Crazy Theory Thread

AndrewAndrew New York
There should be a place to document everyone's crazy theories about Mr. Robot.  This is it.  Don't miss out.  Get all the internet points. 

Comments

• AndrewAndrew New York
    Here's one that is easily falsifiable:

Ray is Elliot.
    Ray is another persona of Elliot.  He's the good cop to Mr. Robot's bad cop.  Both have the same goal; get Elliot back into the game, yet they have different tactics.  

Reasoning:
    - No one interacts with both Ray and Elliot at the same time.  The only time we come close to someone acknowledging Ray and Elliot is after Leon confronts the basketball player.  Leon's "yes sir," to Ray would indicate the Leon works for Elliot or is a member of F Society somehow.  All circumstantial yes, but how does a guy like Elliot make new friends?  And who eats 3 meals a day with someone without some kind of obligation?
    - Ray's assertion of "we're more alike than you think Elliot."
    - Ray being in a position of power.  We've seen Mr. Robot do the same thing, and have the same authority.  
    - Ray finding Elliot.  How the hell else would he know who Elliot is, where to find him, and what he can do?  Unless Romero, Mobley, Darlene, Trenton, Gideon or Tyrell talked, does anyone know about Elliot?
    - Ray having Elliot's notebook.  Rather than Ray having a friend that knows Elliot and then fishing a notebook out of the garbage at a meeting that he didn't attend (that woman ran the meeting,) and finding Elliot's name although it wasn't on the cover... maybe Ray just picked it up from the garbage because he is Elliot.

Still not sure how to square the dialysis or him talking to his dead wife...
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    edited July 2016
    @Andrew

Why would Ray tell Elliot he doesn't remember speaking together earlier? Unless you're saying Mr. Robot and Ray are conspiring against Elliot.

Why does Ray have goons beat up a dude about failed cyber security and need info how to fix it or find someone to when he is also Elliot?

Maybe I'm naive but I take it on the surface level that Ray recognizes Elliot talks to people in his head like he talks to his wife as a coping mechanism and that's why he says we're more alike than you think.

Idk how difficult it would be to find out that Elliot worked at AllSafe but it's not inconceivable or impossible in my mind so that's a way Ray knows Elliot has certain skills he seems to keep pursuing one way or another, like the failed programmer that got beat up. Ray clearly has sophisticated underworld contacts he could utilize.

Ray comes off as one of those upstanding members of the community but is totally an organized crime boss. I can easily believe he has genuine connections to faith community members that would get him this notebook.

Actually just realized since Ray has goons, he probably does have someone monitoring Elliot, maybe not 24/7 surveillance or anything like that, but if he went bonkers at a church bible study, word would get back to Ray.

Suffice to say I just really don't buy into this theory.
  • AndrewAndrew New York

@Andrew

Why would Ray tell Elliot he doesn't remember speaking together earlier? Unless you're saying Mr. Robot and Ray are conspiring against Elliot.

Why does Ray have goons beat up a dude about failed cyber security and need info how to fix it or find someone to when he is also Elliot?

Maybe I'm naive but I take it on the surface level that Ray recognizes Elliot talks to people in his head like he talks to his wife as a coping mechanism and that's why he says we're more alike than you think.

Idk how difficult it would be to find out that Elliot worked at AllSafe but it's not inconceivable or impossible in my mind so that's a way Ray knows Elliot has certain skills he seems to keep pursuing one way or another, like the failed programmer that got beat up. Ray clearly has sophisticated underworld contacts he could utilize.

Ray comes off as one of those upstanding members of the community but is totally an organized crime boss. I can easily believe he has genuine connections to faith community members that would get him this notebook.

Actually just realized since Ray has goons, he probably does have someone monitoring Elliot, maybe not 24/7 surveillance or anything like that, but if he went bonkers at a church bible study, word would get back to Ray.

Suffice to say I just really don't buy into this theory.

Yeah, again this is admittedly wacky. But if he were Ray, I'd assume it was a recruiting mission, similar to what Mobley was doing in the open. He could fix it, but he's looking for coders who are just as good as he is for their next phase.

I also feel like some who's as paranoid as Elliot would notice a tail. In the 1st season, he was constantly on the lookout for people following him.

P.S. How hard is it to migrate a site using hot and cold wallets, etc? I honestly have no idea. Is Elliot literally one of the only people in NY who can do it? Otherwise, why even bother with someone as unstable as him, unless you have other motives? Especially if you're paying people to do the job, in a recession.
    edited July 2016
    Well robbing criminals is a perfect plan bc they have no legal means of recourse or protection. So Ray would have to find anyone and pay whatever just so he can keep his operation going, the sooner the better. To your point Ray seemed to try out alternatives for cyber security as in the beat up programmer before having to return to an unstable Elliot for assistance. Perhaps he was the initial person setting up the illegal operation and failed to protect or fix it as paid and that's why he got got, rather than an alternative to Elliot.

If it were a recruiting mission then why beat up someone who failed the test?

Idk if Elliot has a tail per se following him around. Since he has this hyper rigid routine at the same locations you just have informants at say the dinner, Basketball court, Bible study that relay reports to Ray.
    Andrew
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    How far do we take these theories? I know people figured out the Elliot/Mr Robot dynamic early but are we going to hard on who else is real/isn't real. I wouldn't be surprised if no one is real in the whole show and its something Elliot is seeing whilst high or Elliot is in an institution. I know that's a little St Elsewhere but in all honesty I can't trust anything I see on this show. 
    TheEconomistAndrew
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    Well then... On to the next theory.
    GredalBeeMelonusk
    edited July 2016
    I don't even know what the next main theory is besides the Tyrell is Elliot stuff. I suppose the institution theory might still hold. If Ray is a counselor or something and he's having Elliot use his office work PC. Darlene seemed miffed by the living arrangements. And he's using a weird red hallway phone. But I'm going to keep going on the surface level bc if whackier theories are true then is a surprise and I can get disappointed if a pet theory gets put down.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    edited July 2016
    New One:

Tyrell Wellick is alive and with (or possibly a hostage of) the Dark Army.

Reasoning:
    • In the finale of season 1, Price indicated that he knew who was responsible for the hack and would deal with them accordingly.
    • The box that was sent to Joanna had a ribbon that looked very similar to a white rose.  She also seemed to know that there would be something more to it, indicating that it was less of a surprise and more of an expected communication. image
    • Joanna's having money problems but isn't rushing out to try to prove her husband's dead.  You'd have to imagine that someone like Tyrell Wellick has a life insurance policy.  Rather than a severance package, she could be getting that sweet, sweet death dough.
    • When they were in "wipe down" mode at the arcade, they never mentioned a bloody murder scene.  Even getting shot with one bullet would cause a fair amount of bleeding.  Elliot left no residual evidence and moved a body by himself?
    • Elliot's missing three days, but we can account for two.  The parking attendant, Kareem, said that Elliot had been sleeping for two days in the car, but we know he'd been missing for three.  In that one day, a lot of abduction/dealing/hiding with the Dark Army could've gone down.
    • In fact, why else would Joanna be paying someone to maintain a story, especially as jumpy as that fella is, without a clear, somewhat eminent agenda?
    • When Price and White Rose are speaking in this latest episode, "Why put all your faith in her..." Perhaps they're speaking of Joanna.

TheEconomistDoctor_Nick

I have a crazy theory that Tyrell in the flashback scene of the hack/popcorn gun retrevial is Romero and Elliott killed Romero. But I can't remember why I think that or what spurred me to think that. Need more Adderal. :D

I don't see how that's possible to then stage the body at Romero's mother's house with the blood pattern and everything. Also you think if Elliot went that far he'd destroy ANY evidence leading to F Society. I assume that location and its objects are real bc the FBI were there, otherwise we can't count on anything being real, maybe that's a meta point but it makes the show too difficult to follow.

Maybe he's hallucinating he's at the hideout but conducts the final attack from Romero's mother's would defeat the purpose of a hideout also no way in hell Romero would allow it from his mother's.

I assume that location and its objects are real bc the FBI were there, otherwise we can't count on anything being real, maybe that's a meta point but it makes the show too difficult to follow for me to think its viable.
  • @Andrew in this situation I doubt NY Life or Mass Mutual is going to pay out quickly even if they found his body. I would not be surprised if there were limitations placed on insurance and annuity companies in a similar way as banks.
    TheEconomist
  • Andrew said:

• In fact, why else would Joanna be paying someone to maintain a story, especially as jumpy as that fella is, without a clear, somewhat eminent agenda?
    • When Price and White Rose are speaking in this latest episode, "Why put all your faith in her..." Perhaps they're speaking of Joanna.

If Johanna needing money was important to Price and Whiterose, it would have been arranged already.... 
  • edited August 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    @akritenbrink I made an incorrect inference when you said popcorn gun and killed that it tied into the shell casing the FBI found at the arcade thus the murder was there. So is that shell casing just a red herring? I lean that way myself. You don't scrub a scene like that and leave such obvious evidence.

I think it's the Dark Army and Whiterose behind the killings. It's why she's keeping tabs on the FBI investigation. When they get too close Dark Army snuffs a member of F Society. Spreading out the location and timing of the murders helps keep connections and suspicions down. Perhaps Romero was on to the Dark Army and that's why he left such evidence for the FBI to track down and perhaps put F Society in protective custody.
  • Not sure if anyone has proposed this but Darlene sent the phone to Joanna. I have no basis for this just throwin it out there.
This discussion has been closed.