Books

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
I am relatively new to this forum- Is there a place where people talk about books?

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Not specifically, so I guess this thread is it now!
    George
  • Yeah every once in a while a thread pops up about books. I started one a while back that got a few comments, but it kind of petered out.

I absolutely love reading, but am a rather slow reader. The two I'm reading right now are "Wolf Hall" by Hilary Mantel and "The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories" by Ken Liu. 

Read anything good lately?
  • Lovecraft- "At The Mountains of Madness and Other Tales"

About to start "A Good Man is Hard to Find" by Flannery O'Connor.
  • I'm halfway through the first Game of Thrones and also reading "Into the Silence" by Wade Davis, which is about WW1 and the early expeditions to Mt Everest.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I am terrible nowadays. I used to read all the time and I even have two English degrees, but with work, internet, and TV I don't do a lot of reading any more. I was just looking over a list of books I could review and deciding I should be more diligent about reading this fall and winter.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I'm impressed with those of you who can read more than one book at a time, my brain won't let me start another until I've finished the first, no matter how much I'm not enjoying it!

Currently reading The Virgins by Pamela Erens.
    akritenbrink
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    Right now I'm reading Before The Fall by Fargo's Noah Hawley. Very much enjoying it.

Just finished listening to Pale Blue Dot By Carl Segan, which he mainly narrates himself. Incredible listen!
    FlashGordon
  • Most recently read El Narco - The bloody rise of the mexican drug cartels  I mostly do non-fiction these days, but anyone who wants a good comprehensive but accesible history and survey of the war on drugs, this is great, it goes well with Narcos coming back
  • Inspired by Hardcore History, just finished, Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World, by Jack Weatherford.  Recommended.
    FlashGordon
    amyja89 said:

I'm impressed with those of you who can read more than one book at a time, my brain won't let me start another until I've finished the first, no matter how much I'm not enjoying it!

I agree; I used to read multiple books at the same time in grad school because you had to do that to keep up. I spent several hours reading daily. You don't really retain as much when you are hustling through that much reading, though. I couldn't do it now with work and life and whatnot. Oh ... and GoT rewatching, haha.
  • For me, I like to have two books going at the same time, but they are usually in completely different genres. One is usually more dense and takes me longer to get through, while one is typically a breezier read. 

Also I like to have one going on the Kindle while I'm out of the house and a regular old paper book going while I'm at home.
    akritenbrink
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Working on Dark Tower and Ancillary Justice, a science fiction.thing. It's a little trippy.
  • kingbee67 said:

Working on Dark Tower and Ancillary Justice, a science fiction.thing. It's a little trippy.

I'm about 1/2 way through Ancillary Justice and digging it so far, excited to read the whole series.
  • CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Has anyone read The Ship of Theseus, the JJ Abrams book?  I go back every few weeks and read another chunk but it can be tedious.

I am also reading The Dresden Files at the behest of my betrothed, which has been lovely...as well as Always Hungry by David Ludwig which has been an enlightening trip in health/wellness.

I, too, am one of those people who read 15 books at once and chip away at them depending on my mood.
    DaveyMac36Mick
    I guess the last book I was reading was Padma Lakshmi's memoir, which I never finished, but it was OK light reading. I was reading it because we went to see her talk, which was surprisingly interesting, but I guess not interesting enough to finish the book, haha. (I'm not a big believer that you have to finish books if you're not into them). I read Salman Rushdie's memoir of his time under the fatwah a while ago (It's called Joseph Anton: A Memoir, and it's pretty good, although IMO he is a somewhat unreliable narrator about himself) so it was kind of interesting to read her side of that relationship because he really kind of glossed over that part of his life and didn't really describe her as a full person, IMO.

I just realized though that the last full book I read was my husband's, which is quite sad, lol. I really need to read more. 
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited August 2016
    I used to be a huge book reader. After college I slowed down considerably. Now I usually have 2 or 3 open books at a time but takes me forever to finish. Usually a mix of fiction and nonfiction. Right now I'm going through Ghost Fleet as my fiction and Inferno: The World at War as my non fiction.
    DaveyMac
    I couldn't read at all for about a year after I got my Master's degree (English, focus in American lit). It was too hard to enjoy reading. Oddly, I wasn't that into TV until I got a M.A. in literature and needed an escape haha.

I started a book last night: Still Here by Lara Vapnyar.  She's an excellent writer and I am really enjoying it. Unfortunately now that I am an old person I can't seem to lay down and bed and read so I only got 17% in before falling asleep haha. Note to self: Must read sitting up from now on.
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    I'm on my third read-through of Finnegans Wake because evidently I am a strange, strange man.
    akritenbrink
  • The one book I tell everyone to read is Magician by Raymond E. Feist. It's my favorite book of all time and I have worn out more that one copy because of re-reads.
    The book I am reading at the moment is The World of Ice and Fire. It's a Game of Thrones history book.
  • DansburyDansbury Austin, Texas
    I am listening to The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I am kind of a WWII nut, so anything regarding that time period is fascinating to me.
    I am an audiobook person. Since I work at a computer it allows me to listen to books all day. The problem with being an audiobook whore is the narrator can make or break the book. There are some great narrators out there but holy hell there is some crap out there. 
    @36Mick mentioned Into the Silence. That's on my list of books to listen to next. 
  • I love reading books!  I go through about 1-2 books a week (if I sacrifice sleep and they're good books).

I recently enjoyed "Survivor" by Chuck Palahniuk, but I'm a huge fan of his work in general.  

I decided to get an Audible account - big mistake.  Narrator is key for making the book work.  Plus, I just seem to always forget to listen and now I'm like 6 credits behind.  I'm currently listening to Orphan X and so far so good.  I finished "Outlander" and good grief that book druuuuuuuuuug on foreverrrrrrrrr.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I don't know what it is but I cannot listen to audiobooks. I listen to podcasts all the time and pay attention, but if it's a book I just find myself tuning out and thinking about other things.
    DaveyMacDoctor_NickElisa
  • I read multiple books at a time and I love audiobooks. I'm listening to a biography of Mao Zedong and reading a really great non-fiction book called "Annals of the Former World," by John McPhee. It's surprisingly engrossing but you would never think so, because it's a book about geology and the history of the formation of the planet. I know, sounds dry and terrible, but you wouldn't believe how entertainingly this guy writes.
  • I'm with you Dee. It's really hard for me to focus on audiobooks for some reason.
    Doctor_NickDeeElisa
  • Picked up and started The Stand, King.  More than 1400 pages.  It should keep me busy for a while.
    ElisaMelia004
    I finished Still Here by Lara Vapnyar. It was good, not great. It had some things to say about human relationships and social media that were interesting but could have been more interesting.
  • @tom_g I just picked up It by Steven King as my next book.
    DeeElisa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Just started a book by one of my favourite YouTubers, Mamrie Hart, it's basically a comical compilation of all of her best drunk stories (her YT channel is all about alcohol and inventing funny drinks for celebrities).

I needed a lighter touch after finishing Emma Cline's The Girls which was basically a story about a teenage girl who gets swept along in a narrative along the lines of the Manson family/murders!
  • Dee said:

I don't know what it is but I cannot listen to audiobooks. I listen to podcasts all the time and pay attention, but if it's a book I just find myself tuning out and thinking about other things.

I don't think I can listen to audiobooks either. It's strange. I've never really tried, though. Once or twice I listened to an excerpt on Audible to see if I liked it but I never got far.

Maybe this will change when my own books are released as audio books.

That's right. I'm an author. I'm famous!

http://amzn.to/2cLBse5

voodooratElisaDaveyMac