Olympic fever, catch it!

kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
edited August 2016 in General
Been watching the olympic coverage here and there. As we speak Bolt is set to run the 100m, he won the heat. Moves on to the next round.
I think I could watch any sport. Not that I'm a sports junkie but the stories the commentators add make it interesting. I like when the little countries take gold and I like to see the older vets add to there collection of medals.
Rio hasn't been the shit show they predicted, although the green pool looks nasty.
Favorite events for me.
Team volleyball
Boxing
Gymnastics the uneven bars and pummel horse stuff.
Swimming
Track and field, the racing and high jump.
I think of the best memories of Olympics past.
My sister in Her high school drill team marching in 84 opening ceremonies.
The high lights of lake placid being shown to the Ode To Joy, at the closing. Also of course the hockey team stomping those dreaded commies.
84 Big Macs, I was a teen I went to Mc Donald's pick up the tickets laying on the ground. If US won gold, Big Mac silver fries bronze soda. Remember soviet countries didn't show.
London swimming events.
Atlanta when the girl won the gymnastics, everyone at work was in tears.
Mary Lou, Nadia, Shrug, Douglas.
Ali bring in the torch. Yep cried then too.
Bruce Jenner
84 was the best I always looked at the murals on the side of the freeway, until they were messed up by graffiti. I heard they were gonna fix them.

Added in. I was looking in the paper and there was a article on Olympian Kim Rhode. She shoots skeet, if she medals that's six games she's medaled in. A record. I became aware of her in 96 I worked with her cousin for a short time. Good luck to her.

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I love the Olympics!

First games I remember was Sydney 2000, I was eleven.

I'm a Brit and London 2012 was absolutely amazing, me and my friend got tickets for some women's hockey and just being able to be at an Olympics was an incredible feeling. The opening ceremony with the Queen/Bond sketch had me falling off my couch in disbelief, and the Spice Girls performing was pretty much the greatest moment of my life haha!

As for favourite Olympic moments, it's pretty hard to look past 'Super Saturday' from 2012 when GB won three gold medals in track and field in the space of two hours with Greg Rutherford, Jessica Ennis and Mo Farah. It might be common occurrence for the USA but the whole country here went crazy.

It's been a privilege to be growing up in the era of people like Michael Phelps, Usain Bolt, Bradley Wiggins and many other great Olympians, and we're definitely seeing something incredible with Simone Biles in the gymnastics this year, that girl is on another planet.

There is something about human commitment and triumph that gets me really emotional, I always end up balling my eyes out to the montages that are created of all the medal winners moments of glory!

kingbee67
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    #amyja89 the part you said about commitment. The Greeks had a word for that; arête https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arete_(moral_virtue)
    In a nutshell being all you can be.
    amyja89
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited August 2016
    I love the online streams, great to have on random events like weightlifting or archery in the background during work. The"Gold Zone" feed is sweet, shuttles around to whatever is happening worth watching at the moment, and often has 4 feeds up on one screen. And the big ticket events have been exciting so far. Can't wait for the big track races.

The first Olympics I really remember getting into were '92 in Barcelona. Atlanta was awesome, and 2008 also just because they were the first I watched in HD, which was amazing at the time i recall.
    kingbee67
  • podcartfanpodcartfan Cincinnati
    When the men's 10000 started the family was all talking shit about how boring it would be. By the end we were all totally into it and cheering for Mo Farah. He took a fall and still won gold.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Settling in for the tennis final. Let's gooooooo Andy!
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited August 2016
    Track hasn't disappointed so far, last night was amazing. Van Niekerk demolishing Michael Johnson's 400m record may have been the best race of the Olympics so far, and it was great to see Bolt win his 3rd 100m gold. That man is unreal! He blows everyone away and smiles for the cameras while doing it (this was from the semis, he was bit more focused in the finals):

kingbee67
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I have to be honest and say that I wasn't excited about Rio this year ... all the predictions of it being horrible, my genuine worry about the athletes' health (terrorism as well as Zika), all the doping controversy ... I was like no thank you. But my husband turned it on, and oh my gosh, I got Olympic fever - bad!

I have loved all of it, but have a special love for gymnastics (I used to do gymnastics when I was young). The Final Final Five are incredible, and as someone who is barely 4'11" , my heart swells every time they replay that commentator calling Simone Biles a "4'8" GIANT". She is *amazing* !
    kingbee67