F bombs on cable

TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
I just heard an F bomb on Tyrant on FX. Anyone else heard one on FX before on this or another show?

I know USA did one on the special season 2 premiere of Mr. Robot but has muted them since.

Now this being a "normal" episode of Tyrant on FX is interesting. is this a harbinger of things to come? Are advertisers more comfortable with more adult language? Are they testing it on a more adult oriented show with smaller ratings to then roll out later? A reason why I don't think they'll have f bombs on TWD is the audience is too large and for some reason anecdotally children watch the show. They constantly come up with nonsensical curse from chiefly Abraham which is amusing for its silliness.

Anyone not familiar with Tyrant I highly recommend it. It's very solid. Not absolute elite top tier but it's in the group on the bubble outside the GoT, BCS, and Mr. Robot type current shows.

Comments

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    I'm pretty sure People vs. OJ had a few fucks in it. FX really seems to be angling to be the HBO of basic cable. Sons of Anarchy had almost full nudity it's last season and they also had some super graphic violence as well. The Americans lit a dude in a tire on fire I don't know how that compares to most other basic cable violence but FX really seems to be cool with pushing the limit of what they show these last couple years.
    TheEconomist
  • TheEconomistTheEconomist Chattanooga, TN
    edited August 2016
    You're right. I totally forgot about The People vs OJ. Yes that show certainly pushed boundaries of language. FX is a sadly ignored gem. It has been putting out superb programming for years. I wish it would get more viewers and Emmy love. It took an embarrassing amount of time for The Americans to get more recognition by the Emmys, especially for Keri Russel's acting.
    Drew
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I never pay attention to this but Starz has been putting out a lot of edgy sexual stuff so I wouldn't be surprised if they did too.

Stars is a little different as they like HBO and showtime are not "controlled" by the ad dollars. Not sure there's really any rules for the paid services. For "basic cable" however officially they could be uncensored, but have always balked at that because advertisers won't pay. We are starting to see a shift however to more "explicit" basic cable. I think companies are starting to realize that people will watch and there are advertisers that will pay. Those "explicit" shows may be the critical aclaim "tent poles" that give that channel more eyeballs which allows them to get advertising/money in other areas.
    TheEconomistghm3Ashley
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    I never realised that American TV was so censored, perhaps because I only tend to watch the HBO shows.

After 9PM in the UK you can pretty much say anything you want, F words, C words, the whole bucket of curse words lol.
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited August 2016
    @KingKobra is right; there technically have never been any FCC regulations for swearing or whatnot on basic cable - only for network. I think channels were just traditionally conservative about it due to fears about losing advertiser revenues. But after years of HBO success and the rise of Netflix, etc they've clearly begin to change that thinking
    KingKobraTheEconomistMelonuskghm3
  • Won't somebody please think of the Children!!!???!
    KingKobraJovial_FalconBigSmellOliviaD
  • The thing is, there are groups who will distribute and photocopy letters and send them in saying "my children could have seen this" or "this is hurting my values/xyz". Those that don't care about it don't send letters in and thus the voice that's heard are the ones who are against it. If people were more vocal about not caring things may be very different.
    TheEconomist
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    edited August 2016
    Mr. Robot has had more stealth f-bombs in the first 3 episodes than Breaking Bad or Mad Men had in their entire run.  I love it, I love that they're finally calling the FCC's bluff.  We might go from a situation where HBO is killing everyone to having 12 HBOs.  I know it's not that simple, and that adult language and situations does not automatically guarantee quality writing, but this stuff just makes me think that the people worried that somehow the Golden Age of television is going to run out can sleep easy.  There are no brakes on this train.

KingKobraDrew
  • For another show that "pushes the limit" check out Animal Kingdom. I think I saw more butt in that than I have in an basic cable show ever lol. Of course USA has that on limited commercials (even so nice to have a countdown timer before the show starts up again). I for sure think that cable shows are seeing how much they can get away with before relieving the truck loads of letters from the "protection" groups.
  • Mr. Robot has had more stealth f-bombs in the first 3 episodes than Breaking Bad or Mad Men had in their entire run.  I love it, I love that they're finally calling the FCC's bluff.  We might go from a situation where HBO is killing everyone to having 12 HBOs.  I know it's not that simple, and that adult language and situations does not automatically guarantee quality writing, but this stuff just makes me think that the people worried that somehow the Golden Age of television is going to run out can sleep easy.  There are no brakes on this train.

@A_Ron_Hubbard FCC's bluff? What do you mean? The FCC has never had any control content on cable networks, they only have jurisdiction over networks that are broadcast over the air. All censorship on cable is completely done by the networks themselves to appease advertisers, and because self-policing is always in their best interest so that things don't get to the point where the government would have control over them (this is also why the MPAA exists, to prevent government regulation).
    KingKobraTheEconomist
  • edited August 2016
    amyja89 said:

I never realised that American TV was so censored, perhaps because I only tend to watch the HBO shows.

After 9PM in the UK you can pretty much say anything you want, F words, C words, the whole bucket of curse words lol.
    @amyja89 It's all self-censorship except for ones that broadcast over the air (NBC, CBS, ABC, FOX, PBS, etc.). Comedy Central has aired uncensored South Park episodes/etc. at night, though usually only late like 11PM-midnight, at their own choosing though, the only thing that really censors any cable network in the US is the threat of losing advertising. 

With premium cable like HBO, Showtime, etc, the subscriber-paying viewer is the customer, not an advertiser, so that fear is non-existent. 
    TheEconomistKingKobra
  • @ghm3 yup. The Secret Stash(not sure if it is still a thing) was 1-4 AM. Movies, Stand Up etc. It was great and I never understood how they could get away with it.

FX has been on the edge since The Shield and Nip/Tuck started in 2002. It has obviously gotten more edgey but The Shield was the first one I remember having half naked people in a lot of episodes and the violence back then was probably too much for the normal viewer.I think thats why the 1st Season got so many awards. Great show pushing the boundaries will always getthe attention
    ghm3TheEconomistKingKobra
    I forgot to put up a premium cable and FCC/censorship disclaimer. I wanted it to be more of a compare and contrast between different networks and shows.

I wonder if the critical acclaim and buzz with People vs. OJ that had boundary pushing language that allowed a show like Tyrant follow up likewise. Although I imagine the script and shooting was done before the premiere of OJ perhaps it's a top down decision from the network to allow creativity to go where it may and that is an exciting development.
    @KingKobra Animal Kingdom is on TNT. Have you heard any f bombs? I've heard asshole and shit on The Last Ship but don't think they crossed that final rubicon. But it's interesting all of these "basic cable" networks are starting to catch up to and in many cases surpass the extra package cable networks like AMC. Beginning to wonder if that nudity quota you'd hear about jokingly on HBO is real just to keep it one step ahead of competitors.

• @Jovial_Falcon Yep, someone mentioned a tire fire execution above, The Shield did that on FX way back in like 2003 or something.

AMC is an interesting animal; it seems they're willing to push the boundaries a bit as long as they don't think anyone is watching, but on their popular shows they always seem to tighten the reins. 
    Jovial_Falcon
    I wonder if this is also a dynamic shift in television programming in general. Is standing out and criminal buzz more important than the dollars from advertisements that get FF through on DVRs anyway? Are the subscription fees going to be more important than advertising dollars thus creative quality will be paramount to demand certain networks/shows for cable packages?

Also thinking about the relative death of family television. Do families with children actually sit together and watch programming together anymore or does everyone watch their own thing on a separate screen on their time? In retrospect I understand way so many shows in previous decades were so sterile and simplistic bc it was targeted for whole families. Also the rise of separate children's programming networks help contribute to this I'm sure.
  • @KingKobra Animal Kingdom is on TNT. Have you heard any f bombs? I've heard asshole and shit on The Last Ship but don't think they crossed that final rubicon. But it's interesting all of these "basic cable" networks are starting to catch up to and in many cases surpass the extra package cable networks like AMC. Beginning to wonder if that nudity quota you'd hear about jokingly on HBO is real just to keep it one step ahead of competitors.

I don't remember off the top of my head, the drug use was heavy and lots of butt (male and female) and side nudity for women. Not sure I've seen that much skin for basic cable show.

@KingKobra oh yeah I always forget Starz is a "premium channel." I don't think I've ever actually paid for it. Does anyone pay for it?

Lots of people pay for it, otherwise it wouldn't last as a channel ;) it's in 3rd/4th place as far as conent goes, but has had a few gems aired (as well as currently airing) on it.
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    ghm3 said:

Mr. Robot has had more stealth f-bombs in the first 3 episodes than Breaking Bad or Mad Men had in their entire run.  I love it, I love that they're finally calling the FCC's bluff.  We might go from a situation where HBO is killing everyone to having 12 HBOs.  I know it's not that simple, and that adult language and situations does not automatically guarantee quality writing, but this stuff just makes me think that the people worried that somehow the Golden Age of television is going to run out can sleep easy.  There are no brakes on this train.

@A_Ron_Hubbard FCC's bluff? What do you mean? The FCC has never had any control content on cable networks, they only have jurisdiction over networks that are broadcast over the air. All censorship on cable is completely done by the networks themselves to appease advertisers, and because self-policing is always in their best interest so that things don't get to the point where the government would have control over them (this is also why the MPAA exists, to prevent government regulation).

I've always been under the impression that the cable companies are basically left alone by the FCC precisely because the police themselves.  Kind of like the old "comic book authority" or the rating system the video games industry uses.  If the FCC ever though the companies weren't doing right by American sensibilities, they could step in.  I could be wrong though.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis

You're right. I totally forgot about The People vs OJ. Yes that show certainly pushed boundaries of language. FX is a sadly ignored gem. It has been putting out superb programming for years. I wish it would get more viewers and Emmy love. It took an embarrassing amount of time for The Americans to get more recognition by the Emmys, especially for Keri Russel's acting.

At the beginning of the year when OJ was on my buddy was like, man everytime I get on the Xbox you're on FX what gives, and I just had to be like dude FX is the shit it's where it's at. HBO and FX are the TV kings, FX really overtook AMC in quality and boundary pushing out of nowhere.
  • I don't think FX "overtook" AMC. Like others mentioned the Shield was doing crazy shit a decade ago. When AMC was still just airing westerns and 50 year old movies.
  • its Always Sunny's has been pretty ballsy as well and that started 11-12 years ago. 
    Jovial_FalconBigSmell
  • ghm3 said:

I've always been under the impression that the cable companies are basically left alone by the FCC precisely because the police themselves.  Kind of like the old "comic book authority" or the rating system the video games industry uses.  If the FCC ever though the companies weren't doing right by American sensibilities, they could step in.  I could be wrong though.

@A_Ron_Hubbard Ah yeah no the FCC has no power to regulate cable television, only OTA broadcasts. If they wanted to I guess they'd have to lobby congress to obtain the power to, which content providers would no doubt fight.
  • It stood out like crazy in this latest episode of Mr. Robot that the "fucks" were dropped, being that I watch it day after on Amazon, and up until now the show'd been uncensored. Regular airing on USA has been sound-dropped, right? I wonder why they changed it.
    @Melia004 I speculate that bc the premiere was limited commercial interruption with sponsors language wasn't an issue. While the more traditionally aired episodes might of followed typical standards and practices for other advertisers.
    Melia004

It seems ironic to bleep fucks in an era where we have a Presidential candidate saying things like if he shot someone in broad daylight on 5th Ave, he wouldn't lose any followers. I guess if he said he wouldn't lose any fucking followers, they couldn't play it? lol

I've been bombarded by plenty of Clinton commercials where they just bleep out Trump saying "...go fuck themselves"
  • BigSmellBigSmell Raleigh, NC
    Hatorian said:

its Always Sunny's has been pretty ballsy as well and that started 11-12 years ago. 

What if Jesus was aborted?
    Hatorian