208 - eps2.6succ3ss0r.p12

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
Written and directed by Sam Esmail

Comments

• TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    edited August 2016
    Anyone else think that most of the stuff not involving Elliot is VASTLY more compelling than his PoV thus far? His thread is interesting but only on a stylistic and visual level so far otherwise if feels like an exact retread of last season being in peril to some mid level crime boss he has to defeat before moving forward on his quest.

At least DJ Mobley is smart enough to ask for a lawyer. Never let law enforcement railroad you like that.

Also thought the easier thing to do is make Madam Executioners death look like an accident with a trip head bang fall in pool and drown although I imagine CSI types could disprove that as well. And I admit at first I thought it might've been Joanna to finally tie her into the show.

It's good to see Duck Phillips looking no worse for wear and still chasing young women executives.
    GredalBeeKingKobraDummyElisaakritenbrinkAntManBeeGarrison66tom_gHunterMelonusk
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Wow, first episode of the season that I truly loved. Not sure what everybody else thought, but yeah, that's a great one in my book. Real stakes, genuine tension, smart plays on behalf of most of the players. It's not without some reservation, but I loved it.
    ElisaKingKobraGeorgetom_gMelonusk
  • I wouldn't say vastly because I liked most of it. This episode though was one of the best of the season.

I really liked it from beginning to end (with only a hiccup here or there). Darlene showing her crazy (makeup folks get a huge thumbs up for what they did with her). She's struggling to lead without Elliot, but when pushed is as dangerous as anyone. The end with her may have just started a war.

Mobley may have had his fate signed this episode. He is much to "weak" and could be seen as a vulnerability. It wasn't until he realized that they didn't want him for the hack, but because he was marked as the DJ that he called for a lawyer. He was about to crack, but Dom said wayyyy too much.

I'm sure the speculation will be rampant about who was the one driving away. Was it Tyrell? Was it DA? Hmmmmmmmm

As some of us speculated earlier the fem2cell was cooked. It looks like phase 2 needed the same access and the DA is already in and working hard.

Darlene was getting worked (forgot about that if they showed it). Her attitude however was perfect in that she got that tail removed.

Dom for once (since the shootout) was showing cracks of sanity. Without her lollipop it seems she has a hard time keeping balance. I'm not sure if it was on purpose, but I def saw some "ticks" show up.

Looking forward to Elliot coming back and jumping into the mix
    Elisa
  • I'm not sure who was making "smart plays" this episode. After they hack the conference call, FSociety is a complete shitshow. They have no plan going forward, apparently haven't even changed the locks on their extremely risky choice of hideout, and then split up in disarray. The craziest thing is that Darlene says she doesn't trust the lower level members to refrain from coming back to the location even if she specifically tells them it's been burned. What kind of tin pot terror cell are they running? On the other hand, baseball bat.

And as for Angela, I really dont think "I have a better career than you" is a great retort to someone pointing out that you basically spat on your mother's grave for money. But Duck Phillips was awesome.
    Elisaakritenbrinktom_g
  • Yeah, that was awesome.  And it didn't require a ninja assassin either.

I liked the early look at Fsociety, like how Mobley was a complete noob falling for the phone hack.  Trenton seemed pretty aggressive too, which isn't a side we've seen much of.  Overall it's pretty remarkable how far they've come to help topple the economy.

I don't have much contextual basis, but does anyone else see Angela taking a header this season? She's burnt all her bridges and it just seems like she's at the end of her road.
    Elisa
  • BornaBorna Long Beach, CA
    20 mins in and I just noped out.  I feel like i'm watching an ordinary bs network drama series.  For as much attention to detail esmail has, this season his major plot turns have been killing me.  Kinda just slaps stuff together.  Lot of facepalming goinon here....
  • The Darlene subplot has been really good so far. I knew Susan Jacobs had to die, but I didn't know that Darlene was going to be a straight up murderer at heart. I also just have a weird feeling that the final scene with Cisco wasn't what it looks like. Granted I have no real evidence to point towards and it looks really bad, but I can't help but think that Cisco had no idea what was going on. Why also would he just leave all of that running and then go take a shower? He didn't really think a password was good enough? 

akritenbrink
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I miss Elliott when he's not there. But it was interesting to see Darlene go full psycho.

Did anyone else notice the tape they took out when they were making the fsociety video that fell behind the table? The one that was fucked up so they replaced it with a new tape? The one where Darlene took her mask off and gave a nice mugshot? I sure hope she found that tape when she cleaned the location!!
    Dummy said:

I also just have a weird feeling that the final scene with Cisco wasn't what it looks like. Granted I have no real evidence to point towards and it looks really bad, but I can't help but think that Cisco had no idea what was going on. Why also would he just leave all of that running and then go take a shower? He didn't really think a password was good enough? 

I don't think Cisco is as smart as Darlene. He might be blinded by his ego?
    Elisa

Wow, first episode of the season that I truly loved. Not sure what everybody else thought, but yeah, that's a great one in my book. Real stakes, genuine tension, smart plays on behalf of most of the players. It's not without some reservation, but I loved it.

I loved the part with Angela singing karaoke, and seeing Darlene go full psycho was interesting, but otherwise I thought It was just kind of a workhorse episode moving the plot along and setting up a new playing board for when Elliott gets out. I sort of felt bad for Trenton and Mobley but sort of not because we've never really gotten to know them and starting the episode with a flashback to their first meeting kind of set us up to know something was going down with them.
    tom_g
  • The real question is who got hit with the baseball bat? Oh sorry, wrong show.
    GeorgeThe_Third_Manalexander.klassenElisatom_gWonderedObjectDancesWithWookiesphoenixlolBlanchMelonusk
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    edited August 2016

Wait what?

I was SO CONVINCED you would hate this episode A Ron, based off of character decisions and shortsightedness. In fact, I was preparing a feedback to refute all the supposed problems with this episode.

But hearing that you liked it, nay, loved it. Sheeeet. That's something else. 
    Elisa
  • I miss Elliott when he's not there. But it was interesting to see Darlene go full psycho.

Did anyone else notice the tape they took out when they were making the fsociety video that fell behind the table? The one that was fucked up so they replaced it with a new tape? The one where Darlene took her mask off and gave a nice mugshot? I sure hope she found that tape when she cleaned the location!!

Oh I noticed that it was just carelessly thrown too ;) this just goes to show without Elliot FSociety seems to be a lot less put together. Even putting together the video seemed liked it was scotched taped. They have been making mistakes that never would have occurred, taken their main rival and brought them inside their circle, been controlled by their emotions instead of logic. Mobley saying they were burned, but really Dom only said Tyrell in their interview. He just took his paranoia to level 11. These mistakes "should" come back on them ;)
    ElisaTheEconomist
  • Dummy said:

I also just have a weird feeling that the final scene with Cisco wasn't what it looks like. Granted I have no real evidence to point towards and it looks really bad, but I can't help but think that Cisco had no idea what was going on. Why also would he just leave all of that running and then go take a shower? He didn't really think a password was good enough? 

I don't think Cisco is as smart as Darlene. He might be blinded by his ego?
    I agree, Cisco has always been portrayed (at least to me) as "sloppy" and not that smart. He's powerful, because he works with/for DA. Either way though it's not like she could do anything about phase 2. They had used her and FSociety as the pawn to do the dirty work. DA has been using FSociety to do the dirty work since season one. When Elliot was around at least most of the fingerprints were those of the people they used to get the job done.
    ElisaTheEconomist
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    I had a feeling we would get an Elliot-less episode, but I didn't expected to enjoy it so much. Watching Darlene start to make a real turn to something else. Wondering what Elliot comes home to at this point.

Sidenote: Not sure if it was mentioned or if anyone else noticed, but the subtitles translated some of that text at the end of the episode. I'm starting to think Esmail is really intentionally hiding little tidbits of info after all those inaudible lines that showed up in the subtitles last week.

Darlene stepping back and watching Susan drown to death. Elliot was getting a little too normal...Esmail had to restore imbalance to the show.
    Elisa
  • I loved that this episode has really picked up the pace of this season. However, I'm a bit torn over a few minor quibbles. This episode should have been titled, "F Society: Amateur Hour".

How the hell did Madame Executioner casually stroll into F Society's base of operations? Did they not take ANY precautions in securing their hideout?

Why were Mowgli/Trenton so torn up about killing Madame Executioner, when they have hard proof that she is literally the embodiment of what they are fighting against? Maybe this is just my armchair-viewer bias, but I would certainly have my moral/philosophical views about what needs to be done set in stone before I undertake the biggest illegal hack of the century.

Darlene seems to be the only one with a head on her shoulders. She finally picked up on the fact that the Dark Army is not their ally, and I'm glad that she domed Cisco. Hopefully Mowgli and Trenton are OK. If they are in danger, I think it would have to be from the Dark Army, seeing as how the FBI is backing off of them.

And how are Dom's teeth not rotten? Sugar pops = cavities.

I think that Elliot will come in and save the day with his mad, I33t hacking skills in the next episode or two.

Elisa
  • Hacking the establishment and killing someone are VERY different. They don't go hand in hand at all. Mobley and Trenton are hacking types only.
    Elisatom_gTheEconomistakritenbrinkclaytron5000
  • No Angela, not Duck Phillips! Run away as fast as you can!

Seriously though, great episode. Managed to build tension in a way that reminded of Breaking Bad.
    ElisaTheEconomistMelia004
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited August 2016

I loved that this episode has really picked up the pace of this season. However, I'm a bit torn over a few minor quibbles. This episode should have been titled, "F Society: Amateur Hour".

How the hell did Madame Executioner casually stroll into F Society's base of operations? Did they not take ANY precautions in securing their hideout?

Why were Mowgli/Trenton so torn up about killing Madame Executioner, when they have hard proof that she is literally the embodiment of what they are fighting against? Maybe this is just my armchair-viewer bias, but I would certainly have my moral/philosophical views about what needs to be done set in stone before I undertake the biggest illegal hack of the century.

Darlene seems to be the only one with a head on her shoulders. She finally picked up on the fact that the Dark Army is not their ally, and I'm glad that she domed Cisco. Hopefully Mowgli and Trenton are OK. If they are in danger, I think it would have to be from the Dark Army, seeing as how the FBI is backing off of them.

I think that Elliot will come in and save the day with his mad, I33t hacking skills in the next episode or two.

Depends on your definition of a head on her shoulders. I agree that before undertaking this kind of hack, you have to be all-in and ready to straight up murder a woman in her own home...but you have to be a bit off to get into the frame of mind needed to accomplish the goal they set. I think everyone else had the rational reaction to finding out what Darlene had just done. Darlene is just...different.

Only thing I take issue with is them not expecting this woman to eventually make her way back home. They shacked up at her place for a while as if she'd never come back.

Looking forward to seeing Elliot out and about again mixing in with the rest of the story he's been sort of separated from all season. I'm waiting for Mr. Robot to drop a Tyrell bomb on him before this season is done. There's so much more to the story.

Sidenote: 10/10 Signature.

Image result for wu tang is for the children stage

lol
    Elisadarwinfeeshy
  • Anyone else think that most of the stuff not involving Elliot is VASTLY more interesting than his PoV thus far?

Yes, full agreement with you here. And I wasn't left wondering as to what was real and what was delusion.

One of the things I didn't like in the episode was the scene between Angela and the plumber. It felt unnecessary. I guess it was there to somehow give insight into Angela's frame of mind. But the dialogue was just straight up bad writing. Angela's retort to one up him was a variation on a cliché dialogue part that has been done to death in previous shows and movies. And why is some small town burb, 60-year-old plumber Angela happens to know, just randomly in a Manhattan karaoke bar, "pleasing the missus" aside? The scene feels she shoehorned into the plot and false.
  • George said:

I loved that this episode has really picked up the pace of this season. However, I'm a bit torn over a few minor quibbles. This episode should have been titled, "F Society: Amateur Hour".

Depends on your definition of a head on her shoulders. I agree that before undertaking this kind of hack, you have to be all-in and ready to straight up murder a woman in her own home...but you have to be a bit off to get into the frame of mind needed to accomplish the goal they set. I think everyone else had the rational reaction to finding out what Darlene had just done. Darlene is just...different.

Only thing I take issue with is them not expecting this woman to eventually make her way back home. They shacked up at her place for a while as if she'd never come back.

Looking forward to seeing Elliot out and about again mixing in with the rest of the story he's been sort of separated from all season. I'm waiting for Mr. Robot to drop a Tyrell bomb on him before this season is done. There's so much more to the story.

Sidenote: 10/10
    I think that they knew she would eventually come home. They just weren't watching for her (they said I should have been watching the GPS). It was another point to show how sloppy they had become with the current operation. Darlene wants to be a leader and sometimes has those bright moments, but really without Elliot she is not as careful and much more erratic.

Anyone else think that most of the stuff not involving Elliot is VASTLY more interesting than his PoV thus far?

Yes, full agreement with you here. And I wasn't left wondering as to what was real and what was delusion.

One of the things I didn't like in the episode was the scene between Angela and the plumber. It felt unnecessary. I guess it was there to somehow give insight into Angela's frame of mind. But the dialogue was just straight up bad writing. Angela's retort to one up him was a variation on a cliché dialogue part that has been done to death in previous shows and movies. And why is some small town burb, 60-year-old plumber Angela happens to know, just randomly in a Manhattan karaoke bar, "pleasing the missus" aside? The scene feels she shoehorned into the plot
    and false.
    Was he a plumber for ECorp? He could just have been working a job in the city. It seems that Angela's circle often go to the city from their "small town" so I'm not sure it's too far not of the realm of possibility. While it was a "forced" character moment these types of meeting by chance happen in real life too.

George
  • Notable actors/characters missing - is this a 'bottle episode'?
    George
    edited August 2016
    @Garrison66 @KingKobra
    My reasoning for the plumber is that it's Independence Day so naturally folks from outside the city to be visiting especially if fireworks are involved earlier. Maybe He's a karaoke enthusiast. Perhaps him and Angela's father used to visit this bar and she visits in nostalgia or is a karaoke enthusiast herself. Also he could be in town bc work has dried up and Manhattan is the only place to find any. So it's not implausible to me and also television! and heightened reality so I'll roll with it.
    KingKobraElisa
  • I FUCKING LOVE DARLENE!
    What a great character, almost like a less deluded Walter White. She is singlehandedly making me wonder if Mr. Robot (as in, the show title, not the store or Christian Slater's character) is really referring to the behavioral model that Elliot and Darlene inherited from their father; like, "Elliot and Darlene are acting so Mr. Robot."

Is anyone else picking up on how emphasized Darlene's and Angela's eyelashes have been? Both of them have huge eyes looking out from underneath a mile of lash... Is this just a makeup thing I don't understand, or is this Mr. Robot shorthand for badass, ruthless female characters? Will Dom decide she has to bend rules to get anything done, and will she suddenly have mile-lashes?
    Elisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Casting certainly seems to look for large-eyed actors, but Angela and Darlene so frequently are either dead-eyed or blank-eyed that I do not find them engaging, which may be the intent. Also, Carly Chaiken's vocal fry is like nails on a chalkboard to my ears so I find her scenes painful to watch.
    alexander.klassen
    @pavlovsbell Carly's voice was perfect for her previous show Suburgatory. I find her sarcastic sardonic Valley girl voice to be an interesting contrast for a hacker as opposed to some cliche awkward mousy girl who's good at computers.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I really hate the blonde girl. I wanted the plumber to slap some sense into her clueless melon. The sister has the same clueless gaze but she seems to have a grip on things. Really didn't like the dog oven. It seems every character in this show is messed up a lot, is anyone here not on the edge. I thought the FBI agent might be alright but she messed up too.
  • edited August 2016
    I think there is an interesting theme to be explored through Angela about the social and emotional cost of pretending to abandon your values to infiltrate the 'enemy', but the writing and the acting just aren't coming together to do that.

I think there is an interesting theme to be explored through Angela about the social and emotional cost of pretending to abandon your values to infiltrate the 'enemy', but the writing and the acting just aren't coming together to do that.

I'm holding out hope that something will happen to make this make sense, but right now even Angela doesn't know what she's doing, IMO. I'm hoping that's the case, actually, because that would make her flip-floppy narrative make sense. She seems to go back and forth between her quest to get justice for her mother and her hunger to be successful. I think those are actually both part of her personality, at least how the story has been told so far. Hopefully that was intentional and not just sloppy.
    brewseveltMelonusk

Anyone else think that most of the stuff not involving Elliot is VASTLY more interesting than his PoV thus far?

Nope, not me. But I fall more on the side of being interested in the human stories going on here and not quite as interested in the hacking and politics. Mental illness is very real for those who are suffering from it. I find Elliott's process working through his mental illness one of the most interesting and unique parts of this show. 
    ryanfoster