Pokemon go

Hey guys posting a few things today :)

Had my niece and nephew over this weekend and went out with my niece and played Pokemon go, there is a ton of potential here I would prefer to not have Pokemon be in people's gardens ect. Could really see this game being awesome for long trips and will use it the next time I go to see my family in Peterborough. Just wish there was a few more in my house then there are as I thaught there would be a few more there. And hey it's free !

Anyway play the game safe and don't go falling off any cliffs or bridges

Have a great weekend
Frakkin TTaraC73Travis

Comments

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I am considering playing Pokemon - I downloaded it when it first came out, then found out about the Google bullshit (apparently I have niantec full access to my google account by signing up!) so I deleted it. I had only played a day so I didn't lose much stuff. But they have since changed that! So... I might do it. I need to start walking more, and this is a fun incentive!
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited July 2016
    At 26 years old my passion for Pokemon that I had as an 8 year old has been reignited by this game! And it's the perfect walking companion for my Fitbit!

My Lego Ghostbusters (yes, I'm an adult Lego fan with more money than sense) were faced with an entirely new challenge earlier!

WarpFoxTaraC73
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I never gave a shit about pokemon, but I am way into pokemon go, because @Cecily and my kid are into it, and it's fun to play with them, and now suddenly I'm hanging out in /r/pokemongo and min-maxing my evolves and XP gain and just going way overboard with it.  I also actually spent $10 on this game (a first!) to buy pokeballs.  I feel dumb for paying for a freemium game, but I dunno, I guess like throwing $10 their way to save a few hours of grind, and the fact that I've already gotten dozens of hours of enjoyment out of it, is fair. 
    WarpFoxTaraC73voodooratiMatty94
  • FlukesFlukes Calgary, Canada
    My kids are aged 6 and 15 (plus a newborn). They don't have a lot of common interests, but all three of us have gone out playing Pokemon Go together nearly every day this week. 

It's just nice to have something that 
    a) I don't have to drag them to
    b) I actually am having fun doing with them

And when we get home, I run the numbers and see if i have enough low level Pokemon and candies to do a Lucky Egg Evolution XP Grind.

There's a park in our neighbourhood with 3 Pokestops and there are dozens of people milling around, talking and laughing all weekend where usually there might be a 2-3 parents watching their kids. Pretty cool in my opinion.
  • I've seen two people literally run into brick walls while playing this game.  I kind of hate it.  There's a lifetime of entertainment to be had between versions Red through Crystal.  Long live the game link cable!
  • I don't really have any attachment to the Pokémon thing, but I will say that a friend of mine plays and he said that he had walked in the ballpark of 25 miles in about a week and a half due to his new-found obsession with it and I've got to say that that's a pretty cool byproduct. I've thought about giving the whole thing a shot just to have an interesting new excuse to hoof it around town a bit more. Beats sitting on my couch playing Yahtzee or Family Feud, which is more or less the extent that I use my cell phone for games.

• bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    @Travis My roommate walked 22 miles the first weekend and has been going out every night. That dude never exercises.

It's especially weird living in a big city where people generally mind their own business. Now you walk down the street and see people just running into each other having conversations about squirtle and shit. There's big groups of strangers standing around specific areas and they're actually talking to each other.
    Travis
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited July 2016
    I'm hooked.

Didn't think it'd blow up the way it did when it released, but man it's been something else. Met a few people just going about my day playing. It's amazing how broad the Pokémon fanbase is. I just saw at least 6-7 people ranging from ages preteen to adult wandering around a lure in my neighborhood catching Pokemom today.

Brb, gotta walk around the block to hatch this egg.
  • @bizmarkiefader That is funny, man. This stuff has been on the morning news pretty much every day lately. Funny new fad. The way I see it though (saccharine as it sounds) if it brings people together, that's pretty cool. It's strange to me, and it kind of makes me feel like an old man who says things like "back in the old days" and "oh these kids today" and "this rectangle will hold and play my music?" which is a new feeling that I don't love, but the notion of getting people engaged in a game while being out walking around is pretty awesome in my book (so long as they don't walk into traffic or off a cliff (I saw stories about each within the last few days and that totally sucks)).
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    @Travis For sure, it's really cool seeing people interact. Outside of the obvious dangers of a bunch of people on their phone darting in unpredictable directions in crowded areas it's been almost all positive. I haven't seen this many people I know going outside since I was a kid.
    Travis
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Aprox. four bodies have been found due to Pokemon GO users. Simply by the fact that people are going out in spaces that they wouldn't usually go. That fact alone is crazy.

I was there for OG Pokemon, and I am here for the summer of Pokemon GO. Remember when everyone said it was a fad that would go away?
  • i'm having fun with it (i run probably about 30 miles a week so i've been mostly doing it then and at work my office happens to be right above a pokestop).  it's neat and weird seeing all the roving bands of 2-5 20-year-old people all over the place.
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    amyja89. I am also an adult with a bit of a Lego addiction.

I have a few Lego sets on my desk at work. Anytime someone brings their kid in, I get to play with Legos with them lol
  • I think this is Sam Jackson's first step in his evil plans

Except instead of making a secret base in Antartica all he has to do is announce a unique exclusive pokemon that only lives there and the rest will take care of itself.
    Travis
  • Oh good lord.
    amyja89 said:

At 26 years old my passion for Pokemon that I had as an 8 year old has been reignited by this game! And it's the perfect walking companion for my Fitbit!

My Lego Ghostbusters (yes, I'm an adult Lego fan with more money than sense) were faced with an entirely new challenge earlier!

A few years ago my husband designed ecto1 on the Lego website, and had it sent to us... Just a few months ago they came out with it! He said they stole his idea LOL.

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    TaraC73 said:

amyja89 said:

A few years ago my husband designed ecto1 on the Lego website, and had it sent to us... Just a few months ago they came out with it! He said they stole his idea LOL.

Your husband's a NERRRRRD! Also Happy Anniversary!
    Frakkin T said:

TaraC73 said:

amyja89 said:

Your husband's a NERRRRRD! Also Happy Anniversary!
    Yeah he kind of is ;)

And thanks!