3.5mm Headphone Jack - Yea or Nay?

In a move worthy of Joffrey Baratheon, the Company of Courage just dropped the axe on the ol'headphone jack in the new iPhone 7.

How's that make people feel?

Comments

• I got wireless Beats headphones as a Christmas present and I love them. So it's all I use and since its wireless already the news doesn't impact me.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    edited September 2016
    It pisses me off because I only buy iPhones but I don't like their earphones - my ear holes are tiny and they don't fit. And I also don't really ever listen to music so I don't care enough about quality of sound to shell out for wireless wotsits.
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I'm assuming this means no AUX connector either? I don't really use that, but I am sure there will be plenty of people who are upset about it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • voodooratvoodoorat Atlanta
    edited September 2016
    i'll be getting the new phone.  the headphone jack i'm pretty agnostic on (i use bluetooth headphones when i run and just recently got a bluetooth car kit), i might miss it occasionally but not much.  i find the first-party apple earbuds to be the most horribly uncomfortable things in existence, i will never wear them as they make my ears feel like they are being torn apart from the inside after about five minutes.  any sort of water resistance is a big deal for me as my iphone 6 got fried by incredibly brief exposure to the pool last summer (it was maybe a quarter of a second of water exposure and it got hot and never turned on again, it's been in a lifeproof case since), but it would be nice if they'd taken the opportunity to make a battery that lasted significantly longer.  honestly, i'd rather have a fatter phone with a better battery, i don't understand the economy that drives us to have super thin phones with beautiful aesthetics that we have to put in plastic and rubber cases to protect and carry around external batteries for because the aesthetics interfere so much with the function.  but it is what it is, i'll make do (first world problems, i know).

*edit* i'm getting the phone not because i'm super excited about it or that it's the best technology ever or whatever tim cook says--i'm getting it because i'm due for a new phone, i can sell this iphone 6 while it still has value, and my battery holds even less of a charge than it used to.
  • I've never bought into (both literally and figuratively) the Apple ecosystem and it's exactly for reasons like this. Once you buy in, you are buying their decision on everything you buy since there's so little choice, and that also comes with a high end price tag. Sure, wireless headphones and speakers are great. I personally have a nice set of bluetooth headphones I use all the time at work, in the car, when I am at Fred Meyer, when I am listening to podcasts in the wee hours and don't want to wake anyone, lol, etc. And I have a pretty decent bluetooth speaker I use at home. 

But not everyone can afford that shit, all that stuff needs battery power,  not to mention that everyone probably has about 10 pairs of cheap wired earbuds laying around that if you are an iPhone user are about to become useless (and thus you will need to replace them with something new to buy from Apple). I have a pair of wired headphones that I keep in my desk for when I forget my bluetooth headphones at home. So I guess if I was an iPhone user, I would need to buy an extra pair of bluetooth headphones for those days? Because god knows I can't work without headphones; whenever that happens it's a disaster, haha. 

Overall I don't like being told what to buy or how much to spend on it, and I prefer the choice that having an Android phone gives me, so I don't like these types of moves Apple makes to try to put their devices in a silo of their own making. I also think it's getting sillier and sillier as Apple loses some of its cache to some of the higher end Android phones. 
    They are including a lightning to 3.5 mm adapter, so the 15 pairs of earbuds I have lying around will still work. Just can't charge phone and use them at the same time which is kinda lame. Really surprised they didn't implement the wireless charging. Guess that'll be the "7s" selling point

KingKobra
  • Why is everyone acting like you can't use your wired headphones anymore? They give you an adapter in the box and extras are $9. 

I kinda have mixed feelings about it, but it's ultimately not that big of a deal. I use bluetooth or the built-in speaker 90% of the time, and there's the dongle for the rest of the time. 

The only real legitimate problem I see with it is not being able to charge while you have headphones plugged in. There are certainly instances where I will want to do this, but it's not that common, and the longer lasting batteries in the 7 should help mitigate that. 
    hisdudeness915KingKobra
  • 3.5" floppy, optical drive... add it to the list fairly widely used tech apple decided to move away from. every time i'm a little skeptical, and every time worked out for them... i doubt this will be much different.
  • Personally I just bought a Bluetooth headset that's really quite good (an LG) but it doesn't have the audio quality of my Audio Technica headphones or Etymotic in-ear monitor headsets, so I'll be continuing to use those when I want to listen to music on the go, which makes the adapter a little silly.   

"3.5" floppy, optical drive... add it to the list fairly widely used tech apple decided to move away from. every time i'm a little skeptical, and every time worked out for them... i doubt this will be much different."

I'd say the better replacements for disks and optical drives were already around when Apple killed their support for the older technologies.  I think the only thing wireless audio is better at right now is the fact that it's wireless.... 
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    F**k Apple, long live Windows Phone!
  • @akritenbrink Obviously no one 'wants' to carry anything extra around but that's an incredibly nit picky thing to complain about, it's literally like a 2.5" adapter that you just keep attached to your headset when you unplug it, big deal. 

I nerdraged a bit when I had to use a dongle for Ethernet on my Thinkpad X1 Carbon, but I don't need to use it that often and it's just a little cable I keep in one of the small compartments in my backpack, no big deal.

I've been on Android since 2012, I have no love or hate for either ecosystem really, they each have their positives and negatives. But the thing I noticed that is making go back to iPhones for now is the fact that I have never used an Android phone that wasn't a POS after 12-18 months or so. even as soon as 6 months or so I see sluggishness that was not there when new, and when you upgrade to a whole new version of Android on a device that shipped with an older one, it's a goddamn nightmare. And I'm not talking about cheap devices, these are all 'high end' phones. My Galaxy S3 was by far the best of them all. 

• WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    I think it's stupid. But at the end of the day, I'll get used to it and get over it just like everything else. It's really not that big of a deal, just tedious more than anything else. 

• TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Haven't read everyone's replies but the phone is going to come with an adapter for the lightening port so that you can continue to use your ear buds. I'm alright with that. But I am an apple whore and will never get another type of phone ever. AND I don't use the headphone jack often anyway... I use my Bose color wave speaker or the aux jack in my car.

VIVA APPLE!
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    If I've learned one thing from my life long study of the Jim, is that one's man minor quirk is another's life destroying hassle. And it's not an incredibly consistent nor logical dividing of the lines, neither. I suspect the level of nerd rage about the 3.5mm jack is that kind of issue. No biggie for some, WHY GOD WHY for others.

I'm a Droid guy "4lyfe" , and I have never not kept a Droid for over 2 years. I got a few tips and tricks. Always buy at the bleeding edge of the tech curve. Always buy the phone that had the biggest battery. And when all else fails, cyanogenmod. Which leads to the next rule: never buy a locked phone. If you're going to get a locked phone get an iPhone.
    TaraC73KingKobra
  • @akritenbrink Sorry that just doesn't make any sense to me. If you cannot afford a sudden unexpected $9 expense then you have absolutely no business buying a $650-$1000 phone. If I were that poor there's no way I would even have a smart phone. 
    TaraC73
  • Is rooting and modding Android still worth it for user experience?
  • With BT headphones cheap enough and it having the adapter, I don't see it as a big deal. I mean eventually this was going to happen, Apple just decided now was the time. I think this is something similar to what Vizio did by moving to mostly tablet interface. Change is never easy at first, but the more that we get used to it, the better things will get.

What I do hope is that this pushed the BT headset market to better performance/battery life.breally my only problem with BT headphones is the battery life. If I could get 8 hours of listen/talk/whatever time I'd be content.
  • edited September 2016
    This is the straw that breaks the camel's back for me. I don't care that they give me an adapter. I don't care that android is a less stable OS than iOS. I'm switching.

I frequently charge my phone in the car with an AUX cable plugged in, so I would have to buy a doubly bulky adapter (that isn't even produced by Apple). And I have to make sure I never lose the lightning to 3.5mm adapter. Ugh. 

As for the people saying that Apple is pushing tech forward, bullshit! If they wanted to do that, why not make better wireless tech? Everyone here is all like "oh I haz bluetoofs, so whatevs." If that's Apple's game plan, then why do they still have the lightning port? Why include an adapter? Why have any port at all? This is all just BS to further pigeonhole us into the Apple ecosystem in every way they possibly can.
  • I can't wait until whatever iPhone iteration introduces iBone bone-conduction technology. "Sick of losing your AirPods?!" $$$
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    edited September 2016
    I have a Note 7 and for the first time I don't feel the need to root or change my ROM. Samsung has really made Touchwiz, or whatever they call their Android variant now, a really smooth experience.

I have zero interest in a phone with no 3.5mm jack. I have Bluetooth earbuds and the audio quality just isn't the same.
  • I'm not crazy about the change, but it's not a deal breaker for me. I'm more disappointed, but not surprised, by the continued form factor that resembles every other phone. I love the design of the iPhone 5 and am still contemplating getting the SE, but I probably won't.
  • I switched to Samsung a while back, but I'm glad Apple still has the balls to do this stuff. Like getting rid of optical drives, it's something that people will think they hate until they actually live with it for a while. And the alternative they suggested on LwJA of using optical audio is lunacy. It's impractical because the cables are more fragile, it IS proprietary (owned by Toshiba), and the equipment would be more expensive than just using Bluetooth or Apple's lightning standard. There are lots of $20 Bluetooth headsets with good audio quality and batteries that will last the day, so you just plug them in overnight like you would with your phone. That minor inconvenience doesn't seem any greater than the hassle of dealing with tangled cables.
  • @alexander.klassen Oh, I was initially upset about ditching optical drives, and I was super upset about ditching the 17" MBP, but my neck and back certainly appreciated the smaller & lighter MBPs, and I hardly ever hook up my external drive to watch a DVD.

I don't anticipate an issue with simultaneous charging and listening. I can happily forgo stimuli for extended periods of time, 5-15 minutes is not going to put me out. 
  • charging/listening might bother me, but i mostly use bluetooth anyway.  i am a battery worrier, i top it off pretty much whenever i have an opportunity and i start getting anxious when it hits like 60%.