Ghostbusters....not the original, but that other one.

griggsartworkgriggsartwork San Jose, California
Just curious if anyone else by accident walked into a theater and sat through this movie? I cannot begin to tell you how terrible this film was. Was there anything redeeming in this at all? I am shivering at the replay of those crowbarred in cameos. I hate you Ghostbusters (new one, not the old).
Brawn

Comments

• BB2K Adelaide, South Australia
    i actually watched the old one for the first time since i was a kid and didn't really remember much about it. I thought it was super dull, and only laughed at like one line. have little to no interest in the new one either
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Seen it twice now and loved it more the second time. I loved old Ghostbusters and I love new Ghostbusters, perhaps even more than the originals. Different opinions, aren't they great?

I know the sentiment has been done to death at this point, and if you don't subscribe to the point then that's perfectly fine, but as a twenty something who grew up idolising characters like Ellen Ripley, Dana Scully, Sarah Connor etc, I cannot tell you how awesome it is to have more kick-ass ladies in cinema that aren't 15 year old girls in post apocalyptic scenarios. The Hunger Games and Divergent might do it for some girls, but they certainly never did it for me, and if I can have some comedy (subjective comedy, as comedy always is) to go with my awesome gadget wielding ladies, then great.
    Dee
  • My biggest problem with the film was that 3 out of the 4 leading women were White. I mean, come on, its 2016. That is not representative of the current country and culture. One should have been Asian american, and the other Muslim. I just don't know how they expected all of us not be offended by the film. Just unacceptable Hollywood bias.
    trippy
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited July 2016
    @DancesWithWookies This seems to be an all SNL cast. I remember a couple years ago when they were complaining about diversity about black females in the cast of SNL, they left out the fact that SNL had an Iranian American in the cast. No one else can say they had something like that on US TV. So them having a 3 out of 4 will pass with me. I think also that this is all star type cast, not an indie flick. If they would put a minor comedian people would complain. It's a damned if you do thing.
    Also I know the Mike And Molly girl isn't a cast member but she has been a regular host for some time.
    Also the cast was not a cupie doll cast of twenty something's.
    As for the movie I saw the first one when I was about 15 and it was good but I think it's a thing of the past. I don't want to see the new one, reviews seem mild about how good it is. I do love Jones and McKinnon on SNL but I'll pass on this movie.
  • The movie was awesome and fun, if you are expecting a direct remake of the original you will be let down. If you go in expecting a funny stand alone movie with references to the original, you will have a good time.
  • BourbonQueenBourbonQueen Dallas, TX
    I went in with ZERO expectations, thinking it was going to be a total crapfest, and was pleasantly surprised.  We laughed quite a bit.  There were parts that were hokey, yes, and I could have done with less over-the-top dumb Thor moments (like he was too dumb to even exist),  However, overall I think they did a fantastic job.  The trailers they showed did not do it justice at all.

Now - I will say that I watched this at a Studio Movie Grill and there were a few Bourbon Berry Smashes consumed during the movie.  Can I say whether that affected my experience?  No, but it didn't hurt for sure!
    Melia004
  • I'm sure it's not to a lot of people's taste, but Kristen Stewart was excellent in The Clouds of Sils Maria. #trailertalk
    akritenbrink
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    I don't plan on ever seeing this movie, just like I have not seen the last like 10 80's movie remakes Hollywood has churned out.

But I think the fact that this movie became some progressive hill to die on was stupid as fuck.

The fact that the cast were women had nothing to do with why people thought the trailers looked bad.

The entire controversy was engineered by Sony so liberal white knights would go see it to prove this straw man of the "basement dwelling nerd" wrong.

The biggest point of irony of the whole thing is that Sigorny Weaver (gasp a woman lead in the 1980's I thought women don't appear in Sci fi movies) was arguably the biggest star in the Original Ghostbusters. She was an Academy award nominee for Alien afterall.
    Drew
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    It's been pretty much established that the controversy was engineered by Sony. You can say what you want but they were caught deleting negative comments that had nothing to do with the female cast and leaving the sexist garbage. The director and many executives have been on record multiple times saying they enjoy the sexism controversy because it helps them, they've even gone out of their way to goat the people making the comments with shit like bring it on.

Instead of letting people online bitch about this movie because it's a remake like every remake gets bashed on Sony warped the message into people don't like the movie because they are sexist. So you can think what you want but it's been clear for a while Sony engineered the shit storm around this movie and instead of denying it they doubled down and did everything they could do to make it a movie where you either like it or you're a sexist pig.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited August 2016
    I've seen multiple - shit loads - of angry rage on various forums about how it's just PC pandering to remake a "classic" film with all women. I've also seen multiple discussions about the campaign to down vote it deliberately on IMDB. Like, people actually went out of their way to vote one star on a movie they hadn't seen and had no intention of seeing.

So no, it's not something engineered by Sony. It's something engineered by angry babies who take a remake of a movie way too seriously.
    UnderwoodBourbonQueenBen
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited August 2016
  • HedgeKnight84xHedgeKnight84x East Central Indiana
    As someone who's tired of needless, half-hearted remakes, and someone who also didn't check out the 'new' Robocop or Total Recall, I decided to skip this one as well.  Especially since I loved the original and nothing about this seemed like something that would do it for me, and honestly I think it does come across as political pandering on top of that, so it further turned me off.  
    I may rent it through VOD in the future out of curiosity after all of the fuss, plus I do like most of the lead actors from other things, so maybe I'll ultimately enjoy it.  

To be honest, it just looked from the marketing like it would be somewhere between garbage and mediocre, so I don't feel like I'm missing much.  I know some loved it, though.

As for all of the controversy or non-controversy or whatever you want to call it surrounding this film, I felt like Red Letter Media had a smart take on it today.  If you're not familiar with them, be ready for a lot of dry sarcasm, but there's a point underneath it all.  And if you aren't aware of their review of the film in another video, these guys felt that it was a pretty bad film:

• JamesJames southern California
    I just saw it yesterday, and I was pleasantly surprised. It wasn't just a remake, the story was new. Melissa McCarthy is OK, I've never been a great fan, but I like Kristen Wiig and Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon were fucking hilarious.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Chalk me up as one of the people who thought, and still think, a lot of the backlash to the Ghostbusters remake, the idea of it, even, was the gender bending. I live on reddit, I know what I saw and the groups I saw it on. People can have their own opinions, but to think that it had nothing to do with it is silly.
    Deeamyja89BourbonQueen
  • HedgeKnight84xHedgeKnight84x East Central Indiana
    edited August 2016
    I agree that the gender bending played a significant role.  Some of that was from the misogynist assholes.  Some just got turned off by it because they felt like it was a gimmick done for purpose of political and/or gender pandering.  And then there are also other reasons to not necessarily like this movie (or at least to anticipate the movie being bad or bland) that don't have to do with that, too (a lot of remakes aren't great or don't live up to the original, for a variety of reasons).  But the gender element was absolutely part of it, we can agree there. I think most of the disagreement comes from our individual perceptions as to the severity/scope/size of said issue.
    Drew
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Of course the sexist pricks overtook the conversation but it completely blocked out any other criticism anyone had about the movie. No one looked at other criticisms they just jumped to the sexist accusations. Both sides are just as bad as the other, no conversation actually happened it was finger pointing. I'm sorry but the people that think they are righteous because they are so open minded are just as bad as the opposite side because they point fingers and jump to accusations just as fast as the ignorant side.
    Brawn
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited August 2016
    Oh my goodness - I went to the cinema for the first time in 6 years to see this and I'm so glad. I loved it - pretty much everything about it. It was funny, exciting and fast-paced. I don't watch SNL so I was only dimly aware of who Leslie Jones and Kate McKinnon were and now I'm madly in love with both of them, they were so good. Even Chris Hemsworth - who I normally have little time for - was a lot of fun.

Aside from the general what-you-want-in-movie kind of stuff, I really, really appreciated a movie starring a bunch of women who were a) not 20 and b) not Hollywood perfect and c) just got on with their shit. There was no annoying subplot about a mom trying to manage a house and have her job or a woman having problems with her partner or anything. There was no bitchiness between them - they were all friends and colleagues and respected each other. It was so wonderfully refreshing.

More, please!
    amyja89DrewOriginal_Joseph
  • edited August 2016
    Wow, was that a preachy podcast. I haven't seen the movie yet, and now I'm scared to - apparently if I don't find Chris Helmsworth funny then I'm a misogynist asshole with a funny voice?

(In fairness, I don't think Jim and ARon found him funny either - it sounded more like ARon thought he served an important social justice purpose, to the point where asking the question of whether he was funny was unimportant behind the larger goal of explaining why people who ask that question are missing the point)

Ps: To be clear, I have no problem with the idea of the remake, and maybe it's great, but this might be the first comedy I've seen reviewed where not finding it funny makes you a bad person.
    Jovial_FalconBrawn
  • It is killing me to hear the guys talk highly of this movie. I don't want to say that they are going overboard just to be politcally correct, but, what other option is there? This movie didnt even get a smirk from me. I dont worship the original either. And kristen wiig is a goddess to me. I laughed at one joke in the last 5 minutes and that's about it. I didn't think this movie was important or funny. Not sure what it was trying to be. 
    Brawn
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited February 3

It is killing me to hear the guys talk highly of this movie. I don't want to say that they are going overboard just to be politcally correct, but, what other option is there? This movie didnt even get a smirk from me. I dont worship the original either. And kristen wiig is a goddess to me. I laughed at one joke in the last 5 minutes and that's about it. I didn't think this movie was important or funny. Not sure what it was trying to be. 

Maybe the other option is that they legitimately enjoyed the movie? I loved it. I don't have much of an opinion about the original - it's okay, nothing amazing. But this remake was everything I could have wanted in a two hour afternoon killer.
  • I finally watched this a couple weeks ago so I guess I'll chime in. I thought it was just ok. It seemed like a lot of the comedy was a bit forced. Like they knew people would be hating on them so they were trying a little too hard to provide a laugh a minute. Which is a shame because I thought it had some really funny moments that were kinda overshadowed by some big misses. That being said, it did make me laugh quite a bit, the action was great, and the call backs to the original were really fun. So, was it a fun movie to watch on a Saturday night? I think so. Will I ever watch it again? Prob not.
  • My kids like all 3 and they have no idea what it means to be PC or understand the conflict around feminism. There are people who just like the movie. I thought it was fine. I wish the original characters had a bigger part and it was more connected rather than a reboot. But oh well.
    No Half Measures....
  • BenBen Melbourne - Australia
    This is a film that will never be able to be judged on its own merits, its become something bigger now. If you don't like it then you have problem with women, if you do like it its because of the social message. 
    Brawn
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    edited February 4
    I was hoping we'd be talking about this in here...

hisdudeness915
  • It was fine, I enjoyed it when I saw it. The film was never boring, but I don't have the urge to go see it again. Obviously the film caught a lot of undeserved hate because of the "PC pandering" female cast, but, if I'm being honest, it wasn't that funny. I expected way more out of McKinnon, Wiig, and McCarthy (I'm not that familiar with Jones, I don't watch SNL). 

I know it's more the writer's/studio's fault for the film not being funny, but part of me wonders if this film would have done better as a parody of Ghostbusters instead of a full-on, reverent reboot.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    edited February 5
    Hubby (film buff who sees everything) saw it and thought it needed a rewrite, nothing to do with the female characters, but he thought they didn't have enough to do and the plot fell flat. Personally I can't speak to the film since I didn't see it, but it seems a lot of mixed reviews are out there, and I don't think anyone needs to defend a bad movie just for the sake of feminism.

It did seem from the pre-release timing of the backlash that a lot of people were mad about the gender of the new Ghostbusters. But why? That perplexed me. It's not like they were national heroes who fought off Communism with their dicks or something. It was a goofy movie from the 80's. We did not take it that seriously even back then. I mean it was popular, but was it a life changing film that made one a man? I'm doubtful...And now we have comic book films left and right with "kick ass heroines" to the point where that's become a trope and you can't have a movie without one. Do guys on Reddit complain about that (serious question, I really don't know).

Maybe I'm out of the loop, admittedly I don't read Reddit or go very deep with the whole "fandom" world on anything. I just thought it was odd that out of all movies, this one would draw so much ire for the casting of females.

I have no conclusions, just questions, lol
    Brawn
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media

• @akritenbrink You're pretty lucky to have avoided all this, to be honest. There are many communities (on Reddit and elsewhere) where men complain that progressives, feminists, "SJWs", and pretty much all left-wing people are ruining society by pushing their agenda into media. Any time women (or people of colour, or LGBT people, etc, etc.) are cast in major roles in films, they claim the representation is just pandering to this crowd. They tend to respond to this by either organizing hilariously ineffectual boycotts of the film in question (see also: The Force Awakens, Rogue One, Fury Road) or just endlessly harassing the women involved. As to why Ghostbusters was such a big deal compared to the rest of these films...I really don't know! Maybe it's because it was an all-female cast (at least the new Star Wars films had male protagonists too, right?). Misguided and toxic nostalgia also played a big role - the ridiculous argument that a bad reboot can ruin your childhood. People tend to get really unhealthily defensive of stuff they enjoyed as a kid.
    It did seem from the pre-release timing of the backlash that a lot of people were mad about the gender of the new Ghostbusters. But why? That perplexed me. It's not like they were national heroes who fought off Communism with their dicks or something. It was a goofy movie from the 80's. We did not take it that seriously even back then. I mean it was popular, but was it a life changing film that made one a man?
    You'd be surprised at the arguments that get made to justify this stuff. One alt-right YouTuber claimed that Ghostbusters was about "four friends starting a small business together", which according to him is an inherently male story, so to remake it with women didn't make sense. Obviously not all the arguments were quite that ridiculous, but still.

Anyway, I'm not saying everyone who objected to or didn't like the new Ghostbusters was part of these groups (and I haven't seen the film myself either, so I can't speak for its quality - it could be terrible for all I know!), but they were the main contributor to the toxic atmosphere around the film since pretty much the moment it was announced. I'm not buying the whole "engineered by Sony" narrative - this same thing has happened too many times with different films, games, shows and books for me to think that was the cause.
    voodooratDeedarwinfeeshy
    I said, "This is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap. And I do not say that lightly."
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited February 5
    i never saw it and probably never will so i won't comment on its quality.  i don't have a problem with it, per se, and i find the entitled mostly-20-something white guys who cry "sjw" to be pretty pathetically non-self-aware (i know, i might have been one of them 20-25 years ago had the internet been then was it is now), but i am generally kind of annoyed by the inability of hollywood to fall back on old ideas instead of new surprising things--in my formative years most movies were original stories and not not reboots of existing movies or comic book stories retold or whatever.  i guess it's fine to do that, some of them are good, but it just seems like it's far too substantial a percentage of what gets created because hollywood is so risk-averse to try telling new stories.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    @SomeBiscuit ah OK, it sounds like I really am just out of the loop on this side of things. I guess I am glad I am not in that world if that's how people behave. If these men are so obsessed with their own manliness, what happened to just sucking it up and "being a man" about things (JOKE). LOL 

It's just funny to me because the film got such mixed reviews that this would be the one that bleeds over into the mainstream discussion of gender in film. There seem to be a lot of people who do like it, but a lot of people dislike it for other unrelated reasons. 
    Be a human, not a machine.

Angie Kritenbrink
    akritenbrink on most social media