305 - Yerba Buena

Wahl-eWahl-e Seattle
edited September 2016 in Halt and Catch Fire
Director: Andrew McCarthy
Writer: Mark Lafferty

And don't forget about the TANDY SHANDY MEGATHREAD

Comments

• This season started with such promise, but it is starting to flounder so bad. Outside of Boz, characters are becoming so unlikable. Cameron is like a spoiled teenager at this point. Donna gives in to Cameron too easily and treats Gordon like crap. I mean, I understand telling someone that you didn't really enjoy something, but to just drop it like that in the middle of him reminiscing after a good day is just cold.The thing that I still don't quite figure is whether the show is intentionally making them all out to be terrible people or if this is unintended. That is, I don't know if they were trying to portray Joe and Cameron as geniuses who happen to be assholes and accidentally ended up portraying them just as assholes, or if their intention from the start was to make them out to be just assholes.

Hopefully the show turns around and it really becomes an interesting commentary on how sometimes people who think of themselves as misunderstood geniuses are just assholes. Because right now I see nothing but terrible people.
  • I have a question, are we so connected to these characters the the floundering and frustration that they are living is coming across in our feelings about the show? I mean when the show is hot, everyone is hyped and excited. Now that we are in the downward slide for our characters, do we start disliking what we are seeing. I'm sure things will turn around on this show, maybe not for everyone, but for sure for some folks.

It's been brought up before, but this show may be trying to bite off too much related to early tech advancements. In one storyline we have the beginnings of social media chatrooms and e-commerce in the other we are seeing the beginnings of privatized Internet access. While I understand that smfh is show is trying to hook casual viewers, the amount of "firsts" might be a little heavy handed.

As a side note was Ryan's question of "I don't even know if you like me" meant to be face value, or was there more meaning behind it. This especially after seeing Joe with his partner. Did Joe get the news that he was HIV negative (this is what I think) and thus the big smile and then getting back into the work? Looking for ward to the podcast this week.
  • I don't think its about being too connected to the characters. There are plenty of shows about people struggling where their struggle doesn't translate into similar feelings for the show. Cameron's lines would be almost natural if coming from a 14 year old teenager.
  • I don't think its about being too connected to the characters. There are plenty of shows about people struggling where their struggle doesn't translate into similar feelings for the show. Cameron's lines would be almost natural if coming from a 14 year old teenager.

For me she has always been portrayed as an emotionally stunted character. She wears her emotions on her sleeve and allows them to control her actions. They are not always rational or even in her best interest, but I think they've done a good job of building her. It's not like she's getting help either, right now Donna is the closest thing she has to a mother figure and even that teetered on the "friend" instead of "guidance" level. For her character to grow she's going to need someone to allow her to be her, but also try to help her from being controlled by her emotions to her detriment.
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    Personally I'm really enjoying the season so far. I'm really feeling bad for Boz so far, he seems to be having a worse start to this season than last, and last season homie was getting out of prison to a totally fractured personal and business life.

I'm surprised they pulled the trigger on Cameron finding out about Donna lying so soon, how long is this season? I was sure they would let that linger for a couple episodes, if were only getting 10 episodes than I guess it's fine but if it's 13 they should have let it stew a few episodes.

What was that ending about? Did Tom and Cam get married on the DL? Is Cameron going to thank Mutiny by the end of the season? Will we get a season 4?

I'm assuming Joe didn't contract HIV considering his reaction, but I kind of feel like it would have been ballsy to go with that storyline.
    Wahl-e
  • KingKobra said:

I don't think its about being too connected to the characters. There are plenty of shows about people struggling where their struggle doesn't translate into similar feelings for the show. Cameron's lines would be almost natural if coming from a 14 year old teenager.

For me she has always been portrayed as an emotionally stunted character. She wears her emotions on her sleeve and allows them to control her actions. They are not always rational or even in her best interest, but I think they've done a good job of building her. It's not like she's getting help either, right now Donna is the closest thing she has to a mother figure and even that teetered on the "friend" instead of "guidance" level. For her character to grow she's going to need someone to allow her to be her, but also try to help her from being controlled by her emotions to her detriment.

That is where my first post's question comes from. Season 1, 2 and starting of this one Cameron was portrayed as emotionally stunted, but that was a driving part of her genius and competence. I feel like these past few episodes they dropped the "brilliant coder and innovator" part of her personality and just kept the petulant child part of it. Not a fatal problem, but it is simply not as compelling to me.
    KingKobrahypergenesb
  • I'm really surprised there's so much negativity about this season, it's absolutely blown me away so far. The characters in this show feel like real people having real arguments in ways I've never seen captured on TV. I really like how when characters are arguing you can see both sides and it isn't clear who the show thinks you should think is right.