Official Direct Thread: House of Cards 101 & 102

Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
edited September 2016 in Direct
Consider this your official thread for the David Fincher-directed first two episodes of House of CardsWhat are your favorite moments, fan theories, characters, camera moves and themes? What's your take on Fincher's take? Join us! 

Comments

• Can you guys talk about breaking the fourth wall? I think Gone Girl was the first movie to have any sort of narration he did, and he's doing the fourth wall thing in this show, is this a new Fincher trend? 

Eric, I listen to The Social Network all the time at work as well. If you like that you'll definitely like "The Knick" soundtrack, check it out. 
  • EMAW42 said:

Can you guys talk about breaking the fourth wall? I think Gone Girl was the first movie to have any sort of narration he did, and he's doing the fourth wall thing in this show, is this a new Fincher trend? 

There is a lot of narration in Fight Club and Benjamin Button, but it definitely has evolved over time. I'll definitely keep an eye out for it. Thanks for the suggestion! 
  • I don't know how much credit Fincher should get for the 4th-wall-breaking narration in HOC as that device was used in the original BBC version as well, so it was just carried over. Granted his execution of it is very solid. 

I actually didn't have a chance to re-watch these first two, so it's not fresh in my mind and I didn't remember the Zoe Barnes subway station framing that Eric mentioned, but that is really cool. 

I never actually made it through all of season 3, but I thoroughly enjoyed the first season. It actually started to lose me in the second season.