What are you drinking?

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Red wine, beer, and brown liquors like cognac, whiskey.

But Singapore is Super expensive to drink. A bottle of Hennessy costs $90 SGD ($60 USD). Ridiculous.

If there is no alcohol in it then I pretty much drink water. Orange juice for breakfast.
    I have the occasional pop/soda but very rarely. Maybe once a month. If I do it's usually Dr Pepper or Mountain Dew.
  • I'm glad the IPA craze is finally dying off and seemingly being replaced with sours, I've never liked IPAs. I really wanna try that Ultra Violet, it looks delicious. But I'm usually drinking Jameson on the rocks or vodka soda or something. 

I like to make lemonade in the summer; fresh lemonade with a double shot of Bombay Sapphire with a Badabing cherry is extremely simple to make and quite delicious. 
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited September 2016
    I guess I'm a communist then.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I am primarily a wine drinker, but I also love sake. For spirits, it's usually vodka or single malt scotch, but usually only in cold weather because I like the smoky Islay malts. Oh, or shochu.

I definitely prefer reds, but Riesling is probably my favorite grape overall because it is so versatile.
    ghm3TravisDaveyMac
  • edited September 2016
    @pavlovsbell So you must really like Lagavulin? It's good stuff but too smokey for me, it's something I'd only drink rarely. I bet it goes really well with a cigar. I like the well-balanced Macallans.
    pavlovsbellTravis
  • @ghm3  Yep, Lagavulin is still my favorite. I've had some interesting Islays that I'm unsure how to spell, much less pronounce, but Lagavulin is dependable and readily available. I don't know about the cigar personally; in my experience it goes best in a mahogany and leather bar while it's snowing outside. Those are my favorite Lagavulin memories.

I've had some nice Macallans, as well as some pleasant Glenmorangies, but they are not my go-tos as I'm more comfortable with wine.
    ghm3
  • I've been a beer drinker for years but recently after going to a cider festival I have started drinking cider.
    Cecily
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2016

Beer typically for me. Lately, I've been grabbing various Stones and Lagunitas and for cost Trader Joes has a pretty decent line (Boatswain?) at a very reasonable cost. I go to the bowling alley a couple of nights a week for leagues and therefore I've ended up mixing in some Total Domination and Firestone's Union Jack. The problem for me is that I like really stout-y beers with a whole lot of bite so I end up being a little finicky.

I like wine well enough, but I really only drink it when we go out tasting. I also generally to stay away from the hard stuff because it can feel a little unsatisfying in volume, (a glass of beer vs a couple of fingers of scotch), but I really like scotches and bourbons. I'm also a big fan of those fruity rum based drinks that only Chinese food restaurants can seem to get right. A few years back, my wife and I used to live right down the street from a great spot and went there almost every Friday night. Great stuff.

• TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2016
    If you like milkshakes and have a good blender (we love our Vitamix) grab some vanilla ice cream, heaping shots of bourbon and baileys (tablespoon of nutella optional) and blend away. Good shit!
    pavlovsbellghm3
  • @pavlovsbell I like wine a lot but I don't even have a definite favorite type other than just generally preferring red, my default go-to is probably cab, but most of it is good to me. It's always interesting when I like $8-$15 bottles more than stuff that's three times as expensive, it seems to happen a lot for me with wine especially for some reason. 
    pavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited September 2016
    Travis said:

If you like milkshakes and have a good blender (we love our Vitamix) grab some vanilla ice cream, heaping shots of bourbon and baileys (tablespoon of nutella optional) and blend away. Good shit!

Baileys and kahlua milkshakes are pretty tasty. Haagen Dazs makes a yummy Baileys ice cream. Basically, Baileys is pretty dope.

I'm not a gin fan, but I do like the less herbal/medicinal, more cucumbery Hendricks. A Hendricks gin & tonic with paper thin cucumbers is a good summery drink. So is a calpico-yuzu cocktail made with shochu. Calpico is a lemony, fermented milk drink that any Asian store should stock.

@ghm3  Price is not a reliable indicator of quality for wine. Any decent sommelier would advise you to avoid the lowest and highest priced wines on a list and go for the mid-range, but if you're flying blind in a store, it can be a crap shoot. I've had plenty of delicious wines for $15 (retail). My favorite reds are: 

1. Côtes du Rhône: versatile and hard to go wrong (even if it's not a great CdR, it's still likely a decent wine)
    2. Tempranillo/Rioja: affordable and easy to find
    3. Pinot Noir: that stupid Sideways film made this popular and overpriced. It's not easy to find a good, affordable pinot now but good ones are sublime. 

ghm3Travis
  • @pavlovsbell Thanks for the heads up on the Haagen Daz Bailey's ice cream. I hadn't heard of that, but it's definitely going to be on my next shopping list. Sounds fantastic! They make great ice cream. I haven't mixed Kahlua and Baileys before, but we did basically the same set up with Kahlua and Brandy a ways back and it turned out really nicely. I love the whole "grown up milkshake" thing quite a bit.

pavlovsbell
  • edited September 2016
    @Travis I have a pretty badass Blendtec blender, I must put it to use with delicious liquor shakes. 

@pavlovsbell ;I am NOT DRINKING ANY FUCKING MERLOT! Haha yeah I remember liking that movie okay but it's been ages, that line is really all I remember of it. 

Yeah price not relating to quality for wine was apparent to me shortly after I dabbled into it, it's kinda weird. Liquor can be like that too but it's not all over the place like it is with wine. That is, I've had $8 bottles of wine that I've liked more than $80 bottles, but there really is no liquor for $15 that will hold a candle to a $150 bottle. The difference there seems to be just preference of various flavors, with comparable quality within loose price ranges. It would seem that distilling is more of a sciene, and wine a bit more of a crapshoot.

I travel a lot and I always like seeing $10-$20 bottles listed for $80-$100+ in hotel room service menu, highway robbery. I don't know that I've ever had a Côtes du Rhône, gotta try it. The other two are good stuff. I like a good shiraz, I'm pretty sure they used to actually be Iranian as the name would suggest but I guess it's called Syrah now or whatever.
    Travispavlovsbell
  • I don't always drink wine, but when I do, I drink 2 buck chuck. Because I'm poor.
    Travis
  • ghm3 said:

@Travis I have a pretty badass Blendtec blender, I must put it to use with delicious liquor shakes. 

Awesome! I hope they work for you. We've liked them quite a bit. For what it's worth, I think it's ~ a cup of ice cream per round of shots for the ratio. Enjoy!
  • @ghm3  Oh yes, the markup is obscene. But like how cinemas derive their profits from concessions, restaurants derive the majority of their profits from alcohol sales (although this is more true of higher end restaurants).

Syrah is the name of the grape, but they call it shiraz down under. I'm aware of Iranian city Shiraz that once produced wine, so maybe that's how Australians dubbed it that. I love Australian slang. I recently learned "gobby" and "gobby face" from watching Ozzy Man's GoT youtube videos. Good stuff.
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    I'm on a personal anti-ale crusade. I like beer not some fruity goo. I have regressed to the most basic. Every so often I'll drink a nice lager.
    I like to think of my self as a drink minimalist. Scotch & soda, gin and tonic if I get crazy 7&7.
  • @akritenbrink Yeah I've only very rarely bought bottles of wine over $50 or so, but I've had several expensive bottles at work dinners and such. My goal is to get a free Macallan 25 some day...

I almost always buy wine in the $8-$15 range, and occasionally get something in the $30 range. Sometimes when I'm traveling I'll get a $35-$40 bottle but I'm usually splitting it with someone, and it's only that price because hotel rape, it's really a $12 bottle.

Embassy Suites is the best hotel chain ever, during the free happy hours I'll double fist cabs or vodka sodas, with a bit of dedication I can hammer 8-10 drinks in the 2 hours it's open and it only costs like $10 in tips, it's brilliant.
    pavlovsbell
  • LyDLyD Buffalo NY
    Gin first but always Guinness.
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    The beverage of champions:
    HatorianDaveyMac
  • My two favorites right now are Southern Comfort & Mountain Dew and Jack Daniels Fire and Coke