[Official] Season Three Preview Cast!

Okay everybody, this is probably the #1 most requested podcast, and we're doing it. What are your thoughts, predictions, hopes, fears, etc for season three? Our preview cast will come out sometime on Friday, so if you have something to share, let it out! Our official email for the show will be "americans@baldmove.com"...

Comments

• ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Hey Guys I haven't watched all of S1 or any of S2, that said, can I jump in on S3 and just go with it?
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    You know, that's a hard question to answer. My initial though is "no", because there is just a LOT going on between the main characters. I'd say it would be roughly as hard to jump into season 3 as it would have been to jump into season 3-4 of Breaking Bad or Mad Men.

One thing you could try is reading the episode breakdowns on Wikipedia, but it's probably going to be rough keeping the characters straight in your head.
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    okay thanks, I guess I will pass then.
    haha, weren't we just talking on Facebook? ;)
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    Lol whoops hahah
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    @Elisa - It's an excellent show and only 26 episodes to catch up on, if that makes a difference. Totally worth the effort.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I hope Philip and Elizabeth bring Paige into the fold - girl needs a cause. Other than that I have no opinion. I just love everything they do on this show and I'm ready to roll with it.
    Dee, me and Jim were just discussing that over lunch. I'm not sure I'm ready for The Americans: Spy Kids, for so many reasons.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Can't wait for the new season, with the bald move touch no less.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Haha, I'm sure it will be more subtle than that!
  • colleencolleen wisconsin
    I can't wait for this to come back and you guys podcasting on it is total icing on the cake! :smiley: My hope for the season is that Phillip protects Paige and maybe convinces Elizabeth to put their family first instead of country. I would love to see that struggle between them and within themselves. Which is more important? Their family and their children or their duty to their country? I think it will be so fascinating watching them wrestle with that question this season.
  • davemcbdavemcb Melbourne
    I think the Americans is a very good show but I think this will be the season that defines whether this will become a great show. Paige has been increasingly annoying as the series has moved along not quite Dana Brody level annoying but not too far behind. Having her learn the truth might not be the best idea early in the season, I think Stan needs to get closer to finding out about the Jennings and if this comes from Paige then I'm all for it.

I cant wait for this season but based on the above I am a little cautious as well, given the strength of the first couple of seasons I am willing to give the show runners a bit more leniency then I would other shows that have mistreated its viewers
  • So glad you guys are doing this! I want more of our two leads trying to deal with the domestic side of things. The intrigue and espionage is great, but I also like to watch them trying to navigate just being normal Americans.
  • I hope the timeline makes it to 1984 so that Phillip and Elizabeth get to the point of the release of 'Red Dawn'. Henry will LOVE IT! Elizabeth will have an aneurysm. WOLVERINES!!!!

Seriously though - glad you guys are doing this - I really enjoy this show.
    I would like to get more insight into Philip and why he is still loyal to the Cause. I don't know if we will ever get a ton of backstory on Philip and Elizabeth, but I understand Elizabeth's devout ideology more than Philip's, given how conflicted he has been since the beginning of the show.

I think they have set up the conflict between Philip and Elizabeth over Paige really well. I just hope that it doesn't lead to too much of a divide between P&E, which I don't think it will -- they already did that in S1.

I also hope that they are able to bring Claudia back at some point. Apparently they work far out from production (about six months out) so Margo Martindale's show wasn't cancelled until they were well into writing S3, but they have expressed a desire to bring her back into the story.

I'm very curious to see what they do with Nina, and I'm super excited to see what Stan's subconscious does with the knowledge of Martha stealing files. Also, Martha's Chevkov's gun has to go off at some point!
  • After listening to the preview podcast, I'm just disappointed that Jim doesn't know who John Boy Walton is.

Damn I'm old.

Crap.
  • ksa1001ksa1001 Plano, TX
    Hollyoak said:

After listening to the preview podcast, I'm just disappointed that Jim doesn't know who John Boy Walton is.

Damn I'm old.

Crap.

I had no clue either. My wife just informed me after catching up.
  • I coicidentally started watching this show a few days ago because I had just heard so much good stuff about it. All of a sudden I click on baldmove.com and they are doing a podcast on season 3!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I have to watch season 2 real quick to be ready for season3. I am so glad u aaron and Jim are doing this. I love u guys!
    So let me get this straight. You think that the Soviets, who are strongly atheistic, set up a church as deep cover to bring people into christianity, only to then convert some (or possibly just one: Paige) to atheism, communism, and to the KGB? And Pastor Tim is also a pedophile? And this is after complimenting the show for creating complex Soviet characters who are not mustache-twirling villains. That is some Voldemort-level needlessly complex, inherently flawed planning on the part of the KGB. Particularly in light of the stunning debacle that was Kate and Jared.

I think the show went out of its way to portray the church as not just a positive influence but also a liberal one, which creates a more interesting conflict for Philip and Elizabeth than it would if the church were right-wing, cultish, or had KGB ties.

So let me get this straight. You think that the Soviets, who are strongly atheistic, set up a church as deep cover to bring people into christianity, only to then convert some (or possibly just one: Paige) to atheism, communism, and to the KGB? And Pastor Tim is also a pedophile? And this is after complimenting the show for creating complex Soviet characters who are not mustache-twirling villains. That is some Voldemort-level needlessly complex, inherently flawed planning on the part of the KGB. Particularly in light of the stunning debacle that was Kate and Jared.

I think the show went out of its way to portray the church as not just a positive influence but also a liberal one, which creates a more interesting conflict for Philip and Elizabeth than it would if the church were right-wing, cultish, or had KGB ties.

I totally agree with you on this point. Love Jim and A.Ron, but I was a little surprised to hear them say they would be interested in seeing such a hokey story line. The thing about the Americans that I love so much is how they try to stick to realism as much as possible. I've read articles that discussed how people in the CIA have commented on how spot on they tend to be in the show. This is not a surprise since the shows creator, Joe Weisburg, is a former CIA agent. Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/03/31/fashion/joseph-weisberg-uses-his-cia-time-in-the-americans.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0 In fact, the CIA even reviews the scripts before filming for approval. They allow him to reveal some CIA secrets from that time, but not all of them (I suppose if anything would pertain to things going on now they would disallow it). Link: http://www.cinemablend.com/television/How-CIA-Prevents-Americans-From-Divulging-Too-Many-Secrets-69252.html

Of course, there is creative license and some of it is exaggerated. For example, in one article I read it was mentioned that not nearly as many people were murdered in the name of covert activities as they depict on the show. It did happen, but was always as a last resort and rare. However, bottom line is the show is a lot closer to reality then one would think. Sometimes reality is even crazier then Hollywood. Link: http://www.vanityfair.com/vf-hollywood/the-americans-real

However, to suggest the Russians would use religion to co-opt spies for rigidly atheistic Communism is pretty convoluted. They want to win the hearts and minds of potential allies, and religion has no place in that. That is one reason why I find it completely believable that Phillip and Elizabeth would enforce atheism in their household rather than religion, whether or not that makes them "fit in" as Americans. It's simply too important and closely connected to their ideals and beliefs. Plenty of Americans are atheists or agnostic anyway, so I don't see where that would be something they have to worry about when blending into American culture. I thought the idea of Paige becoming religious was completely ingenious of the show. Here they are worried about their kids physical safety, yet they would most likely lose their daughter over this instead. It's hard to fight against something that many view as being a positive influence. Now in addition to losing Paige to the Church, they have to worry about losing her to the Center. Either way, it's going to be a rocky road this season!

edited January 2015
    Here are some more great articles discussing the show and the realism it depicts:

http://www.vulture.com/2013/04/fact-checking-the-americans-with-a-spy-expert.html

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-realistic-is-the-americans-2013-4

Like Peter Earnest points out in the second link, the main thing that stretches credulity is the amount of spying and covert activities that Phillip and Elizabeth are tasked with. Of course, that's necessary to make the show move at a fast clip. If things were done in real time with fewer things asked of them it would get a bit boring. ;) Also, it's a tad unrealistic that they would have been able to completely shed their Russian accents since they were adults when they entered the KGB.
    Pavlov and Bean, you make excellent points. Now I hate my own damn theory, are you happy now? Haha...

Pavlov and Bean, you make excellent points. Now I hate my own damn theory, are you happy now? Haha...

Aw don't feel bad A.Ron. LOL I agree with you and/or Jim 99% of the time so it's all good! :wink:
  • I completely agree with @davemcb about how they need to get Stan and the Jennings at each others throats. Its been 2 seasons since the great garage caper and its ready to go now that Stan's side of the story is all clear.
    Jim Jones said:

I completely agree with @davemcb about how they need to get Stan and the Jennings at each others throats. Its been 2 seasons since the great garage caper and its ready to go now that Stan's side of the story is all clear.

I don't know. They have to walk an extremely thin line when it comes to how much Stan suspects or knows, because a cat & mouse game is not sustainable without making either Stan, Philip, and Elizabeth (or all three) look either stupid or incompetent. And we know they are neither of those things. If and when it comes to that, I think it would have to be endgame for either Stan or the series. Personally, I find enough tension and irony having them be friends and using their marriages and personal and professional lives to mirror each other.

I would not be surprised if Paige does not find out until the season finale, and the cliffhanger is what does she do with that new knowledge.