Groundhog Day

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
So this morning I'm catching up Bald Move financials (worst part of the job, easy), and I have Groundhog Day on in the background. Jack's half watching and half playing with his tablet, when about 30 minutes in it hooks him. We have various philosophical discussions about life and love and relationships and the weird metaphysics of the movie, then at the end he asks, "so did the Day end because she fell in love with him?" And I say, "Maybe. Or did the Day end because he genuinely became a good person, and a genuinely good person is the type of man she'd fall in love with?" "Oooooohhhhhh..."

I love this movie. I always forget about it when people ask about my top 5 movies, but next to the Empire and Godfather, it's probably the movie I've seen the most. I'm surprised Big Lebowski gets its own festival and we can't get a Groundhog Day Fest? How fun would that be? What else are you going to do in early February?
TravisryanfosterbazjensterSandyWest79Mofojones333JaimieThypergenesbalexander.klassen

Comments

• Bill Murray is the reason that movie is timeless! Aside from Ghostbusters I would say it's the best performance of his career.
    A_Ron_HubbardTravisSandyWest79Mofojones333
  • Man, I love Groundhog Day. It's always great when a movie can crack you up and give you those warm, legit and well earned Hallmark-y feelings particularly as the world becomes more and more cynical. It's just such a wonderful warm blanket of a movie. It's been quite a few years now, but I used to make a point of watching it every year or two.

I also love the relationship you have with your son from the way you talk about it here. If I ever have a child of my own I really am going to take a whole lot of the things that you've said over the time I've listened to BM to heart. I really appreciate the amount of respect that you have for him and the way that you don't brush things off for fear that he's too young to understand them. Kudos to you.

As for Groundhog Day Fest. I love it! Fantastic idea!

Another movie in that vein that is very underappreciated is Woody Allen's Everyone Says I Love You. It's a little hokey, but it's a really fun watch and it just makes me feel good. Great flick.

A_Ron_Hubbardryanfoster
  • Even if being with Rita is just correlation and not causation with finally being able to escape the day, it still feels uncomfortably close to getting the girl being the goal of life and marriage/family being the thing that makes life worth living. I never liked that message.

How are you guys broadcasting the marathon? Twitch, Youtube? Is it for all or just supporters?
  • edited January 28
    I think it's the biggest tragedy in the world that this movie wasn't released on Groundhog Day. They missed it by 10 days (Feb. 12)
  • I’ve always been a “What about Bob” guy. By far my favourite Bill Murray movie. But groundhogs day is definitely up there. 

I thought i remember hearing the guys say they were going to do some sort of groundhogs day marathon? Or did I just dream that?
  • Hatorian said:
    I’ve always been a “What about Bob” guy. By far my favourite Bill Murray movie. But groundhogs day is definitely up there. 

I thought i remember hearing the guys say they were going to do some sort of groundhogs day marathon? Or did I just dream that?
    Damnnn. Prisoners and What About Bob? Are we best friends?!
    Hatorian
  • edited January 29
    Hatorian said:

Bald Move 24 hour live-watch of Groundhog Day on Feb. 2 is confirmed. Not sure what time/timezone they're starting at, though.
    Hatorian
  • gguenot said:
    Hatorian said:
    I’ve always been a “What about Bob” guy. By far my favourite Bill Murray movie. But groundhogs day is definitely up there. 

gguenotMrXMurderbear
  • if you're like me and can't get enough podcasts about groundhog day:  chuck bryant recently published a podcast interview with griffin mcelroy re: groundhog day on his movie crush podcast.
    Murderbear
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited January 29
    Hatorian said:
    gguenot said:
    Hatorian said:

Geesh take it to the Bald Move dating thread guys ;)
    MurderbearHatorian