Atlanta on FX

So, what did everyone think?  I was surprised that it wasn't as funny as I thought it was going to be, although it is sneaky funny.  I was also surprised given it's more dramatic nature, that it seems conceived as a 30 minute series?

Other than that, seems like a quality project.  Now that I've seen the hook, I'm really hoping we get some great original music out of it, too.
MurderbearElisaTom_AKingKobrapavlovsbell

Comments

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    edited September 2016
    I enjoyed it. I found it pretty funny, specifically the friend Darius, but also pretty realistic especially his time in hold up and witnessing the other inmate as some form of "entertainment". It was actually pretty sad watching that scene. Mr Childish Gambino seems to have something nice going on here

Best of all, the return of this man. 

MurderbearElisahypergenesbKingKobrapavlovsbellDummyA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Based on Sepinwall's review I expected it to be pretty dramatic, so I was surprised by how funny it was. We even got some "Troy" moments from Donald Glover. Overall, I really enjoyed it and will definitely keep watching it.
    Elisapavlovsbell
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I really really liked it. I've been a huge Donald Glover/Childish Gambino fan for a long time so I've been waiting on this one for a while. I don't want to go too crazy since it was only the first two episodes so far but I like that it has something to say. Especially the bits where he was waiting to be processed in the jail.

And I knew with Donglover being involved, it wouldn't just be a straight ahead story. I like the intrigue at the beginning with the dog and then later the Nutella sandwich man. I wonder what's going on there.
    ElisaDrewpavlovsbell

Other than that, seems like a quality project.  Now that I've seen the hook, I'm really hoping we get some great original music out of it, too.

I was thinking the same thing. I would definitely love to see a soundtrack put out.
    Elisa
  • hisdudeness915hisdudeness915 Atlanta, Ga
    edited September 2016
    I felt obligated to watch since I'm Atlanta born and bred. It made me laugh a few times and had some thought-provoking moments as well. Hard to say after just 2 episodes but I'm definitely gonna stick with it for a bit to see how it goes.

Side note: I watched it on demand and not when originally aired but I guess FX is all in on the F bombs. I swear they were double digits in these 2 episodes. Not sure if they were stealth during the live airing or not
    pavlovsbellhypergenesb
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Very good! I'm a big Gambino/DG fan so I'm in on anything he does, which is good since everything he does is great. I was expecting this show to be a vehicle for more Childish Gambino music but it seems so far it's other artists.

I really enjoyed the jail episode, had some good humor as well as some pretty sobering messaging and it really mixed well.
    GeorgepavlovsbellElisa
  • Gambino is planning on releasing a an album/compilation along with the show I believe. 

I've got it on my DVR. Excited to see it. 
    DrewA_Ron_Hubbard
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I really, really enjoyed it. I had only seen like one preview, so I had no idea what to expect. But it definitely is added to my weekly to-watch list.
    pavlovsbellElisa
  • For sure a Dramady, but I really enjoyed it. I LOLd at a number of parts. Enough drama to intertwine social commentary and enough comedy to take the heaviness out of it. Season Pass has been set.
    pavlovsbellElisa
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    I loved it. The guy who directed it also directed a few of his best videos. The dude has an eye.

I'm wondering about the constraints of 30 minutes for something that seems as sprawling as far as what it has to say. I suppose I'll see next week when it isn't a double episode.

All in all great start. Funny, witty, smart and well shot. Looking forward to this being a regular part of my rotation.
    Elisa
  • Quite the confident debut -- I loved it. I was expecting to love Donald Glover and the writing, but I was most surprised by the direction and cinematography, really lovely, and the mood was rather dreamlike in the first episode which helped with the languid pace of the second episode. I really liked the surreal / eerie moments like the man on the bus (and that heartbreaking monologue about losing) and the dude in the Batman mask.

As @KingKobra alluded, the social commentary felt authentic but not preachy. As for the F-bombs, just like with The People vs. OJ, I don't even notice F-bombs, but I damn sure notice when white people say the N-word. It's like a record scratch.
    ElisaMurderbearhypergenesb
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    @pavlovsbell So I stumbled into the episode about halfway through. Right when Earn tried to get Griffin to tell the story again. I had no clue what was going on and why the story fell as flat as it did. I rewound back and watched the episode in full. It almost made his initial N-drop even more shocking. Dramatic tension and all.
  • I'm really digging this show so far. The scene in prison where he's between the guy and his ex girlfriend had me dying. The show is definitely more serious than I thought but I like that about it. It gave me some serious Louie vibes, with DG playing the straight man to the almost absurdist comedy unfolding around him. This is a comedy with a serious enough tone and possible story arc that you guys could conceivably cover it in a podcast (if you're into it).

Also, pretty much every scene with paper boi was next level funny

imageimage
    Elisa
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA

I agree with everyone, it was a great debut. The tone definitely reminded me of Louie, but with more laugh out loud moments. Loved Darius and Paper Boi, but I also dug Earn's straight man persona. And seeing Atlanta the way I know it - not the Hollywood version in all the movies nowadays - adds another layer for me. I love that FX is bold enough to be so uncensored.

I go back and forth on how I feel about Donald Glover, but I've been excited about this for a while, and I'm glad it lived up to what I'd hoped so far.

Elisahisdudeness915aberry89AmbitiousBukky
  • Great show. Donald has him one with this. 
  • I thought the lemon pepper chicken / real rap scene was the funniest of the two episodes. The way they shot the opening of the box like the box in Pulp Fiction. Hilarious.
    mileswarrin
  • I've seen the first 2 eps four times now. Great performances (Paper Boi and his buddy are so good), clever writing, solid direction. All in on this show.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited September 2016
    Really, really enjoyed it. Cannot wait for more. Been a Donald fan since the moment I saw him way, way back..

I think I laughed the hardest when Darius gets told that he can't measure Ernst's dad's tree right now, and he just grumbles under his breath, "that basically means no..."  I don't know why, but just his genuine disappointment in not getting to measure that tree was really funny and endearing. 
    MurderbearElisahypergenesb
    @A_Ron_Hubbard I finally listened to last week's On The Rocks and heard all your love for Danny, I mean DONALD Glover. Have you seen Mystery Team? It's a movie he did with his comedy team fairly early in his career. It's super dumb but very endearing and I just really love it. If I had the money, I'd consider commissioning it. Being a big fan of his though, I'd definitely recommend it.
    hypergenesbDrew
  • Tom_ATom_A Carcosa
    edited September 2016
    Migos!

Quavo really shot that dude with sunglasses on at night lol. 

But really this show does a great job of portraying Atlanta and splitting time between the jokes and character moments. Donald Glover crushes it as his character. So many funny moments with him too. 

So when are we getting more of the guy with the dog? 

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    @Murderbear Mystery Team is a fun movie for sure, any fan of DGLover should check it out
    Murderbear
  • Tom_A said:

Migos!

But really this show does a great job of portraying Atlanta and splitting time between the jokes and character moments. Donald Glover crushes it as his character. So many funny moments with him too. 

Yeah, no one has mentioned the guy with the dog! The same dog that was tied up that made Darius experience Deja Vu. Was he real...Why did he just walk into the woods???
  • That part with the disturbed person, Lee, in the police station just made me really sad.  So spot on. 
    MurderbearDrew
  • Excellent 3rd episode. This show so far is doing a really good job of mixing the comedy and drama of the story. You may not "get" everything referenced, but I think most people could relate to the actual overarching story that is occurring (chasing a dream).
  • Posted this on the stranger things board but just for synergy's sake: For all you fans of both Stranger Things and Childish Gambino/Donald Glover's music, some dj did a fucking awesome mashup of the CG song and Bonfire
    Murderbearaberry89
  • aberry89 said:

Tom_A said:

Migos!

Yeah, no one has mentioned the guy with the dog! The same dog that was tied up that made Darius experience Deja Vu. Was he real...Why did he just walk into the woods???
    The only logical explination is that he's the King of the Forest and making sure his bush isn't taken.

• @aberry89

The thing going for him being real was the bottle of whatever it was he put on the bread still on the bus when the guy walked out.

That guy looked very much like someone in the Nation of Islam.  Was he supposed to be an archetype of an angry black man for Earn?
    aberry89
  • edited September 2016
    @Doctor_Nick

I was really hoping someone would have a hot take on the Nation of Islam guy.

Glover loves to add the surreal into his work (see his short film for more evidence) to add a layer of obvious symbolism to hide the more subtle stuff.

Here's my best guess. I hope someone has something better.

I was thinking the Nation of Islam guy was just giving Earn quasi spiritual platitudes that sound profound but are pointless.

I took it as glover's indictment on spirituality and a takedown on the idea that a person can free themselves from a difficult situation (poverty in this case) through "giving in to the will of the universe." (The guy says something to the affect of 'like a twig caught in the current.')

I took the fact that Glover wouldn't eat the sandwich as his "not drinking the cool aid."

By the way, the stuff he was putting on the sandwich was Nutella, which is basically chocolate.

To Carry out the metaphor, the sandwich appeared to have nourishment but was just a sweet enticement away from what Glover actually wanted. Just as what the guy was saying, the sandwich was empty calories that would have left Earn unsatisfied and still searching.

Hell it could have just been weird for the sake of weird. Like the guy in the Batman mask who came to PaperBoi's door. No clue about that.
    MurderbearDoctor_Nickaberry89Elisa