BBC Greatest 100 Films of the 21st Century

pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
Whenever these lists pop up, the first thing I check is the placement of In the Mood for Love. Number two, I'm satisfied.

AntManBeeFlashGordondarwinfeeshyDaveyMackingbee67

Comments

• FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited August 2016
    @pavlovsbell I wouldn't normally put much stock in these, but this is pretty comprehensive and what i've seen I agree with! A few favourites are , grand Budapest hotel, no country, lost in translation, city of god, hurt locker. Great post
    pavlovsbelldarwinfeeshy
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I've only seen 28 out of the 100, I need to improve my stats!
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited August 2016
    That is a pretty good list. Of what I've seen I would have moved the Dark Knight and Inception further back along with Inside Out. I wouldn't have had Moulin Rouge on this list. I'm happy Grand Budapest Hotel is getting love; I find it weirdly funny and very sad at the same time. Also The Lives of Others and Son of Saul.

I'm at 45/100 on the list.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England

That is a pretty good list. Can't believe Memento's not on it, that's the best Nolan I remember. Of what I've seen I would have moved the Dark Knight and Inception further back along with Inside Out. I wouldn't have had Moulin Rouge on this list. Im happy Grand Budapest Hotel is getting love; icons it weirdly funny and very sad at the same time.

Memento is number 25. ;-)
  • Yeah I noticed that when I went back.
  • Anyone else think that "Life of Pi" could be on the list? It's one of my faves.
    ryanfoster
  • I've seen a ridiculously tiny 11 of those. Far more of a TV series viewer. Hence, I will leave it to others to tell us if it's a good list or not!
  • edited August 2016
    Solid list. I've seen 39 of the films.

A few gripes, though:

How the hell is Spring Breakers on this list? Like, what in the actual fuck?

I can't believe Boyhood is #4. There are much better Linklater movies to put in that slot, such as Waking Life (which didn't even make the damn list!). But I'm biased because, even as the target demo for Boyhood, I really, really disliked that film.

And how the hell is Zero Dark Thirty higher than the Hurt Locker?

And Moulin Rouge is a surprise. I definitely didn't consider it great material. But it has Ewan McGregor AND Nicole Kidman, so I'll allow it.
    pavlovsbell
  • 16 years into the century I'm not gonna worry too much. But if some of these movies are still on this list in another 10 years then Hollywood has a problem.
    pavlovsbell
  • Also agree Spring Breakers should not be on this list and above something like Requiem for a Dream is just so wrong.
    pavlovsbelldarwinfeeshy
  • Ten movies that I absolutely love are in the top 15, so I can't complain. 
    pavlovsbellAntManBee
  • bizmarkiefaderbizmarkiefader San Francisco
    As much as I love Spring Breakers it is super silly it's on a list like this.
    darwinfeeshy
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Amelie in the high 80s! Scoffs! I said good day sir.
    pavlovsbelldarwinfeeshy
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Did anyone check out the individual lists? Matt Zoller Seitz's list really surprised me. Not one film before 2011, some excellent difficult films, and Godzilla. Cheeky guy.

The individual lists are interesting because six people thought highly enough of Moulin Rouge! to include it in their top ten. Personally, I would choose Royal Tenenbaums over Grand Budapest Hotel, but to each her own.

DaveyMac
  • I love that this came out almost in time for J&A's crowd commissioned Mulholland Drive podcast (Also, this is a great list to find other films I have not yet seen).

I stumbled upon this article that was linked to the list. It offers why they chose they're #1. Almost brought a tear to my eye:

http://www.bbc.com/culture/story/20160822-why-mulholland-drive-is-the-greatest-film-since-2000

DaveyMac
  • The cool thing about those individual lists is seeing what critics from all over the world rank as their best. Of course the bulk of the critics are from the U.K. and the U.S., but it was cool seeing what movies resonated with critics in various parts of the world and how different some of their choices are from the typical answers you see in the U.S. and U.K.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Ida is a fantastic film.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    No Les Miserables??? Yet Moulin Rouge! is on the list? There is something very wrong with that.
  • edited August 2016
    Michelle said:

No Les Miserables??? Yet Moulin Rouge! is on the list? There is something very wrong with that.

I liked Les Mis, but I felt that the vocal performances really hurt that film. Having non-professional singers like Hugh Jackman, Russell Crowe, and Anne Hathaway as leads was just not a good idea. I respect the fact that the actors in Les Mis were singing live on set, whereas Moulin Rouge used a studio recording and lip synced. However, I think that in a musical there is no excuse to not have top notch musicians in every role. It's not like the industry is lacking people that have amazing voices.

And I understand that it was for marketing purposes. I just wish there were better singers in it.
    ryanfoster