211 - "eps2.9_pyth0n-pt1.p7z"

A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
edited September 2016 in Mr. Robot
Written and directed by Sam Esmail

Comments

• akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    ooh ohh, I get to play this week! It's actually episode 211! hahaha
  • I just yelled "Oh, come the fuck on!" at my TV.  
    ghm3Demickingbee67Garrison66
  • Wait. What? Seriously. WTF? I need Friday to be here so the guys can Bald-splain this to me.
    kingbee67Mrcad
  • Last episode Angela made a comment about getting high and watching Back to the Future and in the van they were playing a song from the dance. Lolita? The motivational poster? What does it all mean?!?
    Elisa
  • There were at least three songs prominently featured in BTTF in this episode.  Probably a ton more references that I didn't pick up on either (what else is new).

Makes me wonder if White Rose gave Angela a little taste of what Cisco got under his fingernail...
    Elisa
  • Fuck this episode. The pretension is just off the charts here and I don't see it earning any of it. Oooh look a Commodore, that's so deep! A mysterious red phone! It's like some 10th grader wrote this as a nerdy David Lynch homage. 

And on top of this they pull a TWD with the withholding of information about Darlene and Cisco, just because. What a stupid ridiculous episode.
    DemicJujeehypergenesbMelonuskkingbee67alexander.klassenGarrison66
  • Wait. What? Seriously. WTF? I need Friday to be here so the guys can Bald-splain this to me.

ElisaGarrison66
  • I have an honest question. Are we meant to believe that a company that was just the victim of the worst cyber attack in history is now entrusted to create and secure their own crypto currency? If your life savings and investments or mortgage went into the ether would you consider doubling down and getting their currency?
    Doctor_NickDemicJujeeElisaalexander.klassenGarrison66
  • edited September 2016
    Oh and wtf did Dom put on Carrot Top-sized hipster glasses when she laid down to rest? 
    DrewElisaGinaMarie113Garrison66
  • ghm3 said:

Oh and wtf did Dom put on Carrot Top-sized hipster glasses when she laid down to rest? 

That entire scene was painfully unnecessary.

"Alexa....should I watch the Mr Robot finale?"

"Due to fees paid by USA I am obligated to not unlock the doors to your home until you watch it."
    ghm3akritenbrinkDrewMelonuskkingbee67GinaMarie113alexander.klassen
  • OMG C64 Text adventures in 2016.
    akritenbrink
    ElisaGarrison66
  • Man, the Dark Army is really all over. Killed Cisco in front of Dom, grabbed Angela right before the Federales can get there. Quite the evil secret society.
    Elisa

Man, the Dark Army is really all over. Killed Cisco in front of Dom, grabbed Angela right before the Federales can get there. Quite the evil secret society.

They got the Femtecell (or however you spell it) telling them everything.
    DrewKingKobraElisa
    So... Was the whole episode Elliott's dream? Just the Angela parts? None of it? Just the parts after he woke up? 

Another key concern: I really wanted Whiterose to give Angela a cigarette. That whole conversation I was just wanting Angela to ask her for a cigarette. You know Whiterose is not going to just offer her one. 

Elisa
  • DrewDrew indianapolis
    edited September 2016
    That Dom and Alexa scene was literally the worst scene in this entire series, thankfully based Tyrell Wellick is back to save the show
    GinaMarie113
  • A different Tyrell Wellick.
    Elisa
  • Actually written and directed by Esmail! Who actually seems to not understand the difference between intrigue and aggravation! After the no-subtlety-necessary Back to the Future playlist, GEE I wonder if people will spend all week "deciphering" the meaning! (Marvin Berry is behind it all! Don't mess with no reefer addicts!) Why exactly did season 2 need twelve episodes???
    brewseveltJim
  • edited September 2016
    Funnily enough, the book I'm currently reading explains what the red phone in the Dark Army interrogation room is a reference to. The book is about the Chinese Communist Party's influence over the government and China as a whole.

Here's an excerpt:

"On the desks of the heads of China's 50-odd biggest state companies sits a red phone. The executives and their staff who jump to attention when it rings know it as "the red machine," perhaps because to call it a mere phone does not do it justice. "When the 'red machine' rings," a senior executive of a state bank told me, "you had better make sure you answer it."

The red machine is like no ordinary phone. Each one has just a four-digit number. It connects only to similar phones with four-digit numbers within the same encrypted system. They are much coveted nonetheless. For the chairmen and women of the top state companies, who have every modern communications device at their fingertips, the red machine is a sign they have arrived, not just at the top of the company, but in the senior ranks of the Party and the government. The phones are the ultimate status symbol, as they are only given out—under the orders of the Party and government—to people in jobs with the rank of vice minister and above.

The phones are encrypted not just to secure party and government communications from foreign intelligence agencies. They also provide protection against snooping by anyone in China outside the party's governing system. Possession of the red machine means you have qualified for membership of the tight-knit club that runs the country, a small group of about 300 people, mainly men, with responsibility for about one-fifth of humanity."

The book is "The Party: The Secret World of China's Communist Rulers", by Richard McGregor.

Melia004DummyKingKobraDoctor_NickakritenbrinkhypergenesbElisaMelonuskkingbee67ahauntedworldand 3 others.
  • edited September 2016
    To everyone complaining about teases and withholding of information: remember this is only half an episode, that was originally meant to air as a double-length finale. I'd be willing to bet that the decision to split it across two weeks was USA's, not Esmail's. So this doesn't bother me that much, although I reserve my right to be angry if this all isn't explained next week.
    darwinfeeshybrewseveltKingKobraakritenbrinkElisaMelonuskkingbee67
  • edited September 2016

...although I reserve my right to be angry if this all isn't explained next week.

I completely agree. If this season ends on another cliffhanger, with us not really being sure of what the hell is going on with Tyrell and Joanna, or at least getting some solid answers, I'm out.
    Cory
  • WarpFoxWarpFox Nashville, TN
    ghm3 said:

Fuck this episode. The pretension is just off the charts here and I don't see it earning any of it. Oooh look a Commodore, that's so deep! A mysterious red phone! It's like some 10th grader wrote this as a nerdy David Lynch homage. 

And on top of this they pull a TWD with the withholding of information about Darlene and Cisco, just because. What a stupid ridiculous episode.
    If the pretention wasn't so strong here, I might have been interested in trying to decipher all the symbolism in the room, but instead, I was so turned off by it that I became increasingly impatient with the whole scene. I'm starting to regret recommending this show to people based on the strength of the first season, because while this season has had its moments, it has really wasted a lot of time on trying to be "high art" and it's all fallen flat, for me.
    kingbee67Garrison66
  • MichaelVCassidyMichaelVCassidy Harrisburg, Pa
    edited September 2016
    A bit off show topic, but do you all see a lot of "noise" (I don't known the term) when watching dark scenes in Mr Robot. It's like dancing gray dots during dark scenes. It seems to be a show or cable issue and not an issue with my tv, as it rarely happens with other shows I watch. I just wanted to check to make sure. Thanks.
  • Seems the magnetic reversal of the show's polarity is complete. What started as a fairly straightforward narrative drama with a few trippy elements sprinkled in for the sake of drama and interest has done a total 180.

This is now a trippy, aspergers fever-dream with a cursory inclusion of a narrative through line. Mr. Robot has lost its balance (from my point of view). I still dig it–this show hasn't launched itself off a cliff Thelma & Louise style like True Detective did–but it is now a very different thing than it was.

Also, was I the only one laughing hysterically at Angela's fisheye lens closeup in the van once it was parked in the garage? That was utterly ludicrous!
    Garrison66adampasz
  • zippyrich said:

Seems the magnetic reversal of the show's polarity is complete. What started as a fairly straightforward narrative drama with a few trippy elements sprinkled in for the sake of drama and interest has done a total 180.

This is now a trippy, aspergers fever-dream with a cursory inclusion of a narrative through line. Mr. Robot has lost its balance (from my point of view). I still dig it–this show hasn't launched itself off a cliff Thelma & Louise style like True Detective did–but it is now a very different thing than it was.

Also, was I the only one laughing hysterically at Angela's fisheye lens closeup in the van once it was parked in the garage? That was utterly ludicrous!

If it were somehow confirmed that the show was intentionally being so obtuse, I could at least feel comfortable waiting for reveals, but Esmail is fairly obviously teasing us with Elliot literally screaming at the non-English-speaking cab driver "Tell me if you see another person back here!".
    Elisa
  • A bit off show topic, but do you all see a lot of "noise" (I don't known the term) when watching dark scenes in Mr Robot. It's like dancing gray dots during dark scenes. It seems to be a show or cable issue and not an issue with my tv, as it rarely happens with other shows I watch. I just wanted to check to make sure. Thanks.

Compression artifacts, it will especially be apparent in dark scenes. It's cable, try watching the stream of the show which tends to be be less compressed.
  • I guess, I'll be that "one". I enjoyed last nights episode for the most part. I liked the meeting between Darlene and Whiterose, the test I could of sworn was given to someone else previously. Of course, was it all just a dream, or was it real. I did notice that they kept the top of the bookshelf illuminated longer than the rest of the scene when fading into "sleep".

As it's been said, it was originally meant to air as an extended episode (this week and next week as one). This did seem like the 1st half of an episode of an "arc". As far answers go, everyone wants them, then they come and get upset that they got them, which is it?

All of this and year hardly a word on the return of Tyrell aka Eyrell.
    ElisaLacloake
  • Self Affirmation: "Stay patient. See what Part II has in store. You've invested this much time already...what's another hour?"

But really, "Alexa, what the fuck is going on?"
    Elisaahauntedworld
  • I thought it was very funny when Whiterose essentially told us (while telling Angela) that we could have left anytime yet we've been sitting here for all these hours. Pretty much exactly how I'm feeling about it. Do we really want to miss how it ends?
    ghm3
  • I thought it was very funny when Whiterose essentially told us (while telling Angela) that we could have left anytime yet we've been sitting here for all these hours. Pretty much exactly how I'm feeling about it. Do we really want to miss how it ends?

Yep. I am Angela sitting in that room. Going to stay there and at least see how this season ends.
    Elisa