Podcast ads for underwear

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
Why do so many podcasts advertise for underwear? I don't listen to any podcasts about fashion or clothing, yet they all seem to be advertising for underwear except the yarn/knitting/crochet ones, which advertise yarn. News, entertainment, culture, it doesn't matter. They are all selling underwear. 

I even like to shop, and have more clothes than I need, but I don't spend a lot of time thinking about underwear. I just buy a bunch once in a while from a store I buy clothes at, and just keep wearing them without a care in the world until they need to be replaced. Is there a great need for all this underwear advertising? 

Now they are all selling "Me Undies" and saying I can have the same undies as my husband. I have been with this man for 14 years and never once have I thought "I wish we could have the same underwear!"

Comments

• Companies doing mass ad buys, it's nothing new. Stamps.com does them occasionally, Blue Apron, Casper Beds, Harry's razers, there's several companies that buy cheap podcast advertising for a ton of podcasts, I listen to a lot of podcasts so I noticed this years ago. They come and go, Audible is one of the oldest and largest podcast advertisers I can think of.
    GeorgeKingKobra
  • yeah, the actual companies doing the advertising shift around a little over time, but it always seems to be the same five or six companies that are advertising at any given time across all podcasts.  it was worthy of an atlantic article last year:

• I'm curious how much these ads are costing these companies. Depends on the podcast I'm sure, but I imagine it's a pretty Big Bang for their marketing buck.
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    Interesting... I know more about blog marketing, which is usually much more targeted. Like I wouldn't have ads on my blog that aren't relevant to the content. Well, I guess everyone wears underwear. Most people, anyway. Haha
  • I imagine the podcast demographic is fairly high end still, as it remains a little bit niche. 10 years ago it was probably a really interesting demographic.
  • @Doctor_Nick It was probably all nerds ten years ago. For years I had to explain to people what a 'podcast' was, til suddenly one day I got a weird look from someone when I started to automatically explain what it was for the 300th time and realized it had finally reached the masses. Back then I was mostly only listening to tech podcasts, and then Hardcore History starting in 2008 or so. 
  • i've never listened to one that advertises for underwear but i'll take ur word that it's a thing
  • @Tom_A Seems to be a more recent thing.
    Hmmmmm... I don't know, I've been hearing about podcasts for a while, but I used to listen to NPR a lot and I live in a nerd centered place, I guess.
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Tom_A said:

i've never listened to one that advertises for underwear but i'll take ur word that it's a thing

Oh Bill Burr LOVES to sing about "me undies" lmfao!!!
    George
  • You'll usually listen to "early adopter" type add buys. That's because podcast listeners are probably more likely to 1) buy online and 2) be an early adopter and spread word of mouth. As it's been said the "underwear" one is "new", but we see it all the time, the product just changes (Warby Parker used to be real big, stamps dot com has been around for awhile, Casper beds another long term member, Hary's shaving ) pretty soon I expect to start seeing the new ad buy go in and we'll start hearing adds for xyz company start to make their way through. If the product is popular enough, I'll start seeing as buys in networks (I get to say, I knew them before they went mainstream lol).

Company's are trying to fill those needs of folks that don't want to go out shopping. They asinine to have that feeling of "custom" or "special" products. The products don't always hit, but obviously enough do to make it worthwhile ;) heck it got you to create a thread on it. Sometimes you don't realize you have the need until you hear about it and think, shoot I would like my underwear delivered to me. One less reason to fight the mobs at the stores.
    Sure, I get marketing to online people; that's what blogs do too, but it's just so random. Like with blog marketing you might be talking about books and then you advertise books or whatever.

Well, I guess at least we know these people's coverage of their topics is not being bought by their underwear vendor contacts lol
  • Sure, I get marketing to online people; that's what blogs do too, but it's just so random. Like with blog marketing you might be talking about books and then you advertise books or whatever.

Well, I guess at least we know these people's coverage of their topics is not being bought by their underwear vendor contacts lol
    A lot of it has to do with the lead in. Some places are really good at it and make it "natural". Some just want to read the add, because it's somehing they have to do. Everyone knows ads "suck", but they help keep the lights on. You may hear the same ad across multiple podcasts (it happens more often than not), the difference is the read. Especially when they butcher the ad it can be a great comedy skit.

I wouldn't expect targeted products though. The audience is much wider than just the forums ;) heck BM just recently passed 20 Million downloads, we are but a small fraction of their actual audience, so the ads are meant for the larger portion ;) think about it this way, why am I going to advertise books on a book podcast? It seems redundant to me. The better play would be to advertise something the listener may want/need that is unrelated to books.

Of course maybe a large portion of their audience listen to their casts in their underwear. Perfect paring :)
    I wasn't talking about Bald Move. Are they doing underwear ads?
  • edited September 2016

I wasn't talking about Bald Move. Are they doing underwear ads?

I think they talked about it briefly, but I listen to ad free casts, so I'm not really familiar with what the current round is. I know the underwear ads have been talked about in other podcasts I listen to (Nerdist, TWiT and possibly the BSPN as well as Vox Media). Looks like the company went and bought as time on a number of the top podcasting networks.
    Well, if they are, I get it, you gotta pay the bills. But I still don't want to match my underwear with my husband lol
    I subscribe to the all-in-one feed now, but the only ads I ever heard them say when I was listening to the GoT podcasts were ads for their club. 
  • Well I'm just disappointed I haven't heard J&A advertise for underwear yet. I'm pretty sure that would be worth a listen. @KingKobra do you remember which podcast it was?
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    edited September 2016
    TaraC73 said:

Tom_A said:

i've never listened to one that advertises for underwear but i'll take ur word that it's a thing

Best reads in the business.

'Me undies, me undies. No more schweaty balls.'

Dude has to lose a sponsor every episode. His Fan Duel ads were hilarious.
    TaraC73
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    I would love to do a me undies read. I'm already a customer and the product is amazing, if they paid me it's a no Brainer.

Podcadt advertising is incredibly cost effective, I would imagine. Rates are like 25 bucks per 1000, but they cap the traffic. Say you get an ad buy for 25 for 30k, you'd get paid 750, even if you had a podcast that reached 100k. Still waiting for the big boys to get in the game, it's early times yet.
    akritenbrinkTaraC73
    Well, color me educated on how podcast advertising works. :)
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    George said:

TaraC73 said:

Tom_A said:

Best reads in the business.

'Me undies, me undies. No more schweaty balls.'

Dude has to lose a sponsor every episode. His Fan Duel ads were hilarious.
    Omg no kidding!!! I love when he read sherry's berries
  • A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    You guys clearly haven't heard a 30 minute long Dan Harmon Me Undies pitch.  Holy hell, a) I can't believe Me Undies are okay with them, and 2) they're pretty damn funny.  
  • I've only heard mattresses being advertised on podcasts.
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    Imma let you guys finish but as @TaraC73 said, this is the greatest podcast ad of all time: 

ghm3MelonuskGeorgeTaraC73
  • @Frakkin T Hahahaha I remember this, but I think this one gives it a run for its money:

He doesn't even get the company name right until halfway through hahaha
    GeorgeTaraC73
    I don't listen to any of these guys who you guys are saying do wacky ads for Me Undies. But it's worth noting that right now marketing is obsessed with uniqueness, personalization and "stories," so they might actually like those wacky ones better than the ones where people are just reading a press release or prepared text. I'm pretty sure a marketer's dream is to create a commercial that's so infused into the podcast that you never notice it's an ad (which is illegal haha).

In fact, that's kind of more the original tone of my post, not that underwear ads are annoying, but that they aren't very personalized or targeted. I have noticed that I hear a lot of ads for Casper mattresses, Audible dot com, stamps dot com and so forth. And then I am supposed to go do the thing they say is a special deal for their listeners only, with their name at the end of the URL. But then I listen to another podcast and they have the same thing. I am no dummy! haha. And sometimes it's jarring, like when I am listening to Double X (slate podcast about women in culture) and they are having a very intelligent discussion about something and then they slide right into a pitch about underwear.

Maybe the reason the yarn podcasts I listen to have more targeted/specific marketing is that they are smaller and don't have the listener numbers to get into these big ad buys. But I have followed, linked to, shopped etc at more of those yarn sites than I have for Casper Mattress, Audible, stamps, etc. I already have a mattress, I have a library card I use for audiobooks, and I use paypal for shipping, done done and done. But there's always more yarn. :) :) :) 

Meaning- They do targeted marketing more like I am used to as a blogger. But after we started talking about this, I looked up more about this and it's apparently quite difficult to track the followup on podcast advertising, which makes sense, because there's nothing to click and track.So it would make sense you would take whatever the best deal you could get on the front end.