Atlanta on FX

Comments

• MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    edited September 2016

Glover loves to add the surreal into his work (see his short film for more evidence) to add a layer of obvious symbolism to hide the more subtle stuff.

Indeed. I wondered if that first conversation he had with his baby momma was a nod to that stuff. When he said he had a dream he was drowning in a pool, it made me immediately think of "The Boy" from that short film and his album Because The Internet. Pretty sure that's how he met his end. Could be a coincidence but I bet it's not. He's always putting little clues in his stuff.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Good news, it was just renewed for a second season
    aberry89hisdudeness915Elisa
  • That's one hell of a hot take! I like it. 

And hey! Nutella is chocolate AND hazelnut so there is some substance to..it.....yeah no it's just sweet stuff. :)

I feel that was a tiny clue that was dropped in the beginning of the season and will be peppered throughout. The fact that Darius noticed the dog and felt like he had seen it before, right before that guy got shot has to be significant for a reason. 

• @aberry89 ;

I love the Darius character. He sits in this beautiful little spot of comic relief/profound sage, as every comment could go either way depending on your take on it.

I'll need to see more episodes, but I'm not sure if Darius' deja vu was literal or more a statement on how common violence is in his world. 
    It's also important to note that we, the audience, get our own deja vu when we see the shooting twice, but I doubt Darius' comment could have been about us, how this will all play out again. 

I have always liked Glover as a writer (see Mystery Team, the Derek Comedy stuff or any of his music), but I was blown away by his skill to create this world. It was so good. Can't wait to see more. 
  • Darius has a very Shakespearean fool vibe.  
    Elisa
  • I think I fall in love with this show a little bit more each week. I especially loved the fourth episode. Each Atlanta episode feels like a bite of something that appears ethereal but stays with you. I'm reminded of these Earl Grey chocolates that I love -- and I don't especially like chocolate, I know, I'm weird -- but I eat only one, and it's perfect and the flavor lingers tantalizingly. Darius and Earn's trade journey could have just been another slice of life, but it ended with Earn expressing the frustrations of poverty while realizing that he's not as sharp as he thinks (and he wants to be a manager?), and Darius thoughtfully musing that they're friends. I find myself rewinding Darius moments because Lakeith Stanfield's performance is charming and understated, and I miss tiny nuances here and there. These episodes are paced beautifully. They end, and I want more yet I also don't. (Always leave 'em wanting more is what I was taught.)

ElisaAshley
  • Darius has a very Shakespearean fool vibe.  

Damn, that's a pretty interesting comparison. hadn't thought about it. 

Glover loves to add the surreal into his work (see his short film for more evidence) to add a layer of obvious symbolism to hide the more subtle stuff.

Indeed. I wondered if that first conversation he had with his baby momma was a nod to that stuff. When he said he had a dream he was drowning in a pool, it made me immediately think of "The Boy" from that short film and his album Because The Internet. Pretty sure that's how he met his end. Could be a coincidence but I bet it's not. He's always putting little clues in his stuff.
    I forgot about that opening dream and that sketch. That surreal edge makes all of his stuff fascinating. Like the videos for Sober and Sweatpants bring it too. It's interesting because the main director of Atlanta did all of his videos. 
  • broompersonbroomperson the Iron Islands
    The best representation of social media and the social media era in general in episode 3. Loving this show.
    Elisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited September 2016
    Fun fact: The Cane Corso in this episode seemed like a big, lovable puppy, but the ones used on Game of Thrones were so vicious that actors were instructed to not make eye contact with them or make any big or sudden movements, and that scene was filmed at a distance then fused in post. 
    MurderbearKingKobra
  • Fun fact: The Cane Corso in this episode seemed like a big, lovable puppy, but the ones used on Game of Thrones were so vicious that actors were instructed to not make eye contact with them or make any big or sudden movements, and that scene was filmed at a distance then fused in post. 

It seemed like a scary big ass dog with a gaping maw to me, no matter how cuddly it might be acting at the moment.   
    Elisapavlovsbell
  • Fun fact: The Cane Corso in this episode seemed like a big, lovable puppy, but the ones used on Game of Thrones were so vicious that actors were instructed to not make eye contact with them or make any big or sudden movements, and that scene was filmed at a distance then fused in post. 

It seemed like a scary big ass dog with a gaping maw to me, no matter how cuddly it might be acting at the moment.   
    Aw, I have a soft spot for mastiffs. Having been around English mastiffs that were taller than me when standing on their hind legs, this dog didn't look so big.

As someone who is ethnically ambiguous, I was tickled by the mystification of Zan's ethnicity but mildly annoyed that no one asked. It made me wonder if that is realistic and if so, why? Because my experience has been, infuriatingly, the opposite.
    KingKobra
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles

As someone who is ethnically ambiguous, I was tickled by the mystification of Zan's ethnicity but mildly annoyed that no one asked. It made me wonder if that is realistic and if so, why? Because my experience has been, infuriatingly, the opposite.

I think Darius asked if Zan was Chinese.
  • Elisa said:

I think Darius asked if Zan was Chinese.
    Darius asked Earn. Everyone but Earn was questioning Zan's ethnicity but not to his face, IIRC. In my experience, strangers think that it is a perfectly valid and not rude question to ask me. Maybe I'm sensitive or just annoyed by the frequency, but I would never ask a stranger what their ethnicity is.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles

Elisa said:
    Darius asked Earn. Everyone but Earn was questioning Zan's ethnicity but not to his face, IIRC. In my experience, strangers think that it is a perfectly valid and not rude question to ask me. Maybe I'm sensitive or just annoyed by the frequency, but I would never ask a stranger what their ethnicity is.
    Oh I totally agree.
    pavlovsbell
  • Didn't they ask Zan if he was even black outside the club?
    Elisa
  • Didn't they ask Zan if he was even black outside the club?

You're right, Paper Boi did. I forgot about that. The context for that was Zan's appropriation of the N word. I don't think it's the same thing because Zan is inviting the question by being a troll. Paper Boi is doubtful and is still wondering about it later, "I mean, is he Dominican, man, like...?"
    Elisa
  • Episodes just keep getting better and better. It's painful how short they are though!!

Probably because of the the social media storyline, but this episode and it's humor reminded me so much of Silicon Valley. I loved how they gave Zan a scene to argue his point, even if I ended up cringing throughout most of it. 

Sidenote - Darius's tattoos look awesome, I want a close up on them so I can check them out. I wonder if that actor has tattoos or if they are the charachters. I can't even imagine the kind of obscure esoteric ink a guy like that would get!
    DrewElisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited September 2016
    That scene in the car with Zan and Paperboi was so funny, I died at PB telling the kid to put his seat belt on after his shock at the kids words. I'm watching on the FX Xbox app and the fucks are uncensored, are they letting them play on the regular broadcast?
  • Drew said:

That scene in the car with Zan and Paperboi was so funny, I died at PB telling the kid to put his seat belt on after his shock at the kids words. I'm watching on the FX Xbox app and the fucks are uncensored, are they letting them play on the regular broadcast?

I saw it in broadcast, no they're not....
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky

Drew said:

I saw it in broadcast, no they're not....
    You sure about that? I'm not trying to say you're wrong or anything but I watched it live and they absolutely let the f-bombs fly. The only thing that was censored was what the kid said but that was obviously for comedic effect. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing FX did a thing for The People vs OJ Simpson where they wouldn't censor something the first time an episode aired but then they would be censored for every subsequent airing.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    edited September 2016
    Yeah they most certainly dropped the F bomb on TV. FX is becoming rather lenient. I like it. 
  • Another amazing episode from what is quickly becoming my favorite show on TV. The thinly (not at all veiled) commentary on Justin Bieber had me dying this whole episode. 

Also, that was totally donald singing the fake bieber song at the end. This show is fucking great.
    pavlovsbellMurderbearWonderedObject
  • And that shooting range scene was low-key brilliant, showing how a lot of white people value animal lives more than human lives. This show manages to have an awesome social message every episode and not come off as pandering or preachy at all. It's kind of astounding.
    Doctor_NickAmbitiousBukky
  • That was excellent. And Jane Adams! The racial mistaken identity, "sharecropper's smile," black Justin Bieber, the dad target that is "way too specific." I adore this show.
    Doctor_Nick
  • Agree with others another great epsidoe. I thought the crack at Lloyd was better than the JB crack (more recent). That little convo between him and PaperBoi had me LOL. I also had a good laugh at the shooting range. This show continues to blend the comedy and social commentary beautifully.
  • Absolutely loving this show. Wish it was an hour! I was so confused for a minute with Justin Bieber--I swear I sat up for a second to look for him. It was brilliant. Donald Glover is a groundbreaking writer, truly. So funny, current, conscious. Quickly becoming a favorite.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    I got to say Donald brought me to this show and I'm extremely surprised that considering this was marketed as his show he's not really the main focus, I like the emphasis on Paper Boi, and Darius well he's by far the standout of the show so far.

The gun range scene was great, I really can't stand my fellow humans that place animal life before human life and that scene really showed the hypocrisy that comes with them kind of people, like really it's ok to practice shooting a human but an animal is over stepping?

Also the entire Justin Bieber plot line was fantastic, 10/10 show DGLover has on his hands here.
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited October 2016
    I really like this Vulture article's take on the show.  

"... Theatre of the Absurd. The similarity I see here is in the creation of an unexplained strange universe to reflect a certain meaninglessness. Why I point to Albee — namely, his early work, like The Zoo Story — and Pinter is because they presented seemingly everyday settings and created uncertainty through the interactions of characters.Atlanta, The Zoo Story, and, for example, Pinter's The Birthday Party, share a specificity of tone that both seems like its set in our world, but also doesn't. But beyond that, it is the idea of the Comedy of Menace (a description of Pinter's work that the writer rejected): That is to say, these are very funny comedies, but they all share a sense of disquieting ambiguity. It's not unlike contemporary comedies of discomfort, like The Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm, but the difference is the reason for discomfort is unclear."

There is definitely something off with the world we're watching in Atlanta, but even Darius, perhaps the most "out there" of all the personalities on the show, doesn't have the zany, crazy personality disorder type dysfunction that you might see on The Office or Curb Your Enthusiasm that might explain what was wrong with the world...
  • Another excellent episode (although I was so grossed out at times i watched through my fingers). It's so awesome that this show has such a flexibility that it can ostensibly omit all main characters in favor of a really interesting story involving a periphery character.
    Ashley