Written and directed by Sam Esmail.

Comments

• Why plea guilty?
    Elisa
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    To get jump started on his "routine"?
    KingKobradarwinfeeshyElisa
    So like two more episodes to go right? Man, they need to go out with a bang or this is going down as a True Detective Season 2 sophomore slump in my opinion. Good, but nowhere near as good as the first season.
    Jujee
  • Hello Ollie?!?!?
    Elisa
    Big fan of the intro though.
    Elisa
  • tom_g said:

Why plea guilty?

The guilty plea was to go to jail on purpose. I'm guessing he used the others to implement his plan to absolve himself (if I had to go conspiracy theory).
    Elisa
  • So like two more episodes to go right? Man, they need to go out with a bang or this is going down as a True Detective Season 2 sophomore slump in my opinion. Good, but nowhere near as good as the first season.

4 episode air dates (5 total, but 12 is a double episode like episode 1). It's a tad bit early IMO to be calling this TD 2 ;) but we are all free to an opinion.
    ElisaMelonusk
  • 13 ep season. So much more to come.
    Elisa
    edited September 2016
    @KingKobra hmm, I read there were 12 episodes total and like you said the finale was 2 episodes in one (I'm calling that one episode in my head). So since tonight was ep 9, I figured there were 3 left (2 in my opinion). But hey, if there are 5, they can still blow me away I suppose.
  • No way is this season a failure imo.
    Elisa
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited September 2016

So like two more episodes to go right? Man, they need to go out with a bang or this is going down as a True Detective Season 2 sophomore slump in my opinion. Good, but nowhere near as good as the first season.

Yea but True Detective season 2 wasn't just a sophomore slump, it was objectively bad. This ain't that. I thought this episode was pretty good, last week too.
    KingKobraElisaGarrison66
  • So I sat back and enjoyed this episode. I have a feeling a lot of wtf did I hair watch posts will happen. So many bridges and not enough off ramps.

They finally explained Jail and it took about 10 minutes to go over who was who. What I DID find interesting was the Elliot's eyes were blue (same as Martin Wallström cough cough) when he was goning through intake.

He may play a "baddie" but I love each time Cristofer is on the screen. The battle of wits between Price and Whiterose was fantastic. Price is a man with nothing to really lose so he is batting for the fences.

Darlene, is Darlene, but I have to say I am enjoying her examples role. As soon as Elliot came back she seemed to calm down and be much more under control. The missing tape that came up so much last week, mentioned and sent for retrieval. Joanna showing up at the end was quite the surprise. Did she come to serve Elliot the papers (dun dun dunnnnnn) lol what did what's his name see when he went to retrieve the tape.

Angela continues her journey through confusion, anger and revenge. She is being played as a pawn and doesn't even really know it. Her intentions are there, but the game she is a part of is much much bigger.

Now with what Darlene found out about Elliot from Whoterose (phase 2 was his idea) is Elliot actually the puppet master pulling the strings. Maybe that whole series of events was to have Darlene find out about him without him telling her. Phase 1 was the 5/9 attack, Phase 2 (unknown at this time, but seems to have many tentecles).

Elliot/Mr Robot glitching all night long on top of the brown outs seemed to be tying the coming apart of Elliot and society.
    Elisa
  • @KingKobra hmm, I read there were 12 episodes total and like you said the finale was 2 episodes in one (I'm calling that one episode in my head). So since tonight was ep 9, I figured there were 3 left (2 in my opinion). But hey, if there are 5, they can still blow me away I suppose.

Y'all are too quick, was just coming back to correct. This was episode 9 of 12, so 3 episodes left 2 air dates.
    I may have jumped the gun on my TD comparison but I stand by my slump statement. Let the record show that I'm still enjoying this season.

I really hope Ray comes back.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited September 2016
    I'm thinking this season is just set up for next season which I'm going to guess will be balls to the wall. This season is better than TD2 and a lot better than most stuff on tv, slow pacing doesn't mean bad, Sam is masterfully crafting every tiny detail here and it's brilliant.
    ElisaKingKobra
  • edited September 2016
    This is like Fight Club on steroids. Who is Mr. Robot?!?!?!?!?! What has he done?! And is Elliot in on it?

I bet that the person in the smart house whimpering is Mobly (or, for Jim, Mahbly), but that is pure speculation.

Also, the music in the final scenes of the episode sounds like the intro for "How It's Made"

Drew
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited September 2016
    Mobly and the girl (unfortunately can't remember her name) are linked to that house is my guess, was there a noise because I didn't hear it my tv speakers can be shit sometime. Elliot and Dark Army are way more linked than what we've been shown it seems so maybe he is connected with the F Society murders as well. They can't keep getting away with the opening the door cliff hangers, dammit I hate having to wait a week.

I really enjoyed that intro, very cool. So I've been seeing some theories around the web that the Washington Township plant is going to have some big time travel twist to it, thoughts? I know there's been lots of theories about this show taking a hard turn into some sci fi.

I saw this posted as someone thinking there's more to the time travel theory but I don't know.
    http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/09/interview-mr-robot-season-finale-with-showrunner-sam-esmail

>'You mention losing time, and you brought up the idea of hacking time this season. The men and women who are trying to raise up and tear things down, Elliot and fsociety, they’re interested in hacking people, whereas Whiterose and Phil the CEO, the people in power, are much more interested in hacking time. It’s an interesting idea and I’m excited to see where you go with this, this idea that the true nature of power is being able to beat time.
    >[Esmail Laughs] "You’re coming dangerously close to some stuff so I’m going to have to plead the fifth right now."
    Elisa
  • • Who the fuck is Ollie? Is it an established character I'm forgetting?

• Did anyone else think that the synth keyboard plus the sounds of the train together sounded a lot like a computer handshake?

• Is Whiterose post-op? Or was it just tucked under??

• Again, what was the point of taking 7 episodes just to reveal that Elliot was imagining himself somewhere else? What would have been different if they'd simply started where they did in this episode?

• A personal gripe--I don't care what the situation happened to be, who lets a Fed walk past you into your residence and then stands there looking ready to cry? Is Angela a badass or not?
    darwinfeeshy
  • edited September 2016
    Melia004 said:

Who the fuck is Ollie? Is it an established character I'm forgetting?

Ollie is Angela's ex. The one who was given the CD by Cisco in season 1. He was also interrogated by the FBI and met with Angela and was recording their convo this season.
    Melia004 said:

A personal gripe--I don't care what the situation happened to be, who lets a Fed walk past you into your residence and then stands there looking ready to cry? Is Angela a badass or not?

Amen.
  • KingKobra said:

tom_g said:

Why plea guilty?

The guilty plea was to go to jail on purpose. I'm guessing he used the others to implement his plan to absolve himself (if I had to go conspiracy theory).

I thought to insulate himself too, but, not sure from what.
    ElisaKingKobra
  • My wild ass theory is that Elliot is Tryell. If you watch the last episode in the first season Elliot is at Tyrell's door and his wife walks up. Her facial expressions scream she knows him already, but when Elliot asks if she has seen Tyrell she is caught of guard. Notice how she did not answer his question, but instead asked who he was? Could it be she knows of his mental instability, and realized it was not Tyrell she was talking to?  I could not make out the gun Darlene put in the Popcorn machine, but could it be the same one Mr. Robot "symbolically" used again Elliot? Could this indicate that Elliot was trying to kill the Tyrell persona much like Mr. RObot tried to do with him in the 2nd season? In addition to my knowledge they never posted a picture of Tyrell on any of the news casts after the hack even though he was the "most" wanted person in the world at that point. There are also no pictures in the Tyrell Household that I recall indicating what Tyrell looks like. Throw in the fact that Tyrell was the only non-family member in the car(trunk) when Mr. Robot was trying to protect him from the beatings he was receiving, and you have some very interesting pieces that point to the fact Elliot = Tyrell = Mr. Robot. Tin Foil Hats be damned!  
    Elisa
  • Wes said:

My wild ass theory is that Elliot is Tryell. If you watch the last episode in the first season Elliot is at Tyrell's door and his wife walks up. Her facial expressions scream she knows him already, but when Elliot asks if she has seen Tyrell she is caught of guard. Notice how she did not answer his question, but instead asked who he was? Could it be she knows of his mental instability, and realized it was not Tyrell she was talking to?  I could not make out the gun Darlene put in the Popcorn machine, but could it be the same one Mr. Robot "symbolically" used again Elliot? Could this indicate that Elliot was trying to kill the Tyrell persona much like Mr. RObot tried to do with him in the 2nd season? In addition to my knowledge they never posted a picture of Tyrell on any of the news casts after the hack even though he was the "most" wanted person in the world at that point. There are also no pictures in the Tyrell Household that I recall indicating what Tyrell looks like. Throw in the fact that Tyrell was the only non-family member in the car(trunk) when Mr. Robot was trying to protect him from the beatings he was receiving, and you have some very interesting pieces that point to the fact Elliot = Tyrell = Mr. Robot. Tin Foil Hats be damned!  

I had the same thought about the season one street encounter between Elliot and Joanna, but by this point, how many people can Elliot be? This show is the strangest combination of compelling and frustrating, because I want to know what is going on, but I'm also more antsy after each episode, cynical that there will be no amazing payoff.
    Elisa
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    If Elliot is Tyrell, that would probably be the worst twist the show has done so far. As BM have said before, that would require Elliot to have a low level job at Allsafe and also to have been an exec at Evil Corp, which doesn't make sense. There is also a manhunt on for Tyrell as well, so if Elliot was Tyrell, everyone would be after him. Elliot just spent a huge time in prison, so it doesn't make sense that he would be released at all if he was Tyrell. Joanna being cryptic to Elliot just fits her character - as Elliot pointed out, she was also trying to play him for information. 

Honestly, Elliot revealing that he was Tyrell the whole time would be the worst possible outcome, and this is coming from someone who had heard about the "Elliot is an android" theory. 

Oh, and whoever said that this is like True Detective Season 2 needs to remember that that season was bad pretty much from the get-go, whereas this season is definitely a strong, compelling follow-up to the first. I don't want to judge it before the finale, but this season is up there for Top 2016 TV shows for sure.
    DrewMelia004DummyElisaMelonuskdarwinfeeshyGarrison66Doctor_Nick
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I though the first third of the episode was indulgent when it can't afford to be, the second third was alright, and the final third very good. I need to watch it again this morning, but this show dies confound my ability to rate it.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Elliot being Tyrell would be bad, way to much from season 1 wouldn't add up. Now maybe he is triggered in some way where he remembers what happened that night and he starts using Tyrell as another persona from then on, but I don't know what the benefit would be at that point.

I think maybe in the 3 days or however long he blacked out he met Joanna and that's why she's acting weird with him because she knows his name isn't really Ollie and she's just confused by that.
    Elisa
  • edited September 2016

I though the first third of the episode was indulgent when it can't afford to be, the second third was alright, and the final third very good. I need to watch it again this morning, but this show dies confound my ability to rate it.

I concur, at least as far as the confundity of the show.

This is actually where Bald Move and others are getting me to change my behavior. I have been tempted before to wait-and-binge Mr. Robot, just for the sake of not having to wait week to week, but this forum (literally and figuratively) compels me to stay up to date.
    Elisa
  • I still want to believe that the phone call Elliot received in jail was Tyrell. So that means he isn't dead and he isn't another part of Elliot. I loved this episode and the season so far, but i'll turn on this show real quick if Tyrell winds up being Elliot. 
    Drew
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited September 2016
    I hope Tyrell is somehow still alive. Tyrell has been one of my favorite characters on this show so I hope to one day reunite with Mr. Wellick , all this teasing leaves me to believe it's not as simply cut and dry as he's dead.
  • Are there any lip-readers out there that figured out what Darlene said to Elliot when she picked him up from prison and hugged him?
  • Jujee said:

Are there any lip-readers out there that figured out what Darlene said to Elliot when she picked him up from prison and hugged him?

I went to the Mr. Robot Reddit looking for the answer to that very question.
    There was no definitive answer, but there was a theory that I kind of liked.
    It's only a theory, but I'm not sure if it's appropriate to post it in this thread, and I don't know how to to the spoiler tag thing, so maybe I'll start a new thread?
    Jujee