Atlanta on FX

Comments

• DrewDrew indianapolis
    Why didn't she just take her daughters diaper off and wait for her to have to pee? Anyway, great episode, may be my favorite so far.
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Very few shows know how to pull off episodes that aren't focused on the main characters. This is one of them. This one was golden. And loved the soundtrack
    KingKobra
  • Good to see that intro that had almost nothing to do with DGs character. Was also happy to see that a woman cowrote this episode (the "fight" in the beginning especially rang "true" to me). This show has dared people to watch it even though the "main" character only shows up in passing. To do this in the 1st season takes some guts, I for one applaud it. DV is giving each character attention that shows rarely do, this will hopefully pay off by allowing them to do more varying storylines in the future without rocking the boat too much. While I was looking forward to this show, I'm not sure I was expecting this, or for it to be this good.
    AshleypavlovsbellAmbitiousBukky
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA

Do we know how many episodes there'll be this season? I was going through my DVR and I couldn't believe we've had six already. It's not even over yet and I already want more.

This last episode was fantastic. The whole scene between Van and her friend - the distance at first, the argument, and then five minutes later, being okay again, it was so realistic. And I was disgusted through the back half of the episode, but still so entertained. I legitimately cackled at Paper Boi's last text to Van, "Girl, you sloppy af." I don't even know why. It's just so good. 

pavlovsbell
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    10 episodes this season and I know they already announced it was renewed for a second season.
    KingKobra
  • I can't believe how much this show continues to elevate and challenge the viewers. When the episode started and Paper Boi started saying somewhat transphobic things i had a bit of unease, but as the episode progressed I realized that the entire episode was trying to touch on larger themes of privilege in ways i'm still processing. Seriously @Jim @A_Ron_Hubbard this show is dying for deeper analysis. So amazing. Also, fake Don Lemon was spot on.
    hypergenesbMurderbearpavlovsbellAshleyAmbitiousBukky
  • Who in there everlovin mind says we are going to do an episode like that in our 1st season lol have to say they had me laughing not only during the interview, but the commercials as well. This show has seemlessly interwoven its story into current social topics while using comedy to take the edge off. DG has disappeared from in front of the camera and it seems next week may continue this trend.
    pavlovsbellphoenyx1023
    I love this show so much. I'm so glad it's something so entirely different than almost anything else on television right now. Funny, insightful, real. I hope people aren't sleeping on it.
    pavlovsbellphoenyx1023
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    Felon DeGeneres. Drake Malfoy.

"Hey, excuse me. What IPA do you have on tap?"
    "Hey, did you see Game of Thrones last night?"

Oh my goodness. I was losing it. I wonder if this will be a polarizing episode because this is something you don't do in your first season, but why not? Especially when Glover established from the beginning that he doesn't care about formal structure or even an overarching narrative (much). 
    hypergenesbKingKobra
  • Really well done.

It's so funny while not hitting you over the head with its commentary.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    When the "35 year old white man" did a complete 180 at the end of the episode I lost it. I haven't laughed that hard in such a long time. I saw a comment earlier about this being like a live action Boondocks, I 100% agree. 
  • When the "35 year old white man" did a complete 180 at the end of the episode I lost it. I haven't laughed that hard in such a long time. I saw a comment earlier about this being like a live action Boondocks, I 100% agree. 

Was it really a 180?  I think that sentiment is often true.  Paperboy actually seemed fairly open minded, but there are plenty of people who are discriminated against themselves who don't have much use for other groups they don't identify with who are discriminated against.   
    @Doctor_Nick What I meant was that I, along with the interviewer and guest, incorrectly and perhaps ignorantly assumed that because he was in a transition phase himself that he'd be accepting of others like transgender individuals. So to see him be compeletely against that idea is what I considered to be the turn. And hilarious because it went against everything I think the interview was trying to convey.
  • @Doctor_Nick What I meant was that I, along with the interviewer and guest, incorrectly and perhaps ignorantly assumed that because he was in a transition phase himself that he'd be accepting of others like transgender individuals. So to see him be compeletely against that idea is what I considered to be the turn. And hilarious because it went against everything I think the interview was trying to convey.

The guest was a "version" of CJ (who also said similar things regarding gay marriage (has since "switched" views). This of course was taken to an extreme, but the impact was the same. I did also find it funny, since it was basically ripped from the headlines ;)
    WonderedObject
    I think it's fair to subconsciously question anything that family does.
  • I feel like a broken record but I can't believe how insanely good this show continues to be. When that fucking dude dissapeared into the wall I was dying. When the guy ran over the people with the invisible car at the end I literally almost fell off my chair. I never want this show to end
    phoenyx1023WonderedObjectKingKobrapavlovsbellhypergenesbMurderbearAshleyCodyHarris821AmbitiousBukky
    Oh man this is something else. That invisible car got me as well. Just thought of spongebob the whole time. I'm rarely a fan of long seasons but man I wish this were longer.
    pavlovsbell
  • Perfect depiction of the club scene (including the fight and gunshots. Oh and the diner scene after the club)...loved the invisible car cameo in the end. This has quickly risen to a must watch show.
    pavlovsbell
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Whoo boy, I was three episodes behind and caught up last night.  3 all time classics.  Really pleased how easily Earn's baby mama carried the pee-pee episode, and how much social tension was built up by her scheme.  I was braced for the balloon to fall off in the hallway, and when she started using her teeth to open it I was literally like "oh shit, oh shit," like a bomb was about to go off.

The trans-racial man episode was crazy uncomfortable, insightful, and hilarious, and the confidence you have to have to tell that kind of story is amazing.  Then the Club episode... when the promoter disappeared through the wall I just lost it.  Slippery AF, indeed. 

Glover is so talented it's almost not fair.  Every week I keep hoping Harmon will have him on his podcast.  He might be too big to do it, though, come to think of it. 
    WonderedObjectKingKobraDegausser24Murderbear
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    "Man, fuck the club! Could have stayed at home and finished Amadeus and had a better time, man."
    "Well, that's true."

I expected Darius to be watching Amadeus when Alfred called him, but no, he wouldn't do that to Alfred. And playing Zoo Tycoon was even funnier. 
    KingKobrahypergenesb
  • Whoo boy, I was three episodes behind and caught up last night.  3 all time classics.  Really pleased how easily Earn's baby mama carried the pee-pee episode, and how much social tension was built up by her scheme.  I was braced for the balloon to fall off in the hallway, and when she started using her teeth to open it I was literally like "oh shit, oh shit," like a bomb was about to go off.

The trans-racial man episode was crazy uncomfortable, insightful, and hilarious, and the confidence you have to have to tell that kind of story is amazing.  Then the Club episode... when the promoter disappeared through the wall I just lost it.  Slippery AF, indeed. 

Glover is so talented it's almost not fair.  Every week I keep hoping Harmon will have him on his podcast.  He might be too big to do it, though, come to think of it. 
    How does @Jim feel about the show so far? Any chance you guys might do a season 1 wrap up cast as a stand alone bald move tv episode or something?
    Doctor_NickAmbitiousBukky
    @A_Ron_Hubbard you guys should just do one big ol Bald Move Tv episode about Atlanta, Stranger Things, Ballers and Vice Principals so we'll stop asking! Ha!

But seriously, this show is so good I just can't get over it.
    WonderedObjectDegausser24KingKobra
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    Godamn!!!! Better and better with each episode. Latest one was sooo perfect and great, I agree with Paperboi, fuck the club! I laughed out loud so many times. Glover and Paperboi both had some amazingly funny performances - and it's really the little stuff in this show that gets me the most. "they're not scared of me like they are with you, they know I drink juice.."  XD

I feel like him being on the podcast has to happen eventually. Dan is also doing a show for FX soon, so being on the same network maybe will get them together. Crossing my fingers!
    edited October 2016
    So it was announced that DG was just cast as young Lando in the Han Solo movie coming up. Between this show being a hit and joining Star Wars, I'm really happy things are going well for the guy.
    MurderbearA_Ron_Hubbard
  • So it was announced that DG was just cast as young Lando in the Han Solo movie coming up. Between this show being a hit and joining Star Wars, I'm really happy things are going well for the guy.

I'm super stoked. He's a brilliant artist and he seems like a genuinely good dude so I'm glad to see his career taking off so much. I hope he finds time between all this to release his new album. He had a listening party in September and everyone raved about it. The anticipation is killing me.
    WonderedObject