Episode 201 & 202 - "unm4sk-pt1.tc" & "unm4sk-pt2.tc"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Written and directed by Sam Esmail
Elisa

Comments

• Very promising start to the new season. A number of memorable scenes, off the top of my head;

Elliott's routine montage (I like the idea of a 20-something year old watching Seinfeld for the first time and having his mind blown)

Darlene fucking with the E-Corp lawyer's smart home

The perfect use of Phil Collins during the money-burning scene

The scene where he imagined cutting Gideon's throat. And then Gideon gets shot out of nowhere ... RIP poor, poor Gideon

Craig Robinson waxing dog-philosophy

And in keeping with the fight club themes, it seems like Elliott has been up to some Tyler Durden-esque nighttime shenanigans.
    ElisaThe_Third_Manjmars99TheEconomist
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    That was awesome. There are certainly a few silly things, a speech or two that was maybe a few feet over the top, but overall, wow. Elliott laughing might be the most unsettling thing I've seen all year. And I've seen The Conjuring 2.
    ElisapavlovsbellThe_Third_ManKingKobraTheEconomist
  • That was a pretty good start to the season. I was getting frustrated they weren't going to show Tyrell Wellick but then the phone call was at least something. Honestly I thought he might be dead. And his wife is now a main character? That's strange. 

When Craig Robinson showed up it was definitely a wtf moment. Also, why oh why do they have to reuse the secret service/government people on shows. That guy with Tyrell's wife is on House of Cards in pretty much the exact same roll. They do the same thing with Mafia guys in all movies and tv shows. Its like the same 5 people. Give someone else a chance lol.
    Elisapavlovsbell
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited July 2016
    I am going to miss Gideon, he may have been the only sympathetic character in this show

The flashbacks to young Eliot, when his Dad pushed him out the window, we see the parents fight and then the hospital, Doctor and the brain X-Ray. Are they insinuating that there are Eliott has some physical issues as well that were caused by his father and that push?

Why is he back with his abusive Mom?

Really enjoyed his session with His shrink Gloria Reuben.

It looks like Tyrell and Elliot or his Mr Robot alter ego were working together after all.

Gosh I really wanted Angela to go undercover at E Corp and destroy them. It looks like she is wavering. I guess she likes being a corporate bad ass.

Great episode.
    DrewpavlovsbellDoctor_Nick
  • edited July 2016
    I'm glad Wellick isn't going to be a cheap season long mystery for Elliot.  He's alive and on the phone.  I also really dug how Elliot's routine was sort of an attempt to drive Mr. Robot insane.  The monotony and staying with his mother... no wonder he kept shooting Elliot in the head.  Did anyone else spend 10 minutes looking at reactions and speech patterns to see if Leon was real? Yeah, me neither...
    Elisapavlovsbell
  • I'm still itchin to know who knocked on Elliot's door at the end of season 1. While she was only in screen for a few minutes I loved the FBI cybercrime woman, I read she is the daughter of Meryl Fucking Streep!!!!!!!!
    Elisa
  • did anyone notice the pseudo patriotic music during Pryce's sermon to I'm guessing are members of congress who bailed out Evil Corp. a little heavy handed perhaps, that particular trope has been done so many times, I long for the few times that music is not played ironically.
  • Are we supposed to infer that Elliot's hallucinations are the result of a brain injury caused by his dad pushing him out of his bedroom window?
    Elisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited July 2016
    adobo1148 said:

did anyone notice the pseudo patriotic music during Pryce's sermon to I'm guessing are members of congress who bailed out Evil Corp. a little heavy handed perhaps, that particular trope has been done so many times, I long for the few times that music is not played ironically.

That music was the title score to The Parallax View, the second of Alan Pakula's political paranoia trilogy. I rather thought it was a playful touch, like using the Pixies' Where Is My Mind? last season. In an episode that was grim to deeply unsettling, I appreciate the few winks they gave us.
    ElisaThe_Third_Man
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    There are theories out there that Elliot killed Tyrell with the gun Darlene left in the popcorn maker. I hope not.
    ksa1001
    I don't think Elliot killed Tyrell.

1. Murder, or even violence, is not Elliot's nature. Elliot is self-harming; he doesn't (physically) harm others.
    2. It would take Elliot down an unsympathetic path for a protagonist.
    3. That would be a problematic way to depict Elliot's mental health issues, and I think the show has handled his mental health fairly well, but it walks an extremely fine edge.
    ElisaTheEconomist
  • edited July 2016
    Interesting little off-hand comment at the start of Angela's first scene - the secretary on the phone going on about how everyone hates her, throwing in at the end something about how people have seen Angela "talk to herself". 

Throw away line or hint at something bigger, there is after all another pretty prominent character that "talks to himself", no? There were a few interesting parallels set up between the two:

1.  Elliot is trying to shut off every last bit of influence from what he feels is his oppressor, Angela has completely enveloped herself in hers.

2.   Both are trying to convince themselves they have ways to help control (or at least manage) their struggle - Elliott/journal and routine, Angela/Self Help DVDs and affirmations (also interesting, Elliott's approach is internally driven and private Angela's is external and "commercial")

3.  Both are driving away people who are (at least outwardly) invested in trying to connect with and help them - Elliott/Ray, Angela/lawyer

Could be nothing, but still caught my attention
    ElisaThe_Third_ManpavlovsbellTheEconomistksa1001Melonusk
  • Theory:

Elliot killed Wellick and now Wellick is another character in his head.

Elliot is the one who gave the phone to Wellicks wife.

ElisaThe_Third_Man
  • I'm was OK with  start of the season.

I like the takeover of the lawyers house, but how secure is it,  Aren't they at risk for her stopping by to pick up something she forgot to needs.  It's not like she spent a whole lot of time packing.

They didn't really say what Elliott as Mr. Robot agreed to do or did for Ray - the guy with the dog at the basketball game.  Wonder if that is going to pop back up and be a plot point in the future or was it just to demonstare Elliott routine wasn't working as he thought?

The scene with Elliott laughing and Mr Robot looking confused and taken aback really has me spinning.  Is it a start of Elliott being able to control him?  How does an alter ego get confused by the action of the host person?  Is it indicating a larger separation/break is coming.  I'm sooo confused...

I had a problem with the money burning -  The CTO Knowles(?)  was so tough guy about not giving in and then deciding to me the guy to do the drop - but he was so quick and scared when he burned the money.   seemed like a character break.

• POOR GIDEON....... Revolution is paved with the bodies of the decent
    Elisaksa1001
    Just saw the theories about Elliot being in prison or a mental health facility. I had the impression that he was in rehab. He has tried to control his habit before, and that did not go so well. Part of his paranoia would be to deny or play down his mental illness while blaming it mostly on his drug abuse (when really, the two things are related), and if he were in a health facility, he would be heavily medicated and less likely to experience these delusions for someone so high functioning off his meds in S1. 

He might be in a mental health facility, but I definitely do not think he is prison.
    The_Third_ManElisajmars99
  • edited July 2016
    The only thing I know for sure is that I don't know anything for sure concerning the reality of Elliott's situation as depicted so far in S2. Prison (probably not), mental institution (more likely), rehab (could be)...living at his Mother's house and voluntarily eating at the same time with the same person and watching the same pick-up game every day and going to a church group (no chance). I think more signs point to a voluntary commital with therapy sessions (group and with Krista) as part of the program. I would imagine that voluntary commitals have less of a chance for high drug inducements by the facilities...as opposed to an involuntary commital. The voluntary commital would also track with Darlene and Gideon being able to visit him but no one else knowing where he is. If he was in prison everyone would know (and why would it only be him). The voluntary commital would also track with Elliott's desire to try and get rid of Mr. Robot by purposely subjecting himself to this "analog" routine/loop. But really, I don't think we are meant to really know what is going on yet and that is a major draw of this show.

What a great first episode. Rami Malick is on another level. I'm really glad I watched The Pacific before this show aired last year as this is the type of role that Rami will be associated with for the rest of his career...for better or worse. It would have been hard going back and watching Elliott Alderson as WWII soldier!

So long Gideon...you upstanding, moral sonofabitch, you.
    Elisa
  • edited July 2016

That was a pretty good start to the season. I was getting frustrated they weren't going to show Tyrell Wellick but then the phone call was at least something. Honestly I thought he might be dead. And his wife is now a main character? That's strange. 

Good chance he is actually dead. Or at least a decent chance. In no way do I think that call at the end was some kind of reality buoy in Elliott's existence. It could turn out to actually be Tyrell on that phone call, but I didn't get a big reality vibe from it.

Ray and his dog could also be new Elliott delusions...or not...or maybe.
    Elisa
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited July 2016

I don't think Elliot killed Tyrell.

1. Murder, or even violence, is not Elliot's nature. Elliot is self-harming; he doesn't (physically) harm others.
    2. It would take Elliot down an unsympathetic path for a protagonist.
    3. That would be a problematic way to depict Elliot's mental health issues, and I think the show has handled his mental health fairly well, but it walks an extremely fine edge.
    Eh, I wouldn't be so secure in that. Elliott supposedly doesn't know how to use a gun, but the Mr. Robot side was sure aggressive with one getting Romero to come back into the fold during season 1.

Elisa
    @Doctor_Nick  That is a good point about Mr. Robot, but if Elliot is actually murderizing dudes and the show is keeping it from us (while still hinting that it may be a possibility), then I'm not down with that kind of storytelling. I think Elliot is supposed to be confused, just as he was with Mr. Robot in S1, but the show doesn't try too hard to hide things from the audience.

That said, I don't care about the "mysteries" or trying to solve them. I know other people do, and that's cool, but I'm just along for the ride. I enjoy* the disorientation of being in Elliot's POV and experiencing his reality with him.

*"Enjoy" is a weird word to use. I don't know how much I enjoy the show. I am virtually hypnotized by Rami Malek's performance, but the show itself is oppressive and grim. I wish they could find ways to add more comic relief to lighten the tone at least a little.
    Elisa
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited July 2016
    @pavlovsbell The Mr. Robot persona is getting more and more sinister.

It doesn't seem like the system has completely collapsed, just that there are info gaps and frequent hacks now that prevent the smooth operation if global finance. They haven't shown us massive homeless or unemployment camps yet, for instance.
    pavlovsbell
  • edited July 2016
    Something rubbed me the wrong way about the dog.  I looked closer and it's the same shot.  Maybe cropped a little tighter during the second meeting, but the feet, hair, shirt, hands, and everything else is the same.  It's either a clue that maybe Craig Robinson isn't real or it's a continuity error, in which fuck you Sam Esmail.  You can't write a show like this and have goofs like that.

The_Third_ManElisaA_Ron_HubbardGeorge
  • gvuolde said:

I like the takeover of the lawyers house, but how secure is it,  Aren't they at risk for her stopping by to pick up something she forgot to needs.  It's not like she spent a whole lot of time packing.

Someone mentioned that they were tracking her via the GPS on her phone, so they would've had a heads up if she turned around for something.
    Elisaksa1001
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    Well, there goes the only character I had sympathy for!

Can't wait for everyone to get their comeuppance!

I feel bad for that lawyer getting her house hijacked. That would freak me the fuck out. 

And Darlene's speech was anything but rousing. I can't take her seriously with that voice.

Need to go back over season 1 again to revisit Angela's plot, as the details are a bit hazy still to me.

God, even The Leftovers is lighter and uplifting at points! Why can't we get a little happiness in all this depression?

Lots of setup in these two episodes (to be expected). They'll probably play around with Wellick being in Elliot's head for a bit. 

Still finding it hard to take Craig Robinson seriously after 9 years of The Office, and numerous comedy films. :)
    Elisa
  • I feel pretty confident that the Seinfeld bro wasn't real, but most of everything else just falls into the "maybe" pile. I was a little disappointed in the lack of anarchy that I was expecting from last year, but I guess that's part of the point. I'm also really tired of Joanna's masochism and hope it isn't brought up much. I'm sure it's a major part of her character, I just don't find it interesting to see her get beat up by choice all season. This is a fantastic show, though, and I already can't wait for the next episode. 
    Doctor_NickA_Ron_HubbardElisaThe_Third_ManKingKobraksa1001

That was awesome. There are certainly a few silly things, a speech or two that was maybe a few feet over the top, but overall, wow. Elliott laughing might be the most unsettling thing I've seen all year. And I've seen The Conjuring 2.

Elliot's laughing sequence was deeply upsetting for me. I know someone who has been struggling with schizophrenia his entire adult life, and he has laughing fits similar to Elliot's, and it's always so sad because it's painfully clear that he is mired so deeply in his delusion that no one can get through, and I can't help him. It's also upsetting because I cannot fathom being that alone and entrenched in a constructed reality, and how awful and terrifying it is for him.

Hysterical laughter is a madness trope, but I cannot think of another example offhand that was as effective as this. The directing, editing, music, and Christian Slater's reaction all added to it, but Rami Malek is just profoundly talented.
    ElisaGeorgeksa1001
  • jmars99jmars99 Philly, PA

Just saw the theories about Elliot being in prison or a mental health facility. I had the impression that he was in rehab. He has tried to control his habit before, and that did not go so well. Part of his paranoia would be to deny or play down his mental illness while blaming it mostly on his drug abuse (when really, the two things are related), and if he were in a health facility, he would be heavily medicated and less likely to experience these delusions for someone so high functioning off his meds in S1. 

He might be in a mental health facility, but I definitely do not think he is prison.
    Wow - -I didn't even think of that.  I am leaning towards Mental Health Facility vs prison (but it could be either).  Elliott has Breakfast, lunch and dinner with the same guy.  He has a routine.  The room looks like a cell-type setup.  They sit in the "yard" watching everyone play basketball.  He isn't using his computer anymore (maybe not by choice but he wouldn't have one in a mental health facility).  He could be projecting his mother into the image of someone there.  If this is the case, I wonder if this Act ends with Mr. Robot convincing him to get access to the facility's computer in order to break out? 
    Doctor_NickpavlovsbellElisa
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne

When Craig Robinson showed up it was definitely a wtf moment. Also, why oh why do they have to reuse the secret service/government people on shows. That guy with Tyrell's wife is on House of Cards in pretty much the exact same roll. They do the same thing with Mafia guys in all movies and tv shows. Its like the same 5 people. Give someone else a chance lol.
    Its the same as when you need a russian you go get Lev Gorn the guy that plays Arkady the Rezidentura in The Americans
    pavlovsbell
  • That was a pretty good start to the season. I was getting frustrated they weren't going to show Tyrell Wellick but then the phone call was at least something. Honestly I thought he might be dead. And his wife is now a main character? That's strange. 

Lol. My first thought when I saw that guy was I cant wait for the guys to call him Mr Chin or whatever the hell they called him in the HoC pod.

As for the episode, I thought it was pretty solid. Malik's performance alone is enough to keep me coming back. I've already been in awe and then he throws in that crazy laugh scene and damn. Only thing I'm not digging is Angela's plot. It seems rushed to me but I didn't do a season 1 rewatch so I could be just forgetting some things. I'll give it some more time before I start hating on it. Can't wait for the pod!!