601 - Chapter 1

Director: Bradley Buecker
Writer: Ryan Murphy & Brad Falchuk

Comments

• CecilyCecily Cincinnati
    Who's excited??? Me too. Official prediction, and this may be controversial, but I think someone is going to die. Oh! Also, there's going to be some spooky shit. Save the hate mail, it's just a theory
    CourtneyHartMichelleTaraC73StephsstacksKingKobraBlanch
  • So excited!!! When will the podcast be available on this episode?
  • Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    I am super excited! I'm going dark now and will be back after I watch it because I want to be surprised at the reveal of the theme. I'm still holding on to my theory that the theme of the season is going to be Haunted Hollywood, or something like that. 

@Cecily those are some pretty bold predictions!
    CourtneyHartCecilyTaraC73
    We should have it out by Friday afternoon. The next few weeks may be Saturday as A.Ron has a full plate but we'll do our best!
    Frakkin TMichelleTaraC73
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 2016
    EDGE. OF. MY. SEAT.

Loving where this is going. Btw, was I the only one who was saying "no girl, take that knife with you" when she was chopping the carrots? Also, we need some screen shots from that raw video and of Kathy Bates when she was in front of the car.

Can't wait for Friday's podcast!
    StephsstacksCecilyiMatty94
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Going to watch tomorrow while the kiddos are in school!! Super excited - going to try an remain unspoiled!! :)
  • Pretty good first episode. They got me good on one of those jump scares. Pretty close to literally jumping outta my seat. Damn noise cancelling headphones.
    MichelleCecilyiMatty94
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Spoiler alert just in case you haven't watched episode 1 yet.

If the entire season is this "show within a show" bullshit I will not stick around. We already know none of these three characters will die or be at any real risk considering they're giving "testimonials".

The setting/concept is great, but they're ruining it by using this format. Think how scary it would be if you cut the testimonial bits and had the story otherwise the same.
    TaraC73BlanchJohn_Nada
  • Yeah, that first jump scare was a good one!
    Cecily
  • I'm not sure what to make of that. At first, I thought the premise was intriguing before I realized that none of our characters could die as @Heff pointed out. I'll be along for the ride, regardless, but I'm not sure how much mileage this format will have.

Also, I immediately hate Lettie Mae, and that makes me dislike Angela Bassett.
    Stephsstacks
    Yes - I think this is the best AHS opener I have seen yet. The wait was worth it. I really liked seeing some of my faves such as Andre Holland from the The Knick and Lettie May from True Blood. I also liked the Blair Witch references, especially with the upcoming sequel.
    Michelle
    I think "My Roanoke Nightmare" is the show within the show, and that the real story eventually will be about the actors and actresses and production of it. Think about it: of the "real people" that are not part of the dramatic reenactment, only one of them is a series (semi-)regular and ALL of the stars of AHS are in the reenactment. I kept waiting for someone to yell "cut" and have the camera zoom out to show a production crew and the actors breaking character and I'm convinced it could still happen. 
  • StoodawgStoodawg Kalamazoo, MI
    I didn't even know this was coming out, I just came across it and I didn't see any "coming soon" commercials like the other seasons. It was nice just to see what the premise was without being told ahead of time. I liked the testimonials and how there was different actors in the "reenactment". Like Angela Basset and Letty Mae lady!
  • i don't. know. if i liked that...  :|

Because the theme of this season is literally "?" I have no idea where this concept is going but I hope they just go really crazy with it because I don't want to just see a new show within a show every week. I worry that is what it will be though. Writing a whole narrative for a season is tough work, and I feel like Ryan Murphy and company are losing steam at this point. Probably calling it too early, it could still be cool. It was frustrating watching three great actors just being the talking heads of the episode though. I really love all three of those actors and I wanna see them doing stuff!!!

I like the sort of blair witch, backwoods feel this season could have though.They have covered a lot of "Americna" horror from old hollywood, New Orleans, the circus. I could dig a more east coast, backwoods type story. That shit freaks me out. 
  • lippylippy Australia
    I really enjoyed it. 

I thought the mocumentary and reenacting was campy and fun, but I don't want it to stick around the entire season, like other people have mentioned. It wasn't as in your face as far as other season openers have been, but I have high hopes it will pick up pace. I will definitely be tuning in next week, and can't wait to hear Cecily and ARons hilarious commentary as usual. Ryan Murphy is known for starting strong then stumbling to the end, so maybe this slower start shows a more planned out pace and storyline?

And call me crazy but was the OJ Simpson chase on the tv in the background while Cuba Gooding Jr was watching the security cameras on his phone in the hotel room while the Roanoke people with torches went into the house. Maybe a little Murphy wink. Or maybe just background tv, I do remember when I lived in the states you guys like to air car chases live on tv a lot. We don't really do that in Australia. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • First thought. Cuba Gooding Jr is really bad at auctions...
    hisdudeness915KingKobralippy
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I was bored shitless. There was nothing about this first episode that made me want to watch again next week. :-/
    hypergenesbaberry89
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Intriguing first ep in my opinion, looking forward to seeing where the show goes. Happy to see that Sarah Paulson and Angela Bassett have already done more worthwhile acting than they did for the whole of Hotel, though I seem to be in the minority with my hate for that season.

As for the tension being lost by having the talking heads/re-enactment trope, I don't mind it at all. They did the same thing for a lot of True Detective S1 and I never felt that show was lacking because of it.
  • i think it's way too early to 'call it' - it's just the first episode and we have an entire season to go. I don't think the documentary 'interviews' will last much longer before shit gets even more real - they're better and craftier than that. We all know Murphy and Falchuk can create some freaky shit (raining human teeth, piggy boy anyone?) and have done for 5 years now, so I'm excited to see where this goes.
  • NathanNathan Winterfell, The North, Westeros
    I'm getting Asylum vibes from this season.

I love the setting, the characters, the tone.

Should probably regulate my expectations for the rest of the season though. 

Hopeful for the season, excited for the podcast.
  • UnderwoodUnderwood Philadelphia, PA
    That episode was actually kind of scary, which American HORROR Story hasn't been in a while. I love the "haunted back woods" theme too. Good first episode for sure.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 2016
    The whole documentary style is definitely some type of commentary on the explosion of reality haunted shows. Celebrity Ghost Stories, The Haunting Of, My Haunted House, A Haunting, etc. It's actually not a bad idea because those shows must be popular. Otherwise there wouldn't be a million of them.

I would say the "my Roanoke Nightmare" is just supposed to be the title of this show just like "My Haunted House". EDIT: knowing how crazy and fucked up the shows devolves I wouldn't be surprised if the show is just the start and the real shit happens to the people outside of the show.

Who wants to put bets on the over/under on episode number where it just completely becomes bonkers crazy and takes like 5 different turns into a completely different show than expected? Episode 5?
    TaraC73
  • I enjoyed the first episode but not sure I can take the colony people seriously...when i saw the costumes i just kinda laughed...but there were some very tense moments where I was like WTF is going on!

I know I am reaching but it would be really neat if each episode was a different story reflecting the teasers they showed. Maybe even two episodes per story? I know they mentioned that some of the teasers were fake to troll the audience but that was my first thought after watching the first episode. I just cant wrap my head around the whole season being just about this house and the colony terrorizing this family, it's kinda been done before with murder house. 

I am not a fan of the mockumentary narration and I don't think I can take a whole season of it. 

I am still excited about the season and where its going and how all the actors will fit into the story. I guess we will just have to wait and see, really looking forward to the podcast!
    FYI if you want to see the trailer for 'this season one they dropped it on Twitter:
  • amyja89 said:

Intriguing first ep in my opinion, looking forward to seeing where the show goes. Happy to see that Sarah Paulson and Angela Bassett have already done more worthwhile acting than they did for the whole of Hotel, though I seem to be in the minority with my hate for that season.

I'm with you on hating last season! I tried so hard to get into it but ended up giving up half way through and never even looked up how it ended because I don't care. 

I just watched last night's episode and it seems promising. Like others I hope that they don't stick with the documentary interviews the whole season. I was excited to see the Roanoke/Lost Colony theme as I have always been intrigued with that story. I live about an hour and a half from Roanoke and took many a field trips there in school. The Lost Colony play is pretty good and worth seeing if you ever get the chance! Hoping to see "Croatoan" carved into a post somewhere at some point during the season. 

Excited to hear A.Ron and Cecily's thoughts on the episode! 

Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    This is good news. I dropped Hotel after episode 9, so I am going to watch this on demand.  Here's to some goodness like S1 thru S3.
  • If they get away from the documentary style, I can see getting into this. If it stays on this path, I may nope out. Between their and the commercial breaks it's taking me out of the story. I may try to watch via alternative means without commercials to see if this works better.
  • aberry89aberry89 California
    edited September 2016
    I hope they go into the history of the Roanoke colony, I am sure they will - lots of creepy and haunted fodder there. If this season keeps the more subdued tone, with little peaks of creepiness like teeth rainstorms I could see myself really getting into the historical aspect of it. 

The more I think about it, the show within a show was clever, but SOOO not taken to it's campy conclusion.  How can a series that thrives off camp do an reenactment that is so serious and non-reenactment like? I wanted horrible acting, B-Grade camera work, and ridiculous narrators, like those Ghost Shows do. All I could think about was how much of a better job Nick Kroll did on his show parodying that particular genre. I know it's not meant to be comedy but they could have been so much more creative with it. It was just like a regular episode interupted by talking heads...?
    Do you guys remember how certain @Heff was last year that John was the TCK? I am that certain that "My Roanoke Nightmare" is not the theme of the season; it's a red herring and the real story will be Sarah Paulson and Cuba Gooding as the actors who played these characters on the fake show. It's obvious that there's not enough story there to sustain and the docu-drama shtick isn't going to work for 12 or 13 episodes and they know it!
    TaraC73Underwood
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Solid solid episode but I may be biased because I bailed last season after 6 episodes. Not a fan of the documentary style either but I can't imagine they'd keep it up like this. Pretty excited to see where this goes.
    TaraC73