Slaughterhouse-Five

So I heard A.Ron talking about reading Slaughterhouse-Five on one of the podcasts and I thought I would give it a go. Great book, loved it. But there is also a movie based on the book from 1972 and I was wondering if its worth watching. Anyone seen it and if so how was it?

Comments

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Love this book. Love love Kurt Vonnegut in General. Wouldn't mind a bald move book read podcast :smile:
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I haven't seen the movie, but this is what Vonnegut said about it: "I love George Roy Hill and Universal Pictures, who made a flawless translation of my novel Slaughterhouse-Five to the silver screen ... I drool and cackle every time I watch that film, because it is so harmonious with what I felt when I wrote the book."

I feel like that's about the highest praise you can have for a book to movie deal.
  • AndrewAndrew New York
    I can't imagine a movie being anywhere close to the book. The book was just too great for the cinema of the mind. I feel like anything I would watch (especially with 1970s cameras and effects) would be a disappointment.

Also, this:

• I saw the movie in a film class back in college (late 80s). All I remember is everyone in the class (who'd read it) saying, "the book was way better." but the teacher kept arguing with us about it's upside. as @AndrewTobey‌ says, the book itself is "cinema of the mind." a total bitch to adapt. But Vonnegut apparently loved it, and the film remains pretty highly rated. Might have to revisit.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Yeah, I'd like to see it. But it's a 70's movie, and the more I think about it, the more a cackling, gleeful Vonnegut recommending the movie seems less like the kind of recommendation I'd take to the bank. And so it goes.
  • Thanks for your opinions. I think I'll probably check it out if I can find it. I'm more curious than anything about how such a book could be adapted, especially with 70's cinema tech. Could make for a good review A.Ron. Maybe make a 'Classics' section of Baldmove ;-)
This discussion has been closed.