No Mans Sky

DrewDrew indianapolis
So tonight is the night, after years of teases and dreams we finally get this game into our hands. I figured we should start a stand alone thread so we can post our finds for each other to check out. I'll also use this to post links to patch notes, news, etc.

So for day 0 here's what we have in the big 1.03 patch.
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/2016/08/update-1-03/

It's a pretty big update with a lot of changes and additions to the game as well as teases to what's in store in the upcoming updates.

Enjoy exploring the universe, can't wait to see what you all find on your journey's.
Murderbear

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Preloaded on my PS4 already. Which is nice but hard to see the notification saying it was installed. Agh! Quit teasing me!

So pumped though. Ready to go get lost in a vast universe.
    Drew
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Since I preloaded it I've kept selecting it hoping beyond hope Sony and Hello Games said screw it push it through. So excited to get off work and play it tonight!
    Murderbear
  • I am so pumped up for this game. Will be spending all night playing it. I hope I get an awesome starter planet. But maybe not too awesome as I might not want to leave lol.

Maybe post some pics here if you can of what you see. 
    DrewFreddy
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    What's the best way to get ps4 screenshots off the system? I've only ever shared within ps messages.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited August 2016
    Got an hour and 27 minutes to go. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait.

My twitch stream is DoctorBell (PS4 signature as well), fyi. But I've never done one before, so I'm sure it will be shit. Ha ha.
    Drew
  • So how is it?
  • I found a whole planet full of armless, legless half plant half animal people....

:/
    HatorianDrew
    Lonely.

Seriously though, I played about 3 hours last night and felt like I was making great progress in terms of wrapping my head around what the game is. Still though, my ship is weak, so no space battling yet, and every time I get into an interaction with an alien or alien artifact where there is a text option (think old school PC North American RPGs), I manage to make the wrong choice. But overall, I like it. About to squeeze a couple of hours in before work today.

HatorianDrew
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited August 2016
    I got about an hour under my belt last night and it was really just not enough time. I traveled to 4 planets so far and have encountered 1 animal life in my second planet.

I'm glad I preordered and got the ship that comes with a pre order because at the beginning, even with the upgraded ship, the inventory space is painfully low at this outset and with every piece of equipment needing to be constantly recharged and having to fix all the different parts of your ship, you kind of need a lot of resources so this opening hour is a big pain in the ass balancing that out.

My biggest complaint is inventory space and how that all works. So instead of having to eat to keep yourself going you have to constantly dump resources into recharging life support and your suits hazard protection. Obviously you have to refill your ship, but your ship has launch thrusters, hyper drive, and one other engine you have to refuel. Upgrades for ship/multi tool/suit takes up inventory slots further over crowding your precious inventory space, once I get far enough to upgrade to a bigger ship/suit inventory slots it should be better.

I've had fun with just exploring though, planets are huge! I had to get a particular resource to fix my hyperdrive at the beginning and was 5 minutes away from a deposit of the resource, had to jet pack over mountains and climb around caves to get to it. I had lofty ideas of fully exploring every planet of ever system I went to but quickly found out that it would probably be impossible if you want to enjoy the game.

As I said I've only came in contact with one animal species in my journey so far, so the leaks showing no barren planet was obviously on some sort of developer specific server because you can absolutely get on barren planets. One of the planets I landed on actually had the description of dead planet.

Despite my complaints getting your ship fixed up so you can go into space the first time and travel between planets and even solar systems is such a great feeling. Seriously I love space so much and to finally be able to play a game that lets me do something I know I will never get to do in my lifetime is such a great feeling. Space travel takes legitimate stretches of 5+ minutes of you don't have enough fuel for the particular in system jump that can make it 30 seconds - a minute.

My first alien race is the Gek, cool lizard like dudes. I do find it weird I've been to so many lifeless planets but have found so many of the Gek and their knowledge stones.
    edited August 2016
    Inventory management takes up a solid 1/10th of the game play. It's tedious at best, and extremely frustrating at times. Big problem being that items that should be stackable aren't (the shield recharging item and power cells come to mind) and from what I can tell there is no bank system for all the miscellaneous resources that you need to store. @Drew A solid fix would be for your ship to not require slots for essential systems. I could understand some of the extras like better shields and weapon systems, but even then I feel like I'm getting attacked on two fronts when upgrading (front 1 being the really specific resources and items needed to upgrade, and front 2 being the fact that I'll have less room for any resources and items if I do take the upgrade). Who knows though? Even if we were given a ton of room it would probably end up like Skyrim or Fallout where there is almost no amount of space that is sufficient.
  • I found a planet pretty much made of gold. I'm rich baby rich!
    Murderbear
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    So apparently even though the universe is supposed to be so large it was next to impossible people would ever find each other two people already did so today.

http://m.neogaf.com/showthread.php?t=1260567

And you can't even see each other in a Dark Souls or Journey type way like you are supposed to. I don't know but to me finding out that essentially there is little hope of this ever expanding to be a more multiplayer focused game kind of kills my hype for this game.

I think most people understood it was unlikely right now, but with the dev talking about things like base building etc I always assumed that this was a huge sandbox everyone would be playing in. Like if the players wanted to you could have people joining up to be pirates or whatever.

The fact that it is single player only makes this seem like a much smaller game, one I can't see lasting more than a few dozen hours or so. I just don't know if it justifies that 60 price tag.
    10 points to the first person that finds Planet Murderbear in the Bald Move Galaxy!
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I'll be keeping an eye out! I'm naming my planets and systems with a simple system, futuredrews# and futuredrewp#, of course the # is replaced with the number of the system or planet I'm on at the time so I'm up to 2 systems and 4 planets. I'll be posting some pictures later of my short adventure so far.

Finally found animals last night, some were pretty cool looking. Even the not so cool looking ones are so odd they have something of value to see. I'm still not really liking the inventory system and I'm desperately trying to upgrade my suit/ship so I can chill and just enjoy my exploring.

@Luke Sean Murray came out about the meet up and said some shit about how the servers are super overcrowded but they have ways to see other players and Easter eggs to show that you can make an impact other players are so I don't know what to believe. I'm enjoying the game, it's so serene and peaceful that I just like walking and flying around but I wish Hello Games would stop being so cagey, the game is out what's the point of not giving cut and dry answers at this point.

Oh I had my first space battle last night, destroyed a traders ship and a sentinel ship before jumping to a new system because the sentinels were coming fast and hard after taking out them two ships.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Here's some pictures from my adventure so far.

http://imgur.com/a/EGIxP
    Freddy
    Drew said:

Here's some pictures from my adventure so far.

http://imgur.com/a/EGIxP

Looks a lot like my adventure so far, except not as cool. What did you do to piss the RNG Gods off? He he.
    Drew
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I never have good luck with RNGesus! Seriously I've encountered one planet with animal life and one planets with lots of plants. The current planet I'm on is barren to life and plants but has tons of minerals.
  • Did anyone encounter the pre order hyperdrive bug?
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Yeah I fell victim to it. Even after resetting I'm still getting really crappy planets all the time.
  • JohnnyCharismaJohnnyCharisma Australia
    edited August 2016
    Here is a possible fix Drew:-

I'm good for now as my ship has a hyperdrive, but would love to find the blueprint to put my mind at ease. I'm still searching just in case in the future I get a ship without a hyperdrive.
    Drew
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited August 2016
    i can see why some people would be disappointed depending on what they were expecting, but i'm enjoying it so far (pc version).  i'm a few systems in now, the repetitiveness hasn't kicked in completely (still finding mostly new stuff and my exosuit's inventory is big enough now that it's not quite as annoyingly restrictive as it was in the beginning, although it's still annoying).  i still have my crappy starter ship though, ships are expensive.

(edit) speaking of ships--is there a way up increase the capacity of your current ship (a la the evosuit) or to get a bigger ship inventory do you have to buy or scavenge a new ship?
    As far as I've seen, you can't buy additional storage slots on the ships. One thing I like doing is stealing all the good bits from any ship you find. Switch to the new ship and make sure to break down all the upgrades the ship has on board, steal, and then switch back to your old ship.

Nine times out of ten though, a new ship will have one or two more storage slots than your current ship. So anytime I go to a new planet, I always seek it out just to check. (Transmission Towers always send you to a crashed ship)
    SheIsGeeky
  • Oh, I didn't know you could switch back if you switched to a salvaged ship.  Good tip to know, I've found a few but they weren't really any better than mine (and they were all busted up), I was saving up to buy a better one from a trader, but I keep blowing all my cash on other stuff like suit upgrades.
  • I'm just going to say it.

Fuck this game. If it didn't crash all the time it might just be fun to play.
    Nathan
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    After a ton of hours I'm pretty disappointed in this game to be honest. It's a nice game to put on a podcast and have a drink/smoke to but there is no depth. I find myself continuing to go to Minecraft, NMS should have launched with building options instead of patching them in whenever they get to it. When I play with my kids they enjoy going into space but planet life doesn't hold them, and I can't blame them considering we've gotten 1 lush planet filled with life. Walking around the lush, life filled planet was relaxing and beautiful but that's like my 9th planet and every other planet is barren. FML can I just get a nice 2-3 stretch of nice planets
  • super disappointing to hear. Was hoping this was going to be great. Guess this will be a discount buy for me if anything at all. 
    Drew
  • edited August 2016
    Yeah the game is beautiful but its shitty. No depth. I feel duped. But, I'm taking this as a learning opportunity not to buy into anyone's hype. I should know better anyway. 

Live and learn I guess...

I wouldn't buy this, not for $60.
  • BB2KBB2K Adelaide, South Australia
    i've heard this game described as a million miles wide and an inch deep, which is pretty accurate
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited August 2016
    i like it (and haven't had a crash in like 16 hours or so of play on pc), but $60 does seem steep for what it is--there's definitely a hype premium built into that price.  i sometimes-not-always like chill games though, like the european/american truck simulators, spintires, and others where you just kind of do chores all day.  those games are priced like half what this one is though.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited August 2016
    I just feel like there should be more to do. They've talked about building bases and space freighters as something coming in future, and I feel like Jeff Gerstmann said it best on the Giant Bomb podcast, you need to have elements in there already. So are they having to build, build elements from the ground up for that update or is there already a form of building/crafting not in game that they've been working with?

One thing I love about Minecraft is that in my first 5 minutes of playing a new world I can have enough wood/food to last me a good 4+ hours before I go stock pile back up, it lets me worry about mining and building instead of worrying about if I have enough of this or that. There is SO many different meters your in charge of in NMS that it's not fun. Everytime I turn around I'm needing to recharge my shield or life support, oh what's that the mining tool needs recharged and look at that my grenades and bolt caster need to be recharged, well shit I almost forgot about my hyper/warp drives as well as my ships shield and launch thrusters.

I usually really like resource management in games but stuff in this game depletes so quickly, and there's so many different elements for certain things it's just not fun. Even planet exploration feels tedious and boring, no diversity in bases/buildings, I've come across some cool ruins to be fair. I see no real reason to explore caves because there's been no hidden secrets in any I've explored and they all just contain the same elements the surface does. I've also played enough that every question I get at an outpost to turn off the alarm or search for crashed ships is just the same 4-5 questions repeated. For a game all about discovering life, this game feels insanely lifeless.