Best Snacks When Watching Television??

AndrewAndrew New York
edited January 2015 in General
What do you prefer to eat when watching your programs?

Whatever you pick, please elaborate... my mouth is bored, and not in a Gus Fring type of way.

Comments

• AndrewAndrew New York
    Personally, I prefer to eat salty snacks, such as chips, popcorn, or nachos. But I think it really depends what I'm watching.

If I'm watching sports, I prefer to eat lighter, so I can marathon it and eat consistently throughout the program. If I'm watching an hour of, say, Fargo, I might opt for pizza or a sammich.

What say you?
  • I'm also a salt man. I rarely eat anything sweeter than a piece of fruit. Flavored chips like Doritos are fine but my weakness is for the kettle-cooked chips. Pistachios are good for short stuff like the hour of Fargo. I used to snack on a ton of sunflower seeds. It's a habit I picked up from my dad who used to eat them a handful at a time while watching TV. They're good because they're low in calories and they take a second to de-shell.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    One of my go tos is a small dish (they have a technical term, like the shit restaurants serves ketchup in) with pecans or almonds and chocolate chips. It's like trailmix, only for TV. Telemix?
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited January 2015
    I answered "salty snacks" but it really just depends on the moment for me. I like almonds a lot or carrots and hummus, popcorn is rare but always very appreciated (especially with some drizzled sriracha). One of the big tv times for my wife and I is dinner time (we always eat dinner on the couch/coffee table, we haven't used our dinner table in around 3 years) so I almost answered "full meal." Sandwiches are probably my biggest weakness in general (we moved recently and there is the best sandwich shop about 5 minutes from our new place, it f'n rules), pizza is of course always great. Last night my wife made a thing where she put baked potato fixings on top of baked cauliflower and it was really, really good. I like sweets but I try not to allow myself to eat them too often. That said, they have these Skinny Cow chocolate wafer things that have been circulating around our house lately that are fantastic. You can never go wrong with ice cream, and baileys in hot chocolate, maybe with an additional splash of brandy. Yum.

Sorry, I like rambling about food.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I'm a nibbler, so it's usually nuts and seeds (sometimes raw), edamame, cheese (LOVE cheese plates), pâté, hummus, those frozen hors d'oeuvres like spanakopita triangles and mini-quiches, and sushi/sashimi if it's mealtime.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Salty goes well with some beer :smile:
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Who cares about snacks, just pass the wine. ;-)
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    got to go salty and sweet, Popcorn and M&M's always hits the spot. It sounds wrong until you try it and then its magnificent. Its not an everyday thing but just for binge watching sessions.
  • @davemcb‌ Agreed! The chocolate candy mixed in with the popcorn thing is definitely a good way to go. Whoppers work really well too. When I had a movie theater gig in my late teens there was a lot of that combination. (I don't know why all teenagers don't line up out the door for movie theater jobs. Best student job ever!)
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Dee said:

Who cares about snacks, just pass the wine. ;-)

For sure! Beer or a nice mixed drink. If it's got to be food then I tend to go for microwaved Delimex chicken taquitos.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I should add that I rarely eat while watching television, unless I'm marathoning something. I did go through a kettlecorn phase a few years ago, but they retired the only two flavors I liked: Summer Picnic BBQ and Smokehouse Cheddar.

I'm with @Dee, I'm usually fine with wine.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I could go my whole life without eating another sweet food. But I would die without my chips and dip or nachos!!
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    I feel like beef jerky is a very overlooked snack. I hardly ever buy it, but whenever I eat it, I enjoy it.
  • @AndrewTobey‌ that's because it's the same price as gold bullion, lb for lb. It's great though.