Movies considered Great that you hate.

All in the title. Following the very interesting thread of movies considered crap that you enjoy (I re-discovered some good-crap movies there!), I was wondering the opposite. Is there any "classic" or great movie that you've seen and didn't like for whatever reason?

I usually fall in line with the general consensus. But there's one that has been tainted by A.ron, and that is The Usual Suspects. I don't hate it, I still enjoy Kevin Spacey and some of the stuff there - but his very reasoned argument for why this is an overrated movie partially ruined it for me.

Frakkin TTravisTaraC73

Comments

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    edited July 2016
    Do movies that you can't make it through count as hate? Because I've yet to finish American Beauty despite trying 3 times. Not the same as hate though.
    I guess I'm more "not sure why this is considered great" than "hate".
    Travisghm3
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Admittedly I have to give it a rewatch but 22-year old me was bored to tears by 2001.
    Travis
  • I totally fucking hated Raging Bull. There, I said it! (ducks from projectile vegetables) One of the most boring movies I've ever seen.
    TaraC73CarnivalArts
  • Frakkin T said:

Admittedly I have to give it a rewatch but 22-year old me was bored to tears by 2001.

I tried this one just a few years ago and felt the exact same. I actually turned it off halfway through. I've come to terms with the fact that I will never see this movie in its entirety
    Travis
  • Hate is a strong word and I wouldn't say I hate any of these movies, but there are definitely a lot of classics/"greats" that I don't really care for. A couple off the top of my head:

Citizen Kane (I understand it's place in history and what it did for the medium, but I don't enjoy it or get wrapped up in it when it's on.)
    Vertigo (I just don't get it. I find it so laborious to get through, despite all Hitchcock's technical prowess and cool twist of an ending.)
    The Usual Suspects (I find it to be a very average film until the end. I do like Del Toro, though.)
    Fight Club (I'll be re-watching this this week for the Direct podcast, but it didn't really do much for me at the time. Maybe I'll change my mind this time around. I'm not a big fan of stories in general where one character turns out to be in another character's head.)
    TravisMelia004
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I wouldn't say I hate It's A Wonderful Life, but I find it schlocky and a bit boring (and I'm a fan of old movies). Maybe you have to be American to appreciate it - it has a vibe I just don't relate to at all.

I hate The Godfather. The whole look of it seems like they couldn't afford proper lights, and it's so boring and long. And oh my god, don't even get me started on Brando. The guy couldn't act for shit. I don't care what anyone says.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I fucking hate Woody Allen and all of his movies (always hated him even before he married his kid)

@DaveyMac I'm with you on the Vertigo hate. It is the second worst Hitchcock film... The worst is Psycho. Hate, hate, hate that movie with a passion.

The Sound Of Music - dreadfully drawn out and boring

trippyghm3Travis
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    I have the opposite experience with It's a Wonderful Life—I typically don't enjoy old or "classic" movies, but that one is, to me, still really amazing and holds up as a great movie.

Now, on to the point...

Boondock Saints is garbage. It has this huge cult following, which usually means that I'll like a movie, but not in this case. After several attempts to watch it, I finally made it all the way through the movie about a year ago. I just don't get it. It's corny and ridiculous, and not in a good way.

Also, Taxi Driver. I love Scorsese and DeNiro, but this movie didn't really hit the mark for me. I didn't hate it, but I failed to see why it was so great.
    Frakkin T
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    @TaraC73 I cant stand the Sound of Music, my nieces have recently started watching it (3&5) and they love it because of the music but they don't know the name of it and just call it "the long movie" they aren't wrong about that either yikes

I know there was a thread around movies you would watch again I think that's more where Schindler's List sits for me. It is a very well made movie but I don't think its top 5 (IMDB list)

I think I had expectations set to high with Mad Max: Fury Road it was a good movie but nothing spectacular

Zero Dark Thirty is one I couldn't get through at the time but it had nothing to do with the subject matter

The Pianist was hot garbage in my opinion 
    TaraC73
  • theres a lot of old movies that i can't get into for a variety of reasons that would be considered great. I also don't find Tarentino's works to be as good as everyone says. They are not bad per se. Just not as good as people talk them up. 

Wall-E is probably the biggest pixar movie I can't stand. 

Then there are romantic dramas like English Patient or Life is Beautiful or Skakespeare in Love that are just not my cup of tea. 

Some recent Oscar movies I didn't really like 12 years a slave and the Revenant. 
  • I really don't like The Departed (spoilers ahead). I think the way Leo's character gets taken out is one of the cheapest things that I have ever seen in a movie. Some character with next to zero lines and screentime appears out of nowhere to assassinate the hero at his triumphant moment. Sure, Damon still gets his, but the equivalence to me would be if at the end of The Dark Night Rises a homeless Parisian stabbed Batman in the kidney while he was having lunch with Catwoman.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    @Travis agreed on Raging Bull @WarpFox Right on about Boondock Saints and please watch Taxi Driver again! It's NYC at the height of urban decay and anchored by at least 5 solid performances. Not a shot is wasted.

@TaraC73 You don't like Psycho?

I get why people are down on Citizen Kane, but to me it's electric every time I see it. It's a solid script and a career-defining performance for Orson Welles, on both sides of the camera. And then you hear the backstory of the movie, that Welles made the whole thing as a troll of one of the most powerful men in America. We are still talking about Rosebud today; how many people know that it was WR Hearst's nickname for a certain part of his mistress's body? Welles is unflinchingly daring, and the film is both the beginning, the high point, and the real end of his career. 
    Travis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Agreed on The Sound of Music. Just no. Sorry, can't do it.

Ok, so I get that I'm most likely going to be violently flamed for this, but I can't get into Star Trek. They say you're either a Star Wars fan or a Star Trek fan, and I'm just barely a Star Wars fan. I just have never felt the urge to see it or have even seen the appeal of any of the movies or even the tv show. Nope. Same with the LoTR, Pirates of the Caribbean, and Mission Impossible movies.
    BourbonQueen
  • Grease. Just fuck off.

Also, special mention must go to Titanic, the most over viewed kinda fun popcorn flick of all time. How this film sits at #2 on the all-time worldwide box office list does not compute. I vividly remember being about 15 when it came out and HATING all the billions of thirteen-year-old girls that camped at the theaters for weeks... And it knocked Star Wars IV off the top of the list :(
    Travis
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    @Frakkin T - psycho is a snooze fest! Zzzzzzz!!

I've never seen taxi driver... Maybe I should.

@Melia004 - I love titanic but it's more like a guilty pleasure for me. I certainly do not think of it as this big awesome film; it's more of a fun movie to watch (as fun as a story can be that ends in 2000+ peoples deaths LOL!)
  • edited July 2016
    My god. Most of the movies selected for this thread have me like 
    TaraC73Dani_Armindokingbee67AntManBee
  • TaraC73 said:

@Frakkin T - psycho is a snooze fest! Zzzzzzz!!

I've never seen taxi driver... Maybe I should.

@Melia004 - I love titanic but it's more like a guilty pleasure for me. I certainly do not think of it as this big awesome film; it's more of a fun movie to watch (as fun as a story can be that ends in 2000+ peoples deaths LOL!)

I hate Titanic much like I hate Tom Brady--even more for how he is regarded than for who he actually seems to be. I had a very Jim-Princess Bride-like stance against Titanic until, of course, a girl strong-armed me into watching it.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I guess most people consider it a great movie but I HATED Donnie Darko.
    MichellePavkey88
  • edited July 2016
    @WonderedObject Hahaha as soon as I read this thread title American Beauty instantly popped in my head.

One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Apocalypse Now, The Shining

WonderedObject
  • This is an interesting thread, almost like " I hate bacon" or " chocolate sucks", "sex is overrated", or well........hmm....... Whom I kidding, I love bacon.
    TaraC73elgat0
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    This thread...its making me uncharacteristically angry for some reason. Maybe its because a number of movies I love (and seem to be universally loved) aren't getting fawned over. Not that it should matter, mind you. Live and let live. Not every movie is for everyone. But I really can't understand not adoring a number of movies mentioned here. Like I just can't fathom it.
    Melonuskelgat0
  • MichelleMichelle California

I guess most people consider it a great movie but I HATED Donnie Darko.

You're not alone, friend.
    Murderbear
  • BigSmellBigSmell Raleigh, NC

Also I thought Blade Runner was boring as shit but I'm 21 what do I know
  • BigSmellBigSmell Raleigh, NC
    davemcb said:

Zero Dark Thirty is one I couldn't get through at the time but it had nothing to do with the subject matter
    Zero Dark Thirty is a snoooooooozefest
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    @BigSmell Blade Runner is indeed boring as hell. Maybe it's visually interesting and has a cool mood about a shitty future. But watched it multiple times and the story is still huh? Maybe I zoned out too much bc it was so boring.

I wanted to love Mad Max Fury Road bc it was so hyped but it's like just okay. I will give props to it being done with largely practical effects so technical awards well deserved. I guess the movie was just one notch too weird for me as well.

Oh and I just recently finally saw Trainwreck. Wow overrated. I'm all for having more female driven and led movies but it was like a typical Apatow movie. Bloated and meandering. Perhaps like life I guess, but that ending flat sucked going full into cliche and trope.

@BigSmell ;

Oh and I just recently finally saw Trainwreck. Wow overrated. I'm all for having more female driven and led movies but it was like a typical Apatow movie. Bloated and meandering. Perhaps like life I guess, but that ending flat sucked going full into cliche and trope.

It was not good. I don't usually see comedies in general (or if I do, I am picky about it), and this was just a reminder why I don't. It was awful. That ending was atrocious. I think I actually was shaking my head and groaning.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I don't know that anyone considers Trainwreck a "great" movie though.
  • i'm not sure if it's considered great, but apparently a lot of people apparently liked moulin rouge whereas i thought it was borderline unwatchable.
    CarnivalArts
    Good point...but I am sure there are some knuckleheads out there that think it is high art.
  • I won't say I "hate" it, but Fargo the movie never captivated me the way the show does.