, we can watch on our own :)

To get the conversation going, here's my suggestion: The Tunnel

There are three versions of this TV series, the original was French, the second from the Netherlands and the last American.

Its obviously popular, to give you a quick tease, in the first episode, a body of a dead woman is found in the tunnel that goes from the Uk to France. The body is placed right in the middle of the French/Uk border, the U.K. police and French police arrive at the scene, since the body is technically in both French and British jurisdiction. The French win, however as they begin to lift the body, they discover, it has been split, or severed completely, and two separate bodies, matched up to look as one. Therefore, there are 2 separate murders, one in France, one in the UK.

PBS is currently playing the French version, The Tunnel, every Sunday at 10. You can also watch it online on thier website. I've seen all versions and the French is the best. If you don't like sub titles, there aren't that many as only the characters who are French speak French and only when the person they are speaking to is also French.

The first 3 episodes have aired on PBS, but all 3 are available to watch on thier website. It's good television!!
Maybe, Jim and Aron can do one podcast at the end of the season. Or not, just a suggestion.

Podcast or no podcast, If any Baldies haven't seen it, I'd highly suggest you watch it. The Netherlands and American versions are on Hulu, they are good. I'm biased towards the French being the best, but what do I know? :)

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Back in the '00s there were a lot of shows that were trying to be the next Lost. I'm thinking of stuff like The River, Flash-Forward, the Event, The Nine, etc. It would be cool to hear a discussion of those and others, because some of them had decent premises but none of them were anything more than an obvious cash grab in the wake of a massive smash hit. 
    [Deleted User]Michelle
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Flash Forward was great. I've always felt like it was unjustly cancelled.
  • I *loved* the premise of FlashForward, but it was not very well written or executed, and I couldn't stand most of the actors, particularly the skinny, bearded, alcoholic dude and his amputee daughter. It would have been an amazing series if well made, but I don't know that with this premise it would have been possible. It gave us such high expectations, I don't think there was any way not to let us down...
    I liked Flash-Forward for a long time, and they even had the bonus of having 2 Lost actors (Sonya Walger and Dom Monaghan) but they lost all of my respect when they scored a shootout scene with a ridiculous cover of Dylan's "Like a Rolling Stone."
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited July 2016
    Starting a rewatch on Hulu! S1E1 here I come!

Edit: fell asleep & now I've lost interest. Oh well. I did notice though that the opening scenes' sequence is a total nod to LOST, where we have the hero waking up amidst complete wreckage and screaming people, looking around to find out wth happened, etc. And, he's a recovering, and later, full functioning, alcoholic - Jack 2.0? The only difference is that he is a cop and not a surgeon. I don't remember putting that together the first time .
    Frakkin T
  • jmars99jmars99 Philly, PA
    I really really wanted to like flash forward, but gave up after a half dozen episodes.  I think they hit a holiday hiatus and I "noped out" at that point.   and that was back in a time where I had trouble divorcing shows.
    Michelle said:

Starting a rewatch on Hulu! S1E1 here I come!

Edit: fell asleep & now I've lost interest. Oh well. I did notice though that the opening scenes' sequence is a total nod to LOST, where we have the hero waking up amidst complete wreckage and screaming people, looking around to find out wth happened, etc. And, he's a recovering, and later, full functioning, alcoholic - Jack 2.0? The only difference is that he is a cop and not a surgeon. I don't remember putting that together the first time .

...that was the main problem. It was a good premise but it wasn't built on the foundation of "Hey this is a great new idea and I bet it would make an entertaining and engaging series." It was more like a network suit saying "Hey we're over here counting all this Lost money--let's do it again but just different enough so people won't see that we have nothing new to say."
    Travis
  • I would have loved a podcast on "The Wire" or "Six Feet Under". Knowing that Curb is coming back, a rewatch of Curb Your Enthusiasm could work well and should not be more than 80 minutes.
    Melia004
  • I would have loved a podcast on "The Wire" or "Six Feet Under". Knowing that Curb is coming back, a rewatch of Curb Your Enthusiasm could work well and should not be more than 80 minutes.

You're in luck - A.Ron's ultimate The Wire podcast is in the works, and could be here as soon as 2027.

(No but seriously that is something that's he's working on, although I don't know if it'll ever actually happen)
    ryanfosterTravisReni
  • @SomeBiscuit it does not even need to be the regular 1episode overview. Maybe a two episode character breakdown would work. I remember listening to a bald move TV podcast about Omar in two episodes where A.Ron mentioned it. It would be dope but alas.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA

I would have loved a podcast on "The Wire" or "Six Feet Under". Knowing that Curb is coming back, a rewatch of Curb Your Enthusiasm could work well and should not be more than 80 minutes.

Currently on season 2 of the wire so a podcast would've been great but alas.

If I remember correctly, I could've sworn Aron said on a lunch that he's watching or planning to watch Curb in light of the new season news. Would be great to get a podcast on each season at least. Especially with the final two seasons. Larry and Leon are gems.
  • There is a great TV show called "Utopia" from the UK, unfortunately it had only 2 seasons.
    Also the new Preacher series is pretty good so far.
    Zesder
  • ZesderZesder Tasmania
    I totally agree with RM. Utopia (UK) is one of my top 10 tv shows. Love to hear something about it.
    Also I would like to hear their opinion on the new Netflix show Stranger Things.