Official Direct Thread: The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Consider this your official thread for David Fincher's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. What are your favorite moments, fan theories, characters, camera moves and themes? What's your take on Fincher's take? Join us! 

Comments

• This is was the only Fincher film I hadn't seen and I had been avoiding it for years for no good reason, but now because of this marathon I've finally seen it. 

On the whole I thought it was just OK. It was technically really well done. Fincher does such a great job with digital filmmaking and a lot of the aging work is thoroughly impressive, especially with the young Brad Pitt stuff. I also like the film kind of feels like different Hollywood eras at times. Of course you've got the silent era, but there were also a lot old Hollywood sound stage back lot looks and I really liked that stuff. Then when Brad Pitt on was a motorcycle and getting younger, I also thought it looked a bit 70s era cinema. I just really dug the aesthetics of the film.

Story-wise, I thought they could have done a lot more with it. I think it could have been a lot weirder and more interesting. I would have liked more depth. You've got nearly three hours of film to really explore themes and emotions, but I felt like they stayed really shallow the whole time and basically never got beyond "death sucks and things change, but some things never change." It kind of got a bit repetitive for me and I kept waiting for more layers. I wanted more people to actually react to the the curious case that is Benjamin Button. Everyone just kind of shrugs it off. It also would have been nice to see Benjamin interact with the world and the different time periods more. 

Also, I'm not a big fan of the story framing with the dying mother and reading Benjamin's journal. I've never really been a fan of this type of framing device. And other than getting tax write-offs for shooting in New Orleans, does Katrina have anything to do thematically with the story? I'm not sure what they are going for there.

I will say though, that it did get me emotionally towards the end on just a basic human level. I think that stuff just works, especially when he leaves his daughter because he won't be able to be a father to her. Being a relatively new father, that hit with me. Also seeing the kid Benjamin become a baby was pretty moving as well. 
  • After watching the film, I did some reading on it, and I was surprised to see that it had been kicking around Hollywood since the 80's. At one point you had Frank Oz to direct with Martin Short starring. Then there was Spielberg and Cruise. The most interesting combination to me was Spike Jonze directing and Charlie Kaufman writing. That film probably would have been more up my alley. 
  • picorock80picorock80 San Bernardino Ca
    My first watch thru I saw a lot similarities to Forrest Gump, especially Daisy. She reminds me a lot of Jenny and when she goes to New York and Paris I didn't like her but after the accident that all changed. Jenny is still a bigger whore and really unlikeable but we see Daisy take care of Benjamin at the end and that was hard to watch.

Good movie.
    Adam