Theory about Darlene's whisper to Elliot

April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
edited September 2016 in Mr. Robot
I went to Reddit to see if anyone knew what Darlene whispered to Elliot when she picked him up from prison and hugged him.

There wasn't a definitive answer, but a theory that I liked was presented: that what she whispered were sort of "code words" to trigger Elliot, to bring out Mr. Robot.  A sort of "Would you kindly ..."
DrewDummy

Comments

• To me it looks like she's saying " [unknown] almost everybody. We're the same, you and me."
    April_May_June
  • "Shallow Hal has a gal!"

Honestly though, I do like the "Darlene manipulating Elliot" theory. It explains a lot of gaps in their relationship at least for us, seeing as now we know Elliot can keep things from us. But seriously, how meta can this show get? Are we gonna get to the point where Elliot becomes us and everything is First Person POV so we are in control? I don't know; I really like this show (if it can maintain my interest for another two seasons, maybe I'll even love it) but I already watched lost once and swore to never watch it again but here I am falling down the same rabbit hole.

April_May_June
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I'm not even going to try to guess because I am sure some amazing lip reading Reddit people will know. But I don't read Reddit very much so can someone come back and post here when it gets figured out? KTHX haha
    April_May_June
  • April_May_JuneApril_May_June California
    edited September 2016
    @akritenbrink - I went back and looked, and nothing yet. I did find out that when watched with the Closed Captioning on, it just says "inaudible dialog". So whatever it is, we're not meant to know just yet.

Here are some bullet points that were in that thread that support the "Darlene 'triggers' Elliot" theory. (I copied and pasted, as they're much better written/articulated than I could ever be)

This is what we know.
    * A year ago Elliot was doing fine before Darlene returned to the city.
    * When she turned up at his apartment with the mask and got Elliot to put on the jacket Mr Robot emerged.
    * The hack and stuff happened, Elliot went to prison, got some time to himself, started to make peace with his multiple personalities and was doing ok.
    * Elliot gets out of prison, Darlene is waiting for him at the gate. Immediately whispers something in his ear.
    * Elliot is fucked again, losing time, "overheating", etc
    If it wasn't Darlene's whisper that broke him what was it?

@Walnut Frey - I totally understand what you mean about this show. This is the first time since LOST that I've been this into fan theories, and I've even started going down some Reddit rabbit holes. All I know is - thank goodness Reddit wasn't a thing when LOST was on!
    Elliott was already in trouble when Darlene came back. He had a rage incident and was seeing Krista for it.
    April_May_June
  • Elliott was already in trouble when Darlene came back. He had a rage incident and was seeing Krista for it.

Very true. I think what "fine" means in this context is that while he had his issues, he wasn't "let's destroy the US economy" bad until Darlene showed up.
    I'm not sure how much of this Darlene triggering Elliot theory I buy into, but I'm definitely intrigued by it.
  • Who knows how many simultaneous plans are being executed? Darlene didn't know about Phase 2, so maybe she's actually following directions given to her by Elliot/Co., but the "main" Elliot needed plausible deniability, or something to that effect. Just explain it! I don't want a DVD extra of Mr. Robot visiting the Dharma Initiative drone loading station to help us feel better :-/
    Elisa
  • Melia004 said:

Who knows how many simultaneous plans are being executed? Darlene didn't know about Phase 2, so maybe she's actually following directions given to her by Elliot/Co., but the "main" Elliot needed plausible deniability, or something to that effect. Just explain it! I don't want a DVD extra of Mr. Robot visiting the Dharma Initiative drone loading station to help us feel better :-/

I swear that if Elliot (or any character on for that matter) finds a polar bear, or Mr. Robot turns out to be the Smoke Monster, I am *out* ! Lol
    Melia004
    I assume phase 2 is Mr. Robot's idea. We know he makes plans with people that Elliott doesn't know about. He's shifty and probably just didn't tell Darlene. I think the surprise there is that Mr. Robot must have a Dark Army contact if Darlene and Cisco didn't know about it but Dark Army does.