MacGyver

There's a MacGyver reboot coming! I expect there are plans for day one coverage?

Golden age of TV, indeed!

Comments

• DeeDee Adelaide
    Oooh, any word on casting?
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    MacGyer, coming this fall, soon to be cancelled!

I predict three episodes and then cancellation.

Sorry for the snark.

I tried to watch some network TV this year and it just pales in quality to the offerings on FX, A&E, AMC, HBO, Showtime, Amazon Prime, etc.

Quantico and Blindspot are two that I tried. Often, the first one or two episodes are pretty good, but then they devolve into drawn-out, time-wasting marathons of slow moving plots and ridiculous character choices. Why can't the networks follow the British model and have a season of ten or fewer episodes?

It's because of advertising.

I know. I worked in advertising for twenty years and wrote countless TV commercials. The more episodes a show has, the more advertising dollars the network gets.

I really wonder what the future of network TV will be. Maybe MacGyver will cut through and actually be good. One can hope.
  • I'm with @Hollyoak I have people at work talking about network shows and I'm just face palming the whole time thinking "Can't you guys watch good tv?" I've completely abolished all network shows because there's really only 3 possible scenarios:
    1) The show sucks
    2) The show is ok but it's 20+ damn episodes which makes it suck
    3) The show's good but gets cancelled
  • HollyoakHollyoak Baltimore
    lol. hisdudeness.

Sometimes, if a network show looks interesting, I'll wait to see if it gets a second season. And then, if it appears on Netflix I might watch it. I did that on Agents of Shield and watched maybe two seasons. I did like it for a while. I also liked Agent Carter...but cancelled, of course.

Here is the perfect example of how spineless network TV execs are. The Duffer Bros, creators of Stranger Things, shopped the show around to networks before Netflix picked it up. They were rejected over and over. You know why? One of the reasons was because the network couldn't get their heads around a show that featured kids but was aimed at adults. The Duffer Bros said that the networks said, "Either make the show all about the detective in the town, investigating paranormal activity, or make it a show for kids."

They just don't get it. They just want more of the same, repackaged. 

LOL. These network execs are so afraid to try something new.

Oh, also. I really liked Fringe when that was on. The Vampire Diaries, for a while, at least. There are exceptions.
  • JimJim
    edited August 2016
    There's no way a MacGyver reboot can be as good and awesomely bad as the original.  The new one will lack the nostalgia of the old one and the old one is only fun to watch now because of the nostalgia.  I don't know who they're casting as MacGyver but when they get to the Murdoc seasons they have to go with Willem Dafoe.
  • Awesomely bad? I'm sure it's just as good as my 12 year old self remembers. In fact, not only should there be day 1 coverage, there should be pre-show.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • A parody podcast where you examine his gadgets would be hilarious. Probably not worth your time, but hilarious
    Doctor_Nick
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    MacGyver was a very formative part of my growing up.  Mac, Knight Rider, and Airwolf were television, as far as I was concerned.  We almost put a kid's eye out with battery acid in 3rd grade because we were trying to "MacGyver" a problem involving copper, small dc electric motors, and batteries.  I'll definitely check it out, but don't expect much.
  • Just wondering what a Macgyver in 2016 would be. Would he just pull his smart phone out and say "Wait, I have an app for this situation!!"
  • @A_Ron_Hubbard Yep, same for me. Along with the Dukes of Hazzard and the A-Team.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.