Cincinnati vs. Louisville

DrKenDrKen Chicago
Have a choice on our family vacation journey to spend a full day in either town. 3 teenage boys with us.

What is the better option and what would be some cool things to do? Thought we'd have some experts here.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited July 2016
    My guess would be Cincinnati, since it's a larger town. Louisville has some cool stuff though. The Louisville slugger factory you can tour and have a custom bat made for you. Muhammad Ali museum. A smallish six flags. Mega Cavern, which is worth seeing and has a bunch of zip lines and bike riding courses through it. Speaking of, you're also very close to Mammoth cave which is a legit world wonder and amazing, but check for tickets because a lot of their most popular tours are sold out weeks in advance. If you're really crazy for natural adventures try one of their "wild" tours, where you crawl through unlit portions of the cave. Louisville also has a highly regarded zoo.

If not Mammoth, there are a dozen smaller but still spectacular caves nearby. Diamond is the most beautiful, horse cave is the most Mammoth like, and for like 10 extra bucks you can repel into the entrance. Pretty badass. I've seen them all and they all have their charms.

Cincinnati has another amazing zoo, a really great natural history museum downtown, you can watch a Reds game which is always a good time. They also have Kings Island, second only to Cedar Point in Sandusky for the best coaster and thrills park in the nation. Particularly The Beast is still the largest wooden coaster in the world and I cant recommend a night ride enough. It's fucking terrifying. They also have Diamondback and Banshee, which are flagship modern style hyper coasters. Oh, and a really great water park that comes included with admission.

Both cities have the Ohio River running through them, and there are some signature events you might want to read up on to see if they'll be running while you're here. For example, Cincinnati has tall stacks, where dozens of restored paddle boats steam into town to relive the Mark Twain glory years. Some of them are even show boats, where you can see a play, dance routine, or comedy act in. They also have a hot air balloon fest that's called thousand lights or some such, and at night when they all simultaneously fire their burners up and light up the entire river valley, it's something else.

Cincinnati has some small scale thrills, too, Coney Island with its sunlight pool is still (I think) the world's largest recirculating pool, and quite a few good breweries and distilleries. But then again Louisville is closer to a lot of historic bourbon distilleries, and it's not hard to find bus tours and the like.

I've heard Cincinnati architecture is some of the countries best, especially in the OTR area, but I don't know much about that.

Hope this helps!
    DrKenTaraC73
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Kings Island was the first thing to come to mind for Cincinnati. Lots of awesome rides and neat things to see. Might be the easiest way to keep three teenage boys entertained.

I do really love Louisville too though. If you have some baseball fans, the Louisville Slugger Museum/Factory is a must see. Really really cool.
    DrKen
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Thanks, ARon and Murderbear for your considered response. It's much appreciated.

I think after this feedback and some research we are heading to Cincy.

If I see ARon at a pet store or Jim at Chipotle, I promise to ignore you as to not creep you out.

Just know, however, I'll be chronicling your every move in my diary.
    Murderbear
  • OliviaDOliviaD Cincinnati, Ohio
    Not sure when you'll be visiting the Queen City @DrKen and what events will be occurring during your stay so check out http://cincinnatiusa.com/things-to-do to help you plan. Several of the townships and villages have festivals every weekend during the summer. Check out Union terminal's website before heading to the museums, some exhibits are currently under construction for the next couple of years. Hamilton county parks are beautiful and a cheap way to spend some time outdoors. If there is something in particular you are looking to do that hasn't been covered feel free to ask.
  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited July 2016
    Nice choice, I LOVE Cincy!

My wife and I just visited recently, and I can't recommend The Cincinnatian Hotel enough. Really cool building, great staff, and pretty affordable for the location and what you get. 

If you're into beer, Rhinegeist Brewery has an incredible space with cornhole, ping pong, and great beer to boot. 

I would also recommend looking into the underground Cincinnati tour, if it's not already sold out for when you'll be there. It will show you a lot of interesting history and architecture of OTR and the city. 

And make sure to stop off at Holtman's donut shop and/or Findlay market. 
    Also, don't worry about eating any chili. Goetta is where it's at!
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I want to go back to Cedar Point so bad. My family used to go all the time when I was a kid. I will have to wait until my kids are a bit older though. It would be a bit unfair to subject them to a long drive to a place where they can't ride 90% of the rides.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    edited August 2016
    So what is the Creation Museum and why does it warrant an official state/federal(?) brown sign on the Interstate?

I almost took the family out of curiosity.

Also, do Cincinnatians resent when people say Cincy as much as Chicagoans hate Chi-town? I thought of that after my earlier posts/messages where I said Cincy about a dozen times.
  • Oh god, don't get Ohio-ans started. That said, it is a bizarre spectacle to witness if you can stomach the relatively stiff admission. I wouldn't take the kids.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    Side note - I got some pretty awesome moonshine in the Smoky Mountains. That stuff will put hair on your chest.

I wish my wife hadn't tried it.
    FlashGordonMurderbearA_Ron_Hubbard
    The Creation Museum seems like a good place to go and have a laugh at the incredibly stupid things people believe but it's way too expensive for that. I just checked and admission is up to $30 dollars a person. $30. Oh, and they built an Ark now too. My state also gave them $18,000,000 in tax breaks too. It's infuriating. Oh, and a Tower of Babel is next.

Believe what you want to believe but the whole "Earth is only 5,000 years old" crap is too much. And don't try to pass it off as real science. Ken Ham is a maniac.
  • DrKenDrKen Chicago
    That's what I figured.

It's the counterpoint to "The Museum".
    Murderbear
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I've heard they'll kick you out if you laugh or otherwise don't enjoy the museum like you're intended to. Credulously.
  • Luke said:

I want to go back to Cedar Point so bad. My family used to go all the time when I was a kid. I will have to wait until my kids are a bit older though. It would be a bit unfair to subject them to a long drive to a place where they can't ride 90% of the rides.

Have you seen the coasters that have been added recently? They keep getting crazier and crazier.