Outstanding Interactive Program:  GoT Main Titles 360 Experience
Outstanding Makeup (Non-Prosthetic):  Battle of the Bastards
Outstanding Makeup:  The Door
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing:  Oathbreaker
Outstanding Single-Camera Picture Editing:  Battle of the Bastards
Outstanding Sound Mixing:  Battle of the Bastards
Outstanding Stunt Coordination
Outstanding Costumes:  The Winds of Winter

I'm not surprised to see that Battle of the Bastards received so many noms.  It was so well executed across the board.  I do think that The Winds of Winter deserved more noms, especially for cinematography, visual effects, and production design.

Full list here.

pavlovsbell

Comments

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    What is the Game of Thrones Main Titles 360 Experience? That sounds interesting.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    I wondered about that too so I did a little research.  Apparently Facebook created a VR 360 degree experience based on the opening title sequence to the show and debuted it at their F8 developer conference in San Fran.  I found it on YouTube.

pavlovsbellMurderbear
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Thanks, @Michelle  That's trippy.
    Michelle
  • As happy as I am for them, and as much as it is deserved, does it strike anyone else as kind of silly/lazy that you can have one show take up 3 nominations in a single category? I get that there were just that many great performances, but having 1/2 of the supporting actress nominations go to GoT just feels kind of, well I'll come back to lazy to me. Same with Supporting actor in a limited series and OJ.
    pavlovsbellGarthgou81
    @Travis

In no way did Maisie Williams or Emilia Clarke come close to the performances that Alison Wright, Carrie Coon, Rhea Seahorn, or Regina King (just to name four off the top of my head) turned in, but how many voters watched GoT compared to those actors' respective shows?

I'm disappointed too, especially since the Supporting Actor categories are usually more wild card-type categories.
    Travisjmars99
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Agreed. Lazy is a good word. It reminds me of last year when Season 5 garnered more wins than the show had ever received in the past. So the show's worst (in my opinion of course) season earns more wins than it did in any of it's previous, and far better seasons? I don't get it.
    Travisjmars99
    It seems to me that they consider the entire cast as Supporting.  Peter Dinklage and Kit Harington, arguably 2 actors who are Main cast, are in the Supporting category.  Maybe because it's such a large ensemble?

@Travis I agree about one show taking up numerous nominations in one category.  It takes away from others who are as equally deserving.  On the other hand, I'm happy for the cast members who were nominated.
    Travis
    @Garthgou81 it's the Modern Family/Breaking Bad/Frasier etc. syndrome.  I feel sometimes like the voters/board/whoever get stuck in a rut with their critical darling and it's just easier to continue to nominate the same actors from the previous year's nominations.  Not to say that they didn't deserve it - I'm a huge fan of all three shows - they all have/had a stellar cast - but damn, give others a chance!  I seriously feel that Mad Men lost out on nominations it seriously deserved due to Breaking Bad's presence. 
    Travis
  • Michelle said:

It seems to me that they consider the entire cast as Supporting.  Peter Dinklage and Kit Harington, arguably 2 actors who are Main cast, are in the Supporting category.  Maybe because it's such a large ensemble?

@Travis I agree about one show taking up numerous nominations in one category.  It takes away from others who are as equally deserving.  On the other hand, I'm happy for the cast members who were nominated.

I feel it's not due to the size of the cast, but due to the amount of time spent with each character throughout the season, what with there being so many separate and isolated plots. Peter Dinklage and Kit Harington are certainly two of the major cast members, but they weren't on screen nearly as much as, say, Rami Malek in Mr. Robot or Bob Odenkirk in Better Call Saul. There's just no clear "center" of the show if that makes any sense, although that may change as we get closer to the end.
    pavlovsbell
    The performer chooses whether to submit themselves as Lead or Supporting, although I'm all but certain that there are discussions with the studio/network beforehand since the studio sends out the For Your Consideration content.  Dinklage, Headey, Harington, and Clarke are the leads (NCW also? He should have been nominated over Dinklage), but they are better off submitting as Supporting. It's a far more open category. IIRC, Aaron Paul submitted himself for Supporting to avoid competing with Bryan Cranston, despite both of them being co-leads.
    Michelle
    Good info, thanks!

I will say though that I disagree about NCW deserving the nom more than PD. In my opinion, Dinklage is a stronger, more rounded actor.
    pavlovsbell
  • As much as I love Dinklage, I gotta agree with @pavlovsbell on this one. NCW would get my nom. Also, Maisie?? Really? I love her but no way. I would give Sophie Turner the nod over her for this season.
    pavlovsbell
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    This year's Emmys are going to dominated by the OJ series. Hollywood fell it love with it. 
    Yeah, GoT has only one nomination more than The People vs. OJ. I'm actually sort of rooting for Sarah Paulson to win her category.
    hisdudeness915
  • jmars99jmars99 Philly, PA

Agreed. Lazy is a good word. It reminds me of last year when Season 5 garnered more wins than the show had ever received in the past. So the show's worst (in my opinion of course) season earns more wins than it did in any of it's previous, and far better seasons? I don't get it.

It's the classic case how Emmy voters are about 3 or 4 years behind the curve. Kind of like with "The Americans" finally getting props.  Maybe the Leftovers will get some nods for Season 3.

In the directing category Sapochnik (Bastards) will be going against Jack Bender (The Door).  Two of the best episodes, but I am assuming Sapochnik will win that one.  I was surprised to see that the episode that got nominated for writing was Bastards...that seemed more about the action than the writing.  Would have thought they would have submitted Winds of Winter or the Door for that category (the DD's wrote all three of those)

pavlovsbell
    edited July 2016
    Tbf, Dinklage was given crap material this season. Doing stand up comedy and peer pressure drinking scenes with his least scintillating scene partners, Missandei and Grey Worm, did him no favors. He was more affecting when monologuing to nonexistent dragons. He managed to sell the touching scene between him and Dany in the finale, though, despite the two of them barely interacting prior to that. However, my favorite Tyrion moment was when he was talking about his dream of being a vintner, and he realized that he had no close friends to drink his special reserve wine. Other than that, I think he's been coasting since S4. I think Dinklage continues to get nominated because he's Peter Dinklage, like Maggie Smith on Downton Abbey. I fully expect him to get more interesting stuff in S7, when he's interacting with Cersei and Jaime, and hopefully Sansa and Jon, too.

OTOH, I think NCW is an underrated actor, and this season he got to show off shades of the far more interesting Book Jaime, whose actions are sometimes different from what he's saying, which is often different from what he's thinking. NCW's performance was so nuanced that I think much of it went over the audience's heads, who apparently took Jaime at face value. (My Jaime love is showing. I think he's one of the most fascinatingly gray GoT characters, and I really hope his redemption arc continues in S7, hopefully most of it away from toxic Cersei.) 

I just came across this Vox article that was published shortly before the nominations were announced today. Perhaps Benioff & Weiss submitted BoB because it was the most focused episode of theirs -- just two locations, a self-contained coherent character arc for Jon Snow, more storytelling in general, and the sheer scale of it is overwhelming. The Door's success was mostly due to Jack Bender and the editing, I think, because it hinged on the emotional logic rather that plot logic. There's a lot of hand waviness in BoB, for sure, but it's a stunning episode whereas TWoW is dialogue-free for much of the KL sequence, and the rest is mostly finale-capping type stuff. That said, last season's "bad pussy" episode won for writing over far superior competition, like The Americans, so maybe it doesn't matter what episode they submit. 
    jmars99
    Does anyone else agree that The Winds of Winter deserved more noms than it received? I really thought it was pretty stellar.
    jmars99
    edited July 2016
    I think The Winds of Winter's success lies in the culmination and payoff of everything that came before it. So if you are new to the show and you've only watched six episodes to qualify as an Emmy voter, then it probably will not be as satisfying as say, The Battle of the Bastards, which is practically self-contained in comparison and super enjoyable. 

There were many things that I liked about TWoW, but the show either glossed over or tossed aside plot mechanics and character writing to get to the tentpole moments in that episode. For example, I really wanted Jon to be KitN, but even I admit that that was some seriously hinky writing.  

However, I am shocked that they did not submit for Ramin Djawadi. His haunting score for the KL sequence was stunning, and it contributed immensely to the success of that sequence.
    jmars99
  • jmars99jmars99 Philly, PA
     Perhaps Benioff & Weiss submitted BoB because it was the most focused episode of theirs -- just two locations, a self-contained coherent character arc for Jon Snow, more storytelling in general, and the sheer scale of it is overwhelming. The Door's success was mostly due to Jack Bender and the editing, I think, because it hinged on the emotional logic rather that plot logic. There's a lot of hand waviness in BoB, for sure, but it's a stunning episode whereas TWoW is dialogue-free for much of the KL sequence, and the rest is mostly finale-capping type stuff. That said, last season's "bad pussy" episode won for writing over far superior competition, like The Americans, so maybe it doesn't matter what episode they submit. 

@pavlovsbell That's a great point.  I have to remember that it the Television Academy is predominately made up of Broadcast "suits" even though the majority of quality content is coming from other areas.  A BoB screener could have definitely been watched and enjoyed by someone with a basic knowledge of the show (i.e. Jon Snow, Dany has Dragons and they are awesome).  The Door (as incredible as it was) would be confusing as hell to the casual fan as would TWoW (to your point).  

However, I am shocked that they did not submit for Ramin Djawadi. His haunting score for the KL sequence was stunning, and it contributed immensely to the success of that sequence.
    +1.....that , to me, was the best part of the wildfire sequence.  The fact that you knew what was going to happen but the score built the tension incredibly.  As nerdy as it sounds, years from now, the score is the part that I will remember when I think of TWoW ep. 
    pavlovsbell