Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
How the hell did I not know a new Harry Potter book is coming out this Sunday?  I just read several reviews of the stage play it's based on, and it seems legit.  I know nothing about the basic plot and hope to stay that way until the bits flow into my Kindle.  Anybody else excited?
DansburyCecily

Comments

• DansburyDansbury Austin, Texas
    edited July 2016
    It isn't a novel per se, it's the script of the London play. Nevertheless yes it is a new HP storyline. A total synopses from beginning to end came out a few weeks ago. I will withhold my opinions until a spoiler thread opens on the subject. :-)
  • I'm trying to keep my hype down since she had help writing it, it's short, and it will be in the style of a play. However I am pretty excited because reviews have been good and I'm one of the biggest HP nerds you'll find. I still hope we get a full length book down the road; she clearly doesn't want to stop writing about this world and I'm OK with that!
  • They have done speciel rehearsal preformances of the play since june, and the audience reactions have been stunning and overwhelmed, if you go be the retweets from the Cursed Child-twitter account.

The release on the 30th will be the special rehearsal-script that they've perfected during the summer, and the final edition of the script will come out in 2017. So, depending of how eager you are vs. if you want the final cut, you might have to settle for the 'draft version', wait until 2017 or --- buy both? The plot won't change, so, as of now, i'm all in for the special rehearsal script, and hoping they will be doing more shows in the years to come.
    All the shows in London are sold out until May 2017.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited July 2016
    I had heard about it but don't know details. Is the book an adaptation of the play's script or is it literally going to be like reading Shakespeare with the character lines and blocking notes etc?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Hmmm, I'm slightly less excited that it's a script and not a novelization (really, how fucking lazy can you get, man) but I used to read scripts all the time for movies I hadn't seen, and it's new Harry Potter, so how bad can it be?
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard those are famous last words....
  • Hmmm, I'm slightly less excited that it's a script and not a novelization (really, how fucking lazy can you get, man) but I used to read scripts all the time for movies I hadn't seen, and it's new Harry Potter, so how bad can it be?

You think adapting the entire world of Harry Potter into a play is lazy! Jesus, not only do they have to sketch out a plot, characters, but then there's all the visual effects, the stage props, the live-acting - how can THAT be lazy?! 

It's a new medium and a new vision, and sure, it's not available in it's entirety to the world as the books - but come on! The ambition put into this work is - in the most literal sense - awesome. Personally, i think they botched the films - this is the best possible way to have control on the visual interpretation of the HP-universe AND tell a story fit to be preformed.
    No, no, no. I love theater and would love to see how they practically do the magical effects. Given that you have the play already written, not releasing it as a novelization is lazy. The hard part is done.
    KingKobra
  • ARon that's what I got from your post. That they basically just took the script and binded it into a book. What might have been better was if they had taken a little extra time and novelized what they already had.
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    I don't think it's lazy so much as the idea behind this was not to get a new written Harry Potter work out there. They seem to be focused on the play, releasing the script is zero extra effort outside the publishers and that kind of shit that none of the creative people have to worry about. It just sucks that it's the only part of this project most of us will ever see.
  • There are three playwrights, Rowling, Jack Thorne, and John Tiffany.  How much of it is her brainchild, I wonder, and how much theirs?  From what I read it was mostly Thorne?

I won't be reading the script I don't think, although I would be interested in seeing the performance.
  • I initially was excited at the news of a new Harry Potter story. Then was disappointed that it was just going to be the script. Yet, I don't know that I'll ever have a chance to see the play, so I decided the give it a read. Ultimately, I don't mind if the actual text is not written by Rowling. As long as she's involved and it's a good story, I'm fine with it.

I just pre-ordered the Kindle copy and will be giving it a read when it drops. Partly just so I can participate in the conversation.
    Imo the fact that is just the script is lazy/cheap. You can't tell me that they couldn't have paid someone to ghostwrite adapt it to a novel?

They didn't becuase they knew people would buy it anyway.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Imo the fact that is just the script is lazy/cheap. You can't tell me that they couldn't have paid someone to ghostwrite adapt it to a novel?

They didn't becuase they knew people would buy it anyway.
    Romeo and Juliet, Hamlet, Macbeth, and Othello are all plays. I'd rather have a book too but you can't dismiss the format entirely. 
    Well, I suppose if their goal is to expose the unwashed masses of Harry Potter fans to different culture, this is a good move.  I don't think that's their goal, and I would almost be willing to bet a weeks pay that a full novelization will come out sometime in the not too distant future, similar to the way they shovel out the theatrical release and then do the special editon, to soak die hard fans twice.  And that's probably not fair either, but that's what it feels like. 

Still, I've got it pre-ordered on Kindle and will devour it within a day of it's bits hitting my device.
    I'm not so much dismissing the format, I have read a ton of plays.

The difference between William Shakespeare and this Harry Potter script is that Shakespeare didn't have a stand outside selling copies of his script before the play was even done.

Hell if you want to make the argument that the format gives people culture, I would rather them sell a video of the production.

I agree with @A_Ron_Hubbard there is almost a 100% chance this gets adapted to both a novel and a full length movie at some point.

And don't get me wrong I'm not shitting on it, I will be with everyone reading it.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    edited July 2016
    I may be mistaken but I believe the reason for the script being published and not a novelisation is that JK Rowling stuck firm to her "no more Potter novels" statement, and that the publication of the script was pretty much out of her control, more to do with the associated partners and stage production backers wanting to milk as much revenue out of it as they can (also an element of letting worldwide fans who won't be able to see the play still be included in the new chapter of the universe).

And as for a novel version of the Cursed Child coming out in the future, I absolutely cannot imagine Rowling giving her permission for anybody else to write and publish a Harry Potter book that wasn't written 100% by the woman herself, and if she says no more novels, then I'm pretty sure there'll be no more novels.

As for the release, I absolutely cannot WAIT to get my hands on it. Will get to London at some point to see the production too I'm sure. But the hardcopy will do me for the weekend! I'm an O.G. Potter fan, even got the last line of the last book tattooed on my wrist!

DaveyMac
  • Luke said:

I'm not so much dismissing the format, I have read a ton of plays.

The difference between William Shakespeare and this Harry Potter script is that Shakespeare didn't have a stand outside selling copies of his script before the play was even done.

Hell if you want to make the argument that the format gives people culture, I would rather them sell a video of the production.

I agree with @A_Ron_Hubbard there is almost a 100% chance this gets adapted to both a novel and a full length movie at some point.

And don't get me wrong I'm not shitting on it, I will be with everyone reading it.

I hear what you're saying for sure that it's already commercialized, and Shakespeare never had anything comparable, but we live in a different era. Shakespeare was never all that famous while he was alive; we hardly know anything about him. If he were alive today with our ultra-connected world it would not have taken decades to realize his brilliance, and every new release would be followed with this kind of fervor.

It might turn out to be nothing special and that this hype is unwarranted, but we know this woman is a master storyteller. If the reviews of the play have been so good I'm happy to be optimistic this could be something more than crumbs for starving fans.
    Well, I just finished reading it and I have to say it absolutely blew me away. Reading the script version posed no detriment to the experience, I was just as absorbed reading stage directions as I would have been reading chapter after chapter. I didn't want it to end, it was really, really, something special in my opinion!
    gjulleenryanfoster
  • amyja89 said:

Well, I just finished reading it and I have to say it absolutely blew me away. Reading the script version posed no detriment to the experience, I was just as absorbed reading stage directions as I would have been reading chapter after chapter. I didn't want it to end, it was really, really, something special in my opinion!

That's really great to hear! Really looking forward to reading this.
    amyja89
    I'm 33 percent through it and I feel like it's a chore. It starts right from the darkness of the final few HP novels and continues that trend, which is Maki g it hard for me to engage. I just don't care enough about Albus and Scorpio to enjoy seeing their angst fueled grim dark adventures. I perk up whenever the original 3 get some screen time, then slog through Albus, Scorpio and what's her name.

Hope it picks up or the follow through is worth it.
  • I'm 33 percent through it and I feel like it's a chore. It starts right from the darkness of the final few HP novels and continues that trend, which is Maki g it hard for me to engage. I just don't care enough about Albus and Scorpio to enjoy seeing their angst fueled grim dark adventures. I perk up whenever the original 3 get some screen time, then slog through Albus, Scorpio and what's her name.

A third of the way through, does it feel to you like it would work on the stage and it's just all the missing stuff around the dialog/stage direction that's dragging it down, or the story itself is just lacking so far?  From your description it sounds kind of like the latter?  I guess I'm asking--having read what you've read would you be excited to see the play?

I'm 33 percent through it and I feel like it's a chore. It starts right from the darkness of the final few HP novels and continues that trend, which is Maki g it hard for me to engage. I just don't care enough about Albus and Scorpio to enjoy seeing their angst fueled grim dark adventures. I perk up whenever the original 3 get some screen time, then slog through Albus, Scorpio and what's her name.

Interesting, I was all in on Scorpius from the beginning, less sold on Albus but I enjoyed the parallels between his character and how emo Harry used to be, especially in the Order Of The Phoenix/Half Blood Prince years.
  • Finished this yesterday. I thought the story was fun and entertaining, and it would be a blast to see the play. But compared to the books it feels like crappy fan fiction. The writing is pretty terrible in places and the characters, particularly Ron and Hermione, feel like caricatures of themselves. I was able to enjoy the story once I accepted it for what it was, but the starting premise was still pretty ridiculous and poorly motivated. If you're looking for another Harry Potter book you'll be dissapointed, but It's still entertaining, and a pretty quick read.
    ToolowbrowDaveyMac
  • I finished it yesterday and I'm not sure where I land. I was thoroughly engaged while reading it and kept wanting to find out what would happen next. Yet, because it's a play, a lot of the ideas have to be spelled out in obvious ways through the dialogue, which makes it feel a bit clunky at times. Maybe that's just me not being used to reading plays. Plus I haven't been to the theater in years, so I am out of touch with the format. 

I also found Ron to be an annoying caricature that just didn't have a clue and I did not like his portrayal at all. I think I would have found a lot of the realizations and relationships more moving in novel form, but maybe on the stage it works better.

I'm being vague here so as not to be spoilery, but I also wish they had explored more new territory story-wise.
    I'm with @Shum.  I want to see the play for the spectacle, but ye gods was it poorly written.  I just finished it last night.  It's like someone made a cliffnotes version of HP 1-7, and all seven books were poorly constructed time travel romps.  Just, ugh.  

Also, it seems like they wanted Albus and Scorpio to be gay but decided to pull the punch in the final draft.  I don't get it.  
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard. Yeah, i noticed that too. Maybe they'll do a press conference after the first run is over announcing that they were actually gay the whole time...