RIP Gene Wilder

GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
edited August 2016 in General

Gene Wilder death: Star of Willy Wonka dies aged 83

US actor Gene Wilder, remembered by many for his namesake role in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory, has died at the age of 83, his family confirmed.

The comic actor also starred in classic films such as The Producers, Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein.

Mr Wilder frequently collaborated with writer and director Mel Brooks as well as stand-up comedian Richard Pryor.

The two-time Oscar-nominated actor was diagnosed with non-Hodgkins lymphoma in 1989.

Mr Wilder's nephew confirmed the actor died on Sunday in Stamford, Connecticut, due to complications from Alzheimer's disease.

The star first made waves on Broadway before transitioning to the silver screen for a brief role as a kidnapped undertaker in Bonnie and Clyde (1967).

Mel Brooks then cast Mr Wilder as Leo Bloom, an anxious accountant in the 1968 comedy, The Producers.

Image copyright

In 1971, he took on the role of one of his most beloved characters, Willy Wonka, in Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory.

Mr Wilder's other well-known roles included the Waco Kid in the 1974 cult classic Blazing Saddles and Doctor Ross in Woody Allen's 1972 film, Everything You Wanted to Know About Sex* But Were Afraid to Ask.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37215553

The guy was a legend. I'll be watching Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory tonight in his honor. Such a weird movie tonally...I don't think many other people could do what he did with that role.

Comments

• amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    RIP Mr. Wilder. To my shame I'm one of the many who only really knew him as Willy Wonka, but he both delighted and terrified me as a child.
  • Very sad news. Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein, along with Wonka are among the best, and it was because of him.
  • edited August 2016
    Always the best Willy Wonka...Johnny Depp can suck it!
  • Had a fantastic career. R.I.P and thanks for the many laughs
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    edited August 2016
    Celebrate his films. On Thursday Sept 29
    On TCM. They are showing Young Frankenstein and Frisco Kid. I love Frisco Kid, a young rabbi is sent from Poland to the U.S. During the old west days. Co starring Harrison Ford. A must for.... Everyone.
    Via con dios Willy Wonka.
  • edited August 2016
    That's a huge bummer.  I remember watching an interview he gave about working with Marty Feldman and how he was extremely introverted.  He went on to say that some of the most creative people are introverted, and somehow hearing that from Gene Wilder made me feel OK about being an introvert.  Loved his work and his collaborations with Richard Pryor were the best.  RIP.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Funniest fucking movie - see no evil hear no evil

RIP
  • Oh man. That's a real bummer. Gene Wilder was a big part of my childhood. RIP.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MichelleMichelle California
    He leaves behind a legacy that will be difficult for anyone to replicate, and some pretty large shoes to fill. #ripgenewilder
  • edited September 2016
    My favorite Gene moments:

George
  • "So, Pai Mei...Tell me about that 'Three-Inch Punch."
    George
  • Natter CastNatter Cast San Francisco, CA
    Put...the candle...back...
    George
  • elgat0elgat0 Clearwater
    55 AMC theaters are screening Blazing Saddles & Willie Wonka this weekend.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/gene-wilder-willy-wonka-blazing-saddles-amc-theaters-1201850179/
    George
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Never saw Blazing Saddles. I've been on a kick of watching classic movies in theaters. This is perfect.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I feel I gotta keep the volume down when watching Blazing Saddles. That movie is way to much to have the neighbors hearing that..