2016 Emmys

fidozfidoz Houston
Not a single nomination for The Leftovers. Wow!
TravisMelonuskElisajmars99trippy

Comments

• TravisTravis CA
    edited July 2016

Yup, that's some grade A bullshit!

No love for Eva Green once again too.

Elisa
  • I can't say I'm really surprised. Let's just hope it gets noticed next time around for the final season.
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    The Leftovers snub is unfortunate, but I would have been surprised if it had garnered any nominations. I'm shocked by the nominations for The Americans (super happy, of course). It's the Emmys. They're still nominating House of Cards and Downton Abbey. I'm happy that they recognized some worthy nominees for several major categories.

Elisajmars99
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA

I can't say I'm really surprised. Let's just hope it gets noticed next time around for the final season.

I want to agree with you. But if they couldn't get love for this season, which I personally believe is the greatest single season in tv history, then next year might not be any different.

This is just embarrassing.
    Elisa
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    *off to check out the noms!!*
    As upset as I am that The Leftovers weren't nominated I must say that I am smiling ear to ear knowing that Lady Gaga wasn't either.
    MichelletxyesboyNathanElisa
  • edited July 2016

I can't say I'm really surprised. Let's just hope it gets noticed next time around for the final season.

I want to agree with you. But if they couldn't get love for this season, which I personally believe is the greatest single season in tv history, then next year might not be any different.

This is just embarrassing.
    I would agree with you, but this is the year The Americans got 5 (five!) nominations, so who knows what could happen next time around.
    Elisa
    @SomeBiscuit true. I'll try and be as optimistic as possible. Fingers crossed for next year
  • txyesboytxyesboy Fort Worth, Texas
    I honestly have no idea what is and what isn't considered "good television" given The Leftovers receives zero nominations.

Homeland??? Seriously? Remember when that show was good? Oh yeah, back when Damian Lewis realized it had become a shit show and got outta town. 

Hell, Emmys, if you really wannna piss people off, why don't you go ahead and nominate FTWD for Best Drama too?
    Elisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Thrilled to see Kathy Bates nominated for the role of Iris in American Horror Story.
    However, I'm disappointed to not see Denis O'Hare nominated for his performance as Liz Taylor in American Horror Story.  That man is one superbly talented actor and Liz Taylor is one of my favorite characters ever.   I feel like I need to be Septa Unella leading the Emmy board down the street, clanging my bell, and loudly proclaiming "SHAME.    SHAME.   SHAME."
    Elisajmars99
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA

My disappointment over The Leftovers is only slightly outweighed by my excitement over The Americans, but... yeah, that sucks.

Also extremely happy about Black-ish and Master of None, as well as Fargo and TP vs OJ.

But I don't really know what to say about shows like Homeland, House of Cards, and Modern Family still being Emmy darlings.  

Elisa
  • txyesboytxyesboy Fort Worth, Texas

As upset as I am that The Leftovers weren't nominated I must say that I am smiling ear to ear knowing that Lady Gaga wasn't either.

I was afraid she was going to light her farts on air, and they'd call it art. What a joke. The only thing "moving" about her acting was in my bowels....
    WonderedObject
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    The clouds have parted and the Emmy voters have finally come to their senses, The Mother Fucking Americans is nominated for Best Drama/Best Actor/Best Actress. During this season I said if they don't give some love to The Americans I would finally admit that these awards don't mean shit but here we are and the most masterfully crafted season of television has been nominated for the 3 top prizes, win or lose this is a pretty great achievement and a real gift to those at FX that stood by The Americans through some very abysmal ratings.
    pavlovsbellElisajmars99
  • Good ole Tom thinks 'limited series' ('American Horror', and 'Fargo') should be in the drama category?
  • How does Ray Donovan still garner nominations? 
    Elisaryanfoster
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I can't take the Emmys seriously if The Leftovers didn't get a single nomination.  It's not everyone's cup of tea, but if you can't at least acknowledge the greatness of the performances, I don't know what you value in television.  Past its prime stuff like HoC and Downton Abbey, I guess.  I don't even mind Abbey, since it was the series swan song, and I have great affection for it, but FFS.  Regina King can't even get a whiff?
    hisdudeness915MelonuskElisaMichelle
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Maybe my crush is showing, but Rhea Seehorne not getting a nomination s absolute blasphemy. This was her season to be sure.
    Elisahisdudeness915
  • To paraphrase the words of the late Phife Dawg, "Never let a statute tell them how nice I am". Shit did not the Martian win for best comedy or something. These shows ain't shit and they are not watching entire seasons.
  • I'm also bummed that Show Me a Hero got snubbed.The only show I watched and was nominated was Fargo, and I would say that it was better than that, and I really enjoyed Fargo. 
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Well, I will definitely be boycotting the Emmys this year. I love many of the shows nominated but it is absolutely ridiculous that The Leftovers did not receive a single nomination. Even if you find the plot of the show terrible, no one can tell me these were not some of the best performances on television. Hell, it was possibly the best season of television I've ever seen. And how the hell can anyone tell me with a straight face that Maisie Williams had a better performance this season than Carrie Coon or Regina King? Or hell, I'll even throw Ann Dowd in there. Only one word can some it up. BAWLSHIT!!!

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    At least Regina King was nominated for American Crime.
    hisdudeness915A_Ron_HubbardMichelle
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Justin Theroux, Regina King and Carrie Koon all deserved nominations. I love GoT but really explain to me how Emilia Clarke's performance was better than either of those women. 
    hisdudeness915Elisatom_g
  • jmars99jmars99 Philly, PA
    Lip Sync Battle - 1 Emmy Nomination
    Leftovers - ZERO Emmy nominations
    hisdudeness915hypergenesbMichelle
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited July 2016
    Emmys(awards shows) = show biz stroke jobs

I was driving thru Hollywood the other day and they had banners on all the light post promoting shows for award consideration, so members might be influenced to vote for those shows.
  • jmars99jmars99 Philly, PA
    I complain at times, but I don't know why I do.  My interest in TV leads to my interest in watching these self-aggrandizing award shows and then I get mad when quality is overlooked when I know that it is a popularity contest and the TV Academy is the worst because they simply find it easier to vote for the same thing they did last year. (see: Jim Parsons and Modern Family and the Daily show and back in the day Kelsey Grammer and Frasier winning a billion times in a row). I am not trying to start an argument over the validity of those choices, but at least I think it is fair to say that some of these actors and shows deserved to win, but many not win as many times as they had when there were new, better choices available.

That being said, this year is a big step for progress in the Emmys.  The Americans was recognized in a big way. Orphan Black and Mr. Robot (which despite buzz, isn't really watched by that many people).  Catastrophe getting a nod.  My boy Aziz Ansari getting recognized for Master of None.  Heck, even Horace and Pete, Louis CK's webshow, getting an acting nomination for Laurie Metcalf (she got three different acting noms this year BTW).  Crackle got a emmy nomination too for Comedians in Cars getting Coffee.

So despite the snubs (which there will always be) and people having different tastes, they seem to be going in the right direction in this new era of PeakTV.

My $.02
    Elisa
  • Well, I will definitely be boycotting the Emmys this year. I love many of the shows nominated but it is absolutely ridiculous that The Leftovers did not receive a single nomination. Even if you find the plot of the show terrible, no one can tell me these were not some of the best performances on television. Hell, it was possibly the best season of television I've ever seen. And how the hell can anyone tell me with a straight face that Maisie Williams had a better performance this season than Carrie Coon or Regina King? Or hell, I'll even throw Ann Dowd in there. Only one word can some it up. BAWLSHIT!!!

Maybe because no one was watching the leftovers? No one watching = no one nominating?
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    That isn't really how it works. Shows nominate episodes for different categories of awards. The Emmy-judges then narrow it down to the finalists and it goes from there. Any show can submit any of their episodes to be considered for a certain award category. Now, if you meant none of the Emmy judges actually watching the Leftovers episodes that were submitted and just going with their gut and pushing people through to the nomination phase...thats entirely possible.
  • That isn't really how it works. Shows nominate episodes for different categories of awards. The Emmy-judges then narrow it down to the finalists and it goes from there. Any show can submit any of their episodes to be considered for a certain award category. Now, if you meant none of the Emmy judges actually watching the Leftovers episodes that were submitted and just going with their gut and pushing people through to the nomination phase...thats entirely possible.

Possible, and still BAWLSHIT!!!

Elisa
  • Hopefully the Critics Choice Awards eventually overtake the Emmys, Carrie Coon won this year.
    Elisa
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Glad Master of None is getting some due credit, that was probably one the best Netflix put out lately. Although Bojack really should have been nominated too. Get Modern Family out of there and and give something new a nomination. 

No awards for Leftovers....fuuuuuuck that.  - Award shows are more about what's popular, not necessarily what's good. 

Also, Fargo vs. OJ    eeeeeehhhhh that's REALLY tough. Although they were incredibly different, they were just about equal in enjoyment and quality for me. Sad about no nomination for Sterling Brown, that sucks, thinks he deserves it just as much as Sarah Paulson and Cuba Gooding Jr.