Official Direct Thread: David Fincher - Epilogue (General Discussion)

Welp, our journey through David Fincher's films has come to a close. We witnessed crippling tension, dim lighting, smooth camera moves, awesome soundtracks, the inside of refrigerators, and twisty turns. How would you rank David Fincher's films? What are your favorite Fincher-isms? Discuss! 

GeorgeBebeni

Comments

• Hey Boys, I have been following you since episode 1. This david fincher season has been my favrotite so far.

Id like to say somthing that will sound strange but please go with me.
    Finchers exsperence on alien 3 seemed to set the psychologcal standard for what we have goten from his work since.

In regards to
    1.having a fear of making another Bad movie.
    Now I dont think A3 is aweful, Buts its not a good film. Its certainly not the kind of film we would want to start of our career off making. after reading though a fair few transcribed interviews with fincher  it seemed to me that he thought all his dreams of being a movie director where over and that the thing he thought would jump start his career killled it.

2. being exstreemly sinical about life
    thought out all his works there are notes of Existential Nihilism. being crushed/pushed around and bullyed by fox Studios would have made a lesser man give up. which fincher almost did, but fincher kept going with a wondered mentality that, semmed to sceam becuase of how bad life is, if there is a god, he must hate you, but you cant beleive there is one becuase of how bad life is, so therefor life is meaninless. almost all of his work seems to charcherise these traids on some level. the sceptic, the free thinker, the rouge. he is also known for beeing a hard director to give notes to as he dosnt take on a lot of what is said.  I remember reading in an interview he said that becuase his name is on the poster he does give a F%c&  what producers want. he dosnt usally trust them becuase if the movie sucks they wont get blamed he will. he is a first beleiver of directos getting to mcuh praise when a movie is good and too mcuh blame when it is bad. 

DaveyMacGeorge
  • Fincher is nothing less than a master in my eyes. His best skillset is pacing; his movies are very long but never feel that way. The fact that he can still surround himself with the top talent despite the fact that his shoots are notoriously tough/demanding is a testament to the respect he has in the industry. I'm so happy you guys reviewed his films and can't wait to see who you cover next.
    DaveyMac
  • FreddyFreddy Denton, Texas
    edited September 2016
    I like everything he's done that I've seen, but he's one of those directors where I don't actively follow his work. That being said, if there was ever someone to direct a movie with Charles Dance as the lead, it's David Fincher. Something that takes place in the future, possibly post-apocalyptic, would be pretty sweet.
    DaveyMac
  • Firstly, I'd like to say that I deeply regret not discovering your podcast earlier. You guys have so far covered my top favorite directors, and got me into rewatching their work. I wish I had found you earlier so I could watch each movie along the podcast. I'll throw in Wes Anderson as a suggestion for future podcasts.

Admittedly, I am a Fincher fangirl,it's been a blast rewatching his stuff.

He really has a unique style of shooting, or should I say aesthetic. 
    It always stands out, and is as recognizable as Tarantino's style is.
    Lightning, music and pacing always play a big part and set the mood for the a film, as well as great casts.
    He also does twists incredibly well, the stunt they pulled with Seven and Kevin Spacey not being listed in the cast was brilliant (take a hint Game of Thrones). 

Credit is due for picking the right screenplays, that's a talent on it's own. 
    He has the Midas' touch with these things, it's insane.

Fincherisms..

The way he portrays women should be noted. They can be just as flawed, intelligent, sensible or evil as a man can be, not the typical hollywood broad that can crush you with her luscious thighs, but still needs someone to save her. 

I think he just loves architecture. I think he emphasizes houses in almost all his movies, even Marla's shitty apartment had personality. 

Rain and fridges...

I think he's really smart about giving little clues in his "big twist" movies. Tyler flashing in some frames before he's even introduced, the different pens when Amy is writing in her diary during the first half of Gone Girl, come to mind.

Of course there's a lot more that won't come to me until after I've posted the comment. 

Looking forward to your next episode :)

Wahl-eDaveyMac
  • DaveyMacDaveyMac Tokyo
    edited September 2016
    I actually was not really looking forward to this series on Fincher as I always thought I was not really a big fan and didn't have much interest in re-watching his work. However, I was completely wrong. I am so happy that you guys covered him as I have come away with tremendous respect for him as a filmmaker and a craftsman. I still probably wouldn't place him among my personal favorites, but there is no denying that he is one of the best filmmakers working today.

One of the things that has really stood out to me film after film is that he is a master of setting up the characters and worlds in which the stories take place. Often with really striking visuals and little to no dialogue, unless dialogue is an essential part of the character/story. There is never a wasted moment and he's always very economical. Of course the screenwriters should get credit as well, but Fincher always executes it flawlessly.

I also love the little character moments that have nothing to do with anything really, but add a human touch to what is often very dark material. I am thinking of Morgan Freeman and the "wine" glass that Brad Pitt gives him Se7en for example. I remember you guys talking about a lot of moments like that throughout, but that's the one that sticks out in mind.

Another thing I have noticed watching all of these films back to back is just how cynical many of them are and I think @tebster 's comment is interesting way to look at it. I also like that quote about directors getting too much praise or too much blame. I totally agree with that. 

Lastly, it's always tough, but here's my ranking of his films. Not talking objective quality here. Just my experience watching them. I basically found all of the films compelling, though, for a variety of reasons.
    1. The Social Network
    2. Zodiac
    3. Gone Girl
    4. Se7en
    5. Fight Club
    6. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo 
    7. Panic Room
    8. The Game
    9. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button (I don't have a problem with Fincher's directing here. I just don't like the script/story all that much.)
    10. Alien 3 (I actually like Alien 3. I really didn't like it the first time I watched it. Then I saw the Assembly Cut and liked it a little more. This time, I actually found myself enjoying it. I still have huge problems with it, but I was surprised at how engaged I was with it.)
    BebeniWahl-etebster