No Country For Old Men Podcast Discussion

CodySoloCodySolo Xenia, OH
I was so happy to see a commissioned podcast come around for one of the best movies of this century so far, No Country For Old Men.  I did think it was interesting to see some different takes from Jim and A.Ron about some of the ambiguities in the movie from what I personally interpreted.  A few:

1) I never thought Lllewelyn and Woody Harrelson's character came to a deal in Mexico.  I took it as Llewelyn turning him down but Harrelson's character being saavy enough to intuit "Okay, I've tracked him down to Mexico, caught him off guard recovering from gunshots in a hospital, he clearly doesn't have the money on his person...how many different places could he have possibly have stashed it in between the hotel  shootout and this hospital?" and then he deduces where Llewelyn tossed it.  

2) I don't think that the hotel where Anton shoots Harrelson's character is the same one where the late night shootout took place.

3) I for some reason always did assume that Llewelyn joined the woman on the poolside for beer and that's why she was dead when the Sheriff arrived.  In the scene, the section of the hotel with the pool is across the way from the rooms.  If he rebuffed her requests to join her and just went to his room, how did she end up getting caught in crossfire out by the pool?  I took it as he was poolside with her when the cartel arrived or showed themselves and that's how she got caught up in it.  

Another great commissioned podcast though!
ksa1001

Comments

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Rewatching it tonight. Listening tomorrow. I'll be back soon.
    Man I love this movie.
    Dummy
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    @A_Ron_Hubbard If you haven't, you should read Cormac McCarthy's Blood Meridian. It's a fascinating read and his writing style is quite interesting. I enjoyed it more than The Road by far for what that's worth. The story is intense and I think you'd dig it.
    Thegreek510DaveyMac
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    If you're going to read McCarthy (one of my favorite authors) you do yourself a disservice to not read Blood Meridian and All The Pretty Horses. The Road and No Country are great, but for me, the former two are his best work.
    DaveyMacMurderbear
  • Thegreek510Thegreek510 San Francisco area
    Haven't read All the pretty horses yet, but Blood Meridian is awesome. Mccarthy's writing style and vocabulary is strange and awesome. If I could do it again, I'd skip The Road, much too dark and bleak, espically since I read it right after my son was born.
  • I have only seen this movie once. Am currently listening to the podcast and planning to watch again. Just wanted to comment on the scene towards the end where Anton and the policeman are both in the hotel room. My interpretation was that both men were aware of each other's presence, but the police officer decided to walk away, and the movie presented this decision without cowardice. I thought it was really profound that both men made the decision to just walk away from the other.
    Dee
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    @NikkiP That is how I read that scene too, Nikki. It's been a few years since I saw the movie or read the book, but from memory I took it that Bell was afraid to die so he didn't want to confront the murderer, and that was what led him to realise how he was old now and so on.
    NikkiP
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Watching this movie drunk kind of degrades the ability to pick up on the many nuances. 
  • fidozfidoz Houston
    Anton Chigurh and his silenced shotgun still scares the shit out of me. 
    Underwood
  • Long time listener, 2nd time poster (I think). Anyway I'm  just starting the No Country for Old Men podcast and your comment about it coming out the same year as There Will be Blood reminded me that 2007 was an amazing year for westerns! You already covered 3:10 to Yuma (2007), but there was a 4th, excellent but underrated film that year too, "The Assassination of Jesse James By The Coward Robert Ford".

Ok, going back to listen now.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Welcome to the board @JinkyO
    NikkiP
  • Great podcast for one of my favorite films. I just wanted to say that I agree with the other posters here on Blood Meridian. It's a fantastic book, but also one of the most violent books I've ever read. I also really liked No Country, The Road, and Child of God. I've been meaning to get around to the Border Trilogy but just haven't taken the time to dive in yet.

A couple of other quick thoughts on No Country:

The film doesn't go into it too much, but if I remember right, the book goes into more detail on the backgrounds of Wells, Chigurh, and Moss and all three of them are Vietnam vets. I don't know what it all means, but I think that's an interesting detail.

On Chigurh getting hit by the car, another interpretation I like is that this car was kind of like God or some other higher power or something trying to take him out as no one else could do it and even that fails. Anton's got the green light when he gets t-boned. 

Lastly, in reaction to Jim and A.Ron talking about Javier Bardem, he has done different kinds of performances. The one that comes to mind is Vicky Cristina Barcelona. He's really damn good in that film, in my opinion and is very different from what he does in No Country or Bond.

Maybe not the best picture as he's not looking at the camera, but he definitely looks different when he's not made up to look creepy and weird.

He was also in a Innaritu film called Biutiful, which I haven't seen and a Malick film, To The Wonder, which I didn't like, but he was different in it.

And if anyone wants to hear a deep philosophical dive of the book here's a great Partially Examined Life podcast episode on it. Really interesting stuff.
    A_Ron_Hubbard
  • CodySoloCodySolo Xenia, OH
    One nitpick that always catches my eye is that the foods for sale in the convenience store gas station during the first coin flip (Jack Links, Doritos, etc.) all seem to bear modern logos and designs.  Kind of a strange and jarring thing for the set dressers to miss or not be concerned about for a period film.  
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Loved the podcast almost as much as I loved the movie. 
    I agree that Moss ended up joining that woman by the pool but I did think the hotel was the same in both scenes. My only evidence is that the staircase looked familar. But I may just be putting things together in my head. 

I've always been a fan of the theory that Chigurh was some king of Angel of Death or the Grim Reaper. Just someone who killed everyone he laid eyes on (well almost everyone) and couldn't be stopped. 
  • JaimieTJaimieT Atlanta, GA
    DaveyMac said:

He was also in a Innaritu film called Biutiful, which I haven't seen and a Malick film, To The Wonder, which I didn't like, but he was different in it.
    I love him in Vicky Cristina Barcelona, and I just watched To the Wonder! He's a great actor.
    DaveyMac
  • Resurrecting this thread because I was interested in deeper thoughts on this particular movie, outside of my self-admitted superficial impressions.  I searched the internet and came across this article, which in my opinion, is a must-read in order to deepen one's appreciation for this great movie.