Brews

Have we had a favorite beer thread??  If I may be so bold as to start.

image
New Belgium Brewing - Fat Tire Amber Ale.

mmmmmmmm
akritenbrinkVasilnate1
«13

Comments

  • edited September 2016
    Of the beers available year round, I've got to go with The Calling from Boulevard Brewing Company.

    *Edited to add photo, such a great looking bottle. 

     

    image
    akritenbrinkghm3
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    My favorite year round beer is Woodstock ale. Seasonal ales - shipyard Pumpkinhead and shipyard melonhead. We hoarde Pumpkinhead so we usually have it through February.
    akritenbrinkFlashGordon
  • I am a Belgian Wheat beer guy. So Blue Moon, Hoegardeen, Kronenberg 1664 Blanc. Those are my favorites. 
    ghm3FlashGordonjazzminawa
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I can't pick a favorite, but right now I'm drinking Fog Bank Fall Ale by Diamond Knot Brewery ( which is nearby where I live) and it's pretty good.
  • My favorite general mass produced domestic is probably Yuengling. I also like Full Sail Session lager & dark lager:
    image

    Green Flash Passion Fruit Kicker is surprisingly good. I generally hate 'passion fruit' anything but this is good and is just a hint of it, it's not overpowering.


    image
  • FlashGordonFlashGordon Leeds, UK
    edited September 2016
    Theakstons Old Peculier, got a lot of love for Sierra Nevada too.

    @Hatorian Love a wheat bear havn't seen  Kronenburg Blanc in years, will always get one if I do.

    A pint of Old PeculierImage result for sierra nevada beer
    TaraC73
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2016

    I'd say that my top go-tos lately are the Lagunitas Imperial Stout and Stone's Imperial Russia Stout. I've also get really excited every time that I come across Sierra Nevada's Bigfoot Barleywine Ale, but it's seasonal and incredibly rare. Great beer though if you ever come across it.

  • MichaelGMichaelG Seattle
    edited September 2016
    Cool idea for a thread.  I live in Seattle, so sort of a beer heaven of sorts.  Some of my favorite's right now:

    Country Boy IPA (Everybody's Brewing, White Salmon WA). I think half the reason I love it is just the design of the can. But it's hella tasty too.

    image

    The Descender IPA (GoodLife Brewing, Bend OR)

    Just an all-around great IPA from another great beer epicenter.

    image



    Crikey IPA (Reuben's Brews, Seattle). Flagship of one of the best new-ish breweries in Seattle. They also make a delicious pilsner, which you don't see enough of out here, but I've only seen it on draft at their tasting room.

    image

    If I'm looking for a reliable and high quality beer that isn't too expensive, I just buy a sixer of Dale's Pale Ale, which I think you can get just about anywhere these days. Sierra Pale Ale tastes like cardboard compared to these guys.

    image




    akritenbrinkTom_ATravis
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    @MichaelG I see Chuckanut Pilsner out and about a lot. 
    MichaelG
  • @FlashGordon Oh wow nearly forgot about Old Peculier, it was the first beer I tried (and got drunk off) when I first went to England. It was quite the authentic pub experience. Haven't had it in ages though, I don't think I've even seen it in other countries. Oh Yorkshire how I miss thee and your fabulous beers!
    Travis
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    edited September 2016
    image


    Sweetwater is my personal favorite. I've been meaning to try Dales Pale Ale @Michae
    Travisvoodoorat
  • Hatorian said:

    I am a Belgian Wheat beer guy. So Blue Moon, Hoegardeen, Kronenberg 1664 Blanc. Those are my favorites. 

    Hoegaarden is the only Belgium beer on that list. And in my not-so-humble opinion, it's the worst wheat beer coming out of Belgium. If you can find it, I recommend Dentergems or St. Bernardus Witbier.

    Travis
  • Bourgogne des Flandres (Brune).....

    is a special type of brown beer formed by mixed fermentation combining a selection of mixed lambic (spontaneous fermentation) and a brown beer of high fermentation and aged in oak barrels.
    Travis
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    This is my all time favorite beer.  Schlafly's Imperial Stout.  It's a limited edition, and anytime I'm in Indy when it's available I pick up as many bottles as I can afford and set them away for special occasions.  I try to get Jim a bottle to, because as far as I know, it's his favorite too.

    On the other hand, that is an incredibly heavy beer.  If I'm just drinking, I like Triton's Rail Splitter, or 3 Floyd's Dreadnaught when I can get it.  Both are IPAs.

    If I'm drinking all day, I like Bell's Two Hearted or Founder's All Day IPA.
    Travis
  • I hate beer.
  • Hollyoak said:

    I hate beer.

    communist
    ghm3TaraC73HollyoakTravistrippyAlgorecon
  • @MichaelG I see Chuckanut Pilsner out and about a lot. 

    Cool, I'll keep an eye out for it. Haven't seen that one.
    akritenbrink
  • Hatorian said:

    I am a Belgian Wheat beer guy. So Blue Moon, Hoegardeen, Kronenberg 1664 Blanc. Those are my favorites. 

    Hoegaarden is the only Belgium beer on that list. And in my not-so-humble opinion, it's the worst wheat beer coming out of Belgium. If you can find it, I recommend Dentergems or St. Bernardus Witbier.

    All 3 are Belgium wheat recipes. Not actually from Belgium. ;)
  • edited September 2016
    @Hollyoak I'm not a beer fan myself. I drink it socially because all my friends like it, but I bought a case of beer six months ago and still have about 1/4 of it in my fridge. I've always preferred liquor. 
  • My favorite beer is the Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout from Knee Deep Brewing. I don't think it's widely distributed, but if you are ever in the Northern California area, definitely worth a taste. It's a bit strong, so definitely not an everyday thing.  My go-to beer if I'm just relaxing is a Lagunitas IPA
    Travis
  • I'm not a beer drinker, but this just showed up in my Twitter TL. Flying Fish Brewing Co. describes their Exit 7 Pork Roll Porter as “dark brown, caramel porter featuring aromas of cocoa with hints of maple and smoke from the peat smoked barley. Flavors showcase chocolate, maple, toasted nuts and a bit of spice from the pork roll.” Because you can never have enough meat product in your beer.

    image
    Travis
  • MrXMrX CO
    edited September 2016
    Hard to pick one favorite, what with living in the "Napa Valley of Beer". 

    For a solid IPA Odell is hard to beat.
    image


    And for something a bit smoother and maltier, Left Hand Nitro Milk Stout is delicious (and fun to pour!).
    image

    And of course can never go wrong with a good ol' Oskar Blues Dale's Pale Ale.
    image

  • ghm3 said:

    @Hollyoak I'm not a beer fan myself. I drink it socially because all my friends like it, but I bought a case of beer six months ago and still have about 1/4 of it in my fridge. I've always preferred liquor. 

    Yeah, I have  great cocktail set-up. Right now I'm really digging Negronis, which is a cocktail consisting of gin, sweet vermouth and Campari. I also love Sazeracs. But my every day cocktail is Bourbon, usually Maker's Mark or Evan Williams.

    I did recently discover though, with the help of my brother, that it is the hops I don't like in beer. I tried a pilsner and it was a lot better than what I usually find in my hand at a party or cookout or whatever. So I think I like lighter, blonder beers? Ales?

    That hoppy skunk smell beer hurts my stomach.
  • Yeah my go-to is usually Jameson Black Barrel. 

    I've never hoppy IPAs either, though I know it's not quite a simple as hopps for me cause i've had very hoppy beer at Dogfish Head (like 110 IBU) and liked it, but dislike almost all IPAs I've had. I like Belgian and German beers.

    Tanqueray No. 10 is probably my favorite gin, but Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire are really good. I somehow have two handles of Sapphire at the moment.
  • ghm3 said:


    I've never hoppy IPAs either, though I know it's not quite a simple as hopps for me cause i've had very hoppy beer at Dogfish Head (like 110 IBU) and liked it, but dislike almost all IPAs I've had. I like Belgian and German beers.


    Mmmmm, been a long time since I've had the 90 Minute. I'll have to rectify that soon.
  • ghm3 said:

    Yeah my go-to is usually Jameson Black Barrel. 


    I've never hoppy IPAs either, though I know it's not quite a simple as hopps for me cause i've had very hoppy beer at Dogfish Head (like 110 IBU) and liked it, but dislike almost all IPAs I've had. I like Belgian and German beers.

    Tanqueray No. 10 is probably my favorite gin, but Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire are really good. I somehow have two handles of Sapphire at the moment.

    Man, if your wallet can afford it, try Hendrick's or Plymouth Gin. Pricey, but worth it. There is also a trend of high-end mixers for soda and tonic. Fever Tree is my favorite:

    http://www.fever-tree.com/our-drinks

  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    Shiner Bock fan checking in. No matter how far I stray, I always come back to the Bock.
  • edited September 2016
    Hollyoak said:

    ghm3 said:

    Yeah my go-to is usually Jameson Black Barrel. 


    I've never hoppy IPAs either, though I know it's not quite a simple as hopps for me cause i've had very hoppy beer at Dogfish Head (like 110 IBU) and liked it, but dislike almost all IPAs I've had. I like Belgian and German beers.

    Tanqueray No. 10 is probably my favorite gin, but Hendricks and Bombay Sapphire are really good. I somehow have two handles of Sapphire at the moment.

    Man, if your wallet can afford it, try Hendrick's or Plymouth Gin. Pricey, but worth it. There is also a trend of high-end mixers for soda and tonic. Fever Tree is my favorite:

    http://www.fever-tree.com/our-drinks

    @Hollyoak ;Yeah I mentioned Hendricks, I really like it. Never had Plymouth though, I must try a bottle. Those are both the same price as Tanqueray Ten though, within the same few dollars at least. I don't drink Don Draper style so I have no problem paying $35-$40 for a bottle of good liquor, because it will last me a few weeks or months, not days.

    I'll have to try some of those mixers some day, but the bottles make it look dangerously expensive for something of dubious improved quality, at least for just tonic water. But the ginger beer and bitter lemon look great, esp. that bitter lemon.
  • @Hollyoak  Have you tried the ginger beer? It sounds good but looks suspiciously light. I prefer to make my own or use the one by The Ginger People, but I'm a ginger fanatic so I like the spicy, unfiltered style.

  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I'm not sure if you can get this anywhere but there's a place called Schilling Cider in Seattle that makes a really nice ginger cider. (It's apple cider with ginger flavor). Takes away some of the sweetness of the cider and adds a nice ginger flavor.
Sign In or Register to comment.