Another LotR box set edition!!

https://www.amazon.com/Middle-Earth-UCE-BD-Blu-ray/dp/B01JH3KL0E/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1471880517&sr=8-2&keywords=middle+earth

Check out that price tag! Are they out of their fucking minds?!!
Made me think about the blue yonder episode format wars.
Murderbear

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    And it's on sale! Wow, that's pretty crazy.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    WTAF!?!?
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Its a very classy looking set. I also saw earlier in the week they had it listed for around $800. So the price may still be in flux.
  • This is quite real, there is even an unboxing by one of the cast. While the price is quite high, it's meant to be a statement piece for "true" collectors. This WILL go down in price, it will take time. Take a look at the HP collector mega sets when they came out and then look at the price now. For 30 discs I would say ~200 is the "firesale" mark at which I'd consider it.
    TaraC73
  • For BR "collectibles" this is quite high and at least IMO would be a "statement" piece ;) just from the completeness and price factor. 10k it would need to be hand signed by cast, director and have more than it does.

For those not wanting to spend a lot and they don't care about extras the movies will be released in a ~$70 package.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited August 2016
    For that much you might as well throw in a 55 Gallon Drum of Lube:
    https://www.amazon.com/Passion-Lubes-Natural-Water-Based-Lubricant/dp/B005MR3IVO
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I think the main problem, other than, you know, spending over 100/movie, is the idea that there is still a lot of unreleased material and promised new documentaries that are kind of floating around out there. If I though this was going to be the last set, I'd probably spend 300ish on it, except I don't really care to own any of the hobbit movies.

Honestly in the past few years I've all but stopped buying physical movies, games, and music. Some notable exceptions for HBO boxed seasons, if there are some good commentary or bonus features involved, but the day I can stream commentaries and behind the scenes docs is the day I'll never buy a disc again.
    @A_Ron_Hubbard I've been slowly inching towards that also. For the past few years I've gone entirely digital on comics, music, and video games. My goal is to do the same thing for TV & movies. But some of those sets are really sexy looking and hard to give up. I don't doubt that I will be selling my single Game of Thrones sets to buy a complete series box set once the series is over.

Also, I guess I wonder how noticeable the difference is from streaming a movie in HD and watching a Blu-Ray movie. Before when internet speeds weren't as fast as they are now, Blu-Ray was the only way to get the crisp, clean visuals of a movie...now I can barely tell the difference.
  • @Garthgou81 there is still quite a difference unless you are streaming 4K then the image is closer (still cleaner on physical media). There is no lossless audio however with streaming as of yet, so if you have surround sound and a decent system pm still makes sense. Of course the size of the screen you're watching also matters. The larger the screen the more likely you are to notice the deficiencies.

@A_Ron_Hubbard they are starting to offer extras via vudu and Apple iTunes. Vudu has started offering packages that include extras.

I would agree, WB is kind of infamous for holding back for future releases. It's a shame even though this set is pretty comprehensive. The hobbit movies I could give or take, but the LOTR are my precious.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    That's a good point regarding image quality. It's hard to beat BluRay, a good player and a good TV for jaw dropping visuals. I have a bit of a tin ear for audio, so that's lost on me, but I am a complete visual whore. That said, Netflix and HBO deliver almost as good quality with a solid connection.
  • I bought the breaking Bad Barrel Blu ray. Totally worth the money as I've watched through it 3 times already and the Barrel is sweet looking. It also came with digital copies of each season as well so win/win. But now I'm mostly ITunes and "other" digital methods. I
    A_Ron_Hubbard
    @KingKobra Good to know, thats very helpful. See, I have a 32 inch Sharp LCD TV that I bought 10 years ago. So I am sure I am missing out of some amazing visuals. (Just as a sidenote, this is a fantastic TV, its served me well, but compared to what is being put out there today for 1/3 of the price--This Sharp was $1200 when I bought it back in the day--I can't wait to upgrade).

I guess its just weighing out convenience versus quality. Would I watch Iron Man with better picture/audio quality if it meant getting up to put the disc in? Or would I be happy enough to watch it stream? Or maybe it is just deciding which discs are entirely worth having on blu-ray, while others I purchase digitally. To tie this back to the original post, LotR seems like it would be a must for Blu-Ray.
  • A lot of movies are coming out with 3 piece sets.
    3D Blu ray copy
    Regular Blu Ray copy
    Digital copy
    Amazon has a ton of them. They are probably the Best value for money as you get total coverage for your viewing needs.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited August 2016
    Yea especially with the new HDR tvs out, blu-ray (if you have a player with the tech, and if the specific movie has been mastered with it) still does offer the best picture (and sound) quality. Coincidentally, LoTR is one of the sets I have bought on Blu-Ray (even though I already had the dvd set in prettier boxes).

Man, I really want to upgrade my 8+ year old tv. Maybe when 4K OLED sets comes down a bit more in price....
  • @KingKobra Good to know, thats very helpful. See, I have a 32 inch Sharp LCD TV that I bought 10 years ago. So I am sure I am missing out of some amazing visuals. (Just as a sidenote, this is a fantastic TV, its served me well, but compared to what is being put out there today for 1/3 of the price--This Sharp was $1200 when I bought it back in the day--I can't wait to upgrade).

I guess its just weighing out convenience versus quality. Would I watch Iron Man with better picture/audio quality if it meant getting up to put the disc in? Or would I be happy enough to watch it stream? Or maybe it is just deciding which discs are entirely worth having on blu-ray, while others I purchase digitally. To tie this back to the original post, LotR seems like it would be a must for Blu-Ray.

Yeah, personally I have a 60" (wish I had 65-70). Vudu is probably the one streaming service that seems to be consistently really good with their HDX streams. If you watch on a 32" you may not be able to tell the difference (depending on distance to screen).

Your dilemma is one of many folks. Of course some of us buy the PC redeem or sell the DC and or make a "copy" of that BR for easy access via a media player. For sure more work than many are willing to put in, but with a copy of the PC I don't loose and quality (audio/video) and can keep extras if I want. It allows easy access and playability via one of the many media players available which offer scrapers to display "video walls". Many people I know now though watch movies on their phones which I could never do unless there was no other option. I do understand the want/need for easy accessibility though.

LOTR is a must buy ;) (I own the extended BR versions). The extras are a treat and the audio/visual are near reference. Now if you go to forums like I do, you'll find the "problems" with one of the encodes (FOTR). Sometimes as it's said ignorance is bliss :)
  • Just some advice from a semi TV geek. If you can wait then do (purchasing a TV). Right now the HDR landscape is a fluid situation. Dynamic HDR10 (basically what Dolby Vision does) is on the near horizon and no one really knows what it will take to get that. Of course there is always the "one more thing", so if you have to jump do, but if you can hold out my advice is above :).

Back on topic:

I'd almost be tempted to buy the cheaper set of it came with the extras. With basically just the movies, I fell I can hold off for a super sale or the final big box set.
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    Wait, it's $800 and there is still MORE footage out there? For that price I'd want every single scrap of footage/film/behind the scenes/whatever that Peter Jackson has at this point. If I bought this and they later dropped the "Uber Nerd Collector's Edition" I'd be pissed!
    A_Ron_HubbardDaveyMac
  • In general I'm buying less physical media than I used to. However, I'm a sucker for extra features, great box art, cool booklets and the bump in image quality over streaming so I do still buy my favorites, especially if They get a Criterion release. The box art on those and the extras are frequently top-notch. I also love browsing dvd/blu-ray/book collections when I go over to people's houses and it's fun looking over your own collection from time to time.

And there's no way I'd pay that kind of money for any kind of box set no matter how much I liked the series. I just don't have that kind of extra cash lying around.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Is this one of those times Amazon's pricing algorithm has gone bananas? Or is that the real price everyhwere? 

It's the real official price from WB.....