How did you get into Bald Move?

For me it was the tail end of Breaking Bad when I was gobbling up anything I could find about the show. That led me to Walking Dead and House of Cards. I was hooked after hearing the insightful and sometimes ridiculous instant casts during their weekend marathon trying to cover the second season of HoC.

How about yall?
MichaelG

Comments

• I can never remember exactly but it had to be GoT.

Because I remember ARon and Mad Brew discussing some guy named Jim and then later some guy named Jim filled in for MB and I was thinking "who the hell is this guy?"
    Melia004GeorgeAntManBeejluzaniaJim
  • Breaking Bad and Walking Dead. 
  • For me it was House of Cards. That marathon was intense, haha.
    AntManBee
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Fargo. The most recent season. Wish I had found them sooner. Would've loved to have gotten a Christmas card and/or sent them one. 
  • The Night's Watch /GOT Season 2 I think. I never actually heard of Bald Move until that podcast ceased to exist and the logo changed/ show change announcement hit the stream. 

I watched Breaking Bad as it aired from the very beginning but I never thought to look for a podcast about it back then.
  • Breaking Bad season 4 for me. I had just marathoned 1-3 of the show and season 4 started the next day. I had never even thought to look for podcasts on tv shows, but now I'm hooked on it. I don't even want to watch a drama where I can't find some in-depth analysis of it somewhere. 
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • I think it was Justified.  I definitely listened to the season 6 podcast in real time, maybe a few GoT podcasts around that time as well.  Listened to True Detective Season 1 also, but I don't think I watched TD in real time.  
  • It was Mad Men for me, which led to Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones, House of Cards, American Horror Story, Orange Is the New Black ... lol, apparently I watch a lot of TV and listen to a lot of podcasts.
    I wasn't here for the Mad Brew days
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I used to listen to Breaking Bad Edition from a podcast network called Behind the Cutting Edge and I'm pretty sure I heard about Bald Move from them during their season 4 coverage when podcasts were still not huge for BB. I didn't listen because I was stuck in my routine of sticking with what I like, then during one of the big moments of BB season 4 I was so starved for discussion and so I started with the BM guys.

Discovering they were from Indianapolis really got me into them as a sort of hometown boys do good. Got into the Mad Men show since there were none I enjoyed, after that it just kept cascading. I'm a big fan of these guys and have dropped so many other shows just to go BM exclusively for the most part, no one matches their quality IMO.
  • Tyler_DurdenTyler_Durden London
    edited September 2016
    The first season of True Detective. I was hooked by the show and being a fan of sports podcasts I was deeply enough into the TV show to actively seek out reviews of it. I listened to a few but Jim and A Ron were very clearly more in tune with what I want to hear. I carried on with them to listen to Walking Dead and Game of Thrones podcasts, heard their comments regarding independent podcasting and was so appalled when I heard an AfterBuzz podcast (for Gotham.....sadly the Bald Move one had to go away) that I thought I need to become a member and support these guys in a small way as I'm invested in wanting them to be able to carry on as their products are so much more superior across the board than other pods. I know the guys will hate reading all these platitudes so I feel I should end this with something derogatory. Erm, you both smell.
  • I don't remember if it was Mad Men or Breaking Bad first. I think it was BrBa because I seem to remember some trash talk about some dude dubbed The Evil David Chen ;) and it piqued my curiosity.
    z74al
  • Breaking Bad lust led me to find any podcast I could, and Bald Move stood out, especially in contrast to Afterbuzz, which BTW @akritenbrink, I would have to call the worst podcast, for any show they cover :)
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited September 2016
    S2 of The Walking Dead, way back nearly 5 years ago I think? I was only dimly aware of what podcasts were and I stumbled on Watching Dead looking for episodes of TWD on iTunes. I was instantly hooked.
    Cecily
  • DanielDaniel Bangor, Maine
    I think I started listening with Breaking Bad season 4. I tried a few podcasts and stuck with Bald Move because I loved the style and the chemistry between the hosts. I think they still had full time jobs at that point, so they only covered Breaking Bad and Mad Men. Actually, wasn't there a Jersey Shore cast too? I never listened so it might have had different hosts.
  • walking dead and i was impressed but i ponied up as a subscriber with the leftovers.
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA

I know it was during the mid-season break of S4 of The Walking Dead. I have no idea how I found them, but A-Ron's pronunciation of "Martinez" was so intriguing/amusing, I went back and listened to the previous three seasons, lol. And when I discovered they covered Mad Men too (and their casts were wonderfully insightful), I was hooked. I listened to all the Breaking Bad casts, and pretty much everything else ever since.

AntManBeejluzania
  • I'm pretty sure it was GoT season 4 for me. I remember I was listening to like 4-5 different GoT pods and kept getting rid of one's that weren't as good as Jim and A.Ron and low and behold, they were the last one standing.
  • My wife somehow discovered Bald Move while season 3 of GoT was on and she got me to listen to it and then I was hooked.

• I was binge watching the first seasons of Breaking Bad, shortly before the beginning of the last season.  I was jonesing for something ANYTHING about it and came across this website.  I listened to the podcasts and then was hooked.  Shortly after I saw they did a podcast on the Walking Dead, and FINALLY someone was calling out the BS I've been thinking for so long!  Rest is history.
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    I'm not sure if it was Thrones or Breaking bad. I got into Breaking Bad just before the third season. The Breaking Bad podcast was amazing. I was a rookie when it came to cinematography and understanding the intention that comes with a lot of shows like Breaking Bad who pay attention to the visual so much.

I remember distinctly you guys explaining the final shot of Crawl Space.

BREAKING BAD SPOILERS AHEAD

Image result for breaking bad crawl space

I never really was into looking deeper into television and film like this, but hearing the guys speak about the meaning of that shot and how Walt is kind of boxed in and trapped after he realizes that the money that was supposed to save he and his families life was gone.

Now I can't get enough of cinematography. I'm the annoying boyfriend who forces my girlfriend to sit through a rewind or an explanation of what that last shot could mean. Or hey, did you catch that single shot?! I don't know how she puts up with me sometimes lol.

So thank you guys for helping make me an annoying person to watch a movie with.
  • I'd just finished watching Breaking Bad for the first time (this was sometime late in the summer of 2014) and was reading up on a bunch of stuff about the show. I was on the Heisenberg Chronicles tumblr and came across a link to one of Bald Move's season 1 rewatch podcasts. I listened to their casts, and then just started getting into a bunch of the other shows they covered. I've seen so much great TV I wouldn't have thought to watch otherwise because of this, and started thinking about TV a lot more analytically and critically as well. A whole 2 years later, with the exceptions of shows I didn't have enough time to catch up on (like Orange Is the New Black) and shows I just wasn't interested in at all (like American Horror Story), I still follow pretty much every show they cover on here.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA

Oh man, I wasn't here for that, but David Chen hosts a GoT podcast with Joanna Robinson and it's the worst!

I would definitely like that show more if Chen wasn't involved. He comes off as irritating and snobby. Most of the time i just want Joanna to be talking. I am probably in the minority, but it is what it is.
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    I really wasn't a fan of Chen at first, he did come off as a bit snobby, but I look forward to the /Film Podcast. A few other personalities in the room make a big difference.

I actually started listening to the Fargo podcast before I watched the show because I was eager for more content. Glad I did because I got into the show because of their podcast and it's one of my favorites now.

They also convinced me to give The Leftovers another chance after I lost interest in season 1.
  • Started with Breaking Bad. Too few of my friends / co-workers were watching it at the time. Bald Move filled the void.  No idea how I found it.
  • Breaking Bad
  • LyDLyD Buffalo NY
    GoT S5, halfway through. Found Baldmove on iTunes. BEST GoT podcast! Knowledge, history, humor.... you guys rock and LOVE the feel of the show since Jim joined the spoiler sections. HATE that I found it so late! Dying to find out what you decide on the GoTs rewatch time frame (hint: pls continue right into seasons two and three). Also, ARon, your voice is sexy!
    Cecily
  • Tyler_DurdenTyler_Durden London
    edited September 2016

Oh man, I wasn't here for that, but David Chen hosts a GoT podcast with Joanna Robinson and it's the worst!

I would definitely like that show more if Chen wasn't involved. He comes off as irritating and snobby. Most of the time i just want Joanna to be talking. I am probably in the minority, but it is what it is.
    Joanna is very smart, but she started seeming to me like she was a kind of "book reader snob" and I find that annoying. And then Chen would just sit there and take it lol
    For the latest season she became insufferable. Completely unlistenable, which was a shame for me as I loved her work in the past both in print and pod forms. Maybe it was to do with no longer being "ahead of the curve" but I think I was also put off the constant need to use today's sensibilities in critiquing a show with a medieval bent. A little of that, fine, a lot of that, goodbye!
    kingbee67hisdudeness915