Miniature Painting/Modeling/Gaming

HeffHeff Connecticut
I thought it would be interesting to see if there are any other Bald Move community members how are into collecting, modeling, painting and gaming with tabletop miniatures, and to have a space to share images and tips with each other!

I've played a few different miniature games over the years, including Warhammer 40k (which I no longer play), Warmachine/Hordes (my current main game) and Freeblades (on hiatus), as well as painting up miniatures for various D&D characters.

Here are a couple of pictures to get things started, but I've got plenty more I can share, if there's an interest in seeing more or discussing the topic!

MurderbearHatoriantom_g

Comments

• A_Ron_HubbardA_Ron_Hubbard Cincinnati, OH
    Wow, that's really high quality work.  I'm more of an enthusiast.  I don't play the games, but I do enjoy painting mini's for the relaxation and zen of it.  I should do it far more often.
    Hatorian
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Thanks! My stuff is by no means high end, but I've been painting for at least 7 years or so, and over time I've reached a level which I would consider intermediate. I'd like to eventually get better, but I'm happy with how my pieces come out, and they look good during a game.

I've got more stuff I can share later on, if you or anybody else is interested.

What sort of models do you paint? Do you have any you'd like to share? 
  • Cool looking.  I like the games, but I am horrible at painting.  
  • I did Warhammer waaay back in the day. Had a pretty decent Chaos Marines set. Then I got into military models. Unfortunately don't have any pictures as it was something I packed up and left in Australia when we moved to Singapore. Haven't done any in a while though. Definitely dont have that level of skill. That's a great job man.
  • tom_gtom_g WV
    edited September 2016
    1:48 scale plastic WWII aircraft has been a lifelong hobby.

Current project is a Midway TBD-1 (sorry - phone photo)

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    edited September 2016
    @Doctor_Nick Thanks!

@Hatorian If you ever come across pictures (or get your hands on your models) I'd love to see them. I played Chaos Marines and later Orks during my 40k days. What military models/games were you talking about? I know some of the guys at the game shop I play at used to play a game called Flames of War, but I never got into it myself.

@tom_g I never got into model cars/planes/etc myself, but I can appreciate the parallels to what I do! I think the reason why I enjoy one but not the other is because I'm painting pieces for an army which I then get to play a game with; I think in my mind painting a piece for (as I assume) display only is harder to stay motivated about and thus not as efficient a time expenditure. Do you collect specific sets of pieces (WWII German, for example), or just individual models that interest you? Do you go for a fully painted, realistic look, or is it more about the assembly for you?

@akritenbrink I'll take some additional pictures to post up sometime between tonight and the weekend; the models start as various parts (some models consist of only two or three pieces, while others are upwards of 30) which are made of grey plastic or white metal and need to be assembled - I paint all of the color, including the small details like picking out a button. My current painting process involves priming each piece with spray paint (which helps the colors stick to the model), painting the individual parts separately, and then assembling them with super glue. The advantage this gives me is that I can be absolutely certain that I have painted every bit of the model in the colors that I want, and there won't be a place that I can't reach because some other piece is blocking my paintbrush. This makes it take a little longer, but I end up with a series of fully painted pieces which I can assemble like legos.

I'm sure I'll end up painting another model in the next few days, I'll be sure to take some work in progress shots to share with you guys!
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 2016
    I did 1:48 military models like Tom. I'm actually going back to Australia next month So if I have time I'll dig them out. This thread is definitely making me want to get back into it. Like Aron said. It's great just from a relaxation and zen perspective. I'm sure all my paints and glues are spoiled though. They have been sitting for awhile in storage.
  • @Heff - yep - many similarities.  The things I build are styrene plastic and come unassembled.  I assemble, inside and out, and paint (airbrush).  I usually try to achieve a slightly used look, some paint fading, scuffing, exhaust, etc.  The pic I shared was a WIP, without any exterior painting yet.

I don't have a particular subject other than 1:48 scale WWII.  Lately, most have been carrier aircraft.  A Hellcat, Swordfish, Avenger, etc.

One of my oldest friends owns a comics and gaming shop in my town - I've seen others do the sort of thing you shared earlier.  Yours is VERY good!
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    @tom_g when you assemble a piece with internal parts; are there windows or doors which can open to allow you to see the interior? To be honest, if there isn't I think I'd skip those parts!

Have you ever tried using weathering pigment when painting rust/wear/battle damage on your models? I haven't used it myself, but I've seen some pictures where they were used and it really gives a sense of rust/verdigris/wear without looking like flat paint.
  • @Heff

Access doors / panels can be open depending on the subject.  Most of my subjects have large clear canopies that make the cockpit very visible.

Weathering for aircraft usually does not include rust, unless the subject is a wreck.  My weathering usually is to expose the anti-corrosion base paint under the camo, and potentially, bare metal under the anti-corrosion.  The picture below is not mine, but this is like what I'd do (ONLY BETTER).

• HeffHeff Connecticut
    edited September 2016
    @tom_g I've always admired those with the confidence to work wear and rust into their painted models. I am by no means an expert (browse any forum for Warmachine or Warhammer and you'll see REAL expert work) but I'm terrified of messing up a model's paint job and having to strip it down and start over. I'll post up a picture of a model called "the Butcher" from my Warmachine faction; basically a lunatic with a greataxe literally standing on top of corpses! I was really happy with how his paintjob came out, but had initially planned to splatter him all over with blood as well. I scrapped the blood because I couldn't find a great way to do it without the risk of botching what I had already accomplished.

Just judging from the above picture, I'm sure the planes' weathered effects look seriously awesome when done correctly! Do you use any kind of physics to determine where the most weathering would be? I assume in real life certain portions of the plane and its wings wear more than others depending on where the streams of air pass over the paint.

@A_Ron_Hubbard what kind of models do you paint? Would you care to share any pictures?
  • HeffHeff Connecticut

I'm not sure why the picture came out sideways, but here's a "before" shot of the next models up on my painting block. This is a two-model unit on the battlefield; a renegade teenage-to-early-twenties female elf sorceress and her older, foppish human bodyguard, a gunslinger. They're not combat troops and I need to keep them protected, but the elf (Aiyanna) has some really useful supporting spells.

So far, the only thing I've done with the models is to spray them black with primer. I will hopefully get them painted up over the weekend, and I'll do some work in progress shots as I go.
  • HeffHeff Connecticut

I did manage to get the models painted up this weekend, which I'm pretty happy about! I forgot to take in-progress shots, so I had to settle for a couple of pictures once they were done! Even though these are mercenaries and not officially part of my faction's forces, I chose to paint them in my colors. Aiyana is an elf, and the elves have white, purple, black, or blue hair, typically; I chose to paint her hair purple (which will help her stand out a bit) and then painted Holt's neckscarf purple to match, which is supposed to help tie the two models together as a unit.

Questions, comments, criticism are welcome!
  • Very good - light and shadow make them come to life - great work.
    Heff
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    Thanks!

I can take pictures of my brushes etc, my workstation is currently just my kitchen table!

As for detail, you eventually learn that less can be more; oftentimes if you have too much paint on a brush you can end up obscuring the detail or blending it into another color, which you obviously don't want. For Holt's face, for example, what I initially did was paint his whole face with a flesh tone. After that was dry, I painted over the flesh tone with a really thin paint called a "wash", which dulled the flesh tone and pooled in the recesses. After that dried, I carefully painted the raised areas of his flesh (nose, forehead, lips, jawline and chin with the original flesh tone, which pulls the details out but leaves the darker color in the recesses.

I then took a lighter flesh tone and put a couple of small highlights around the topmost areas of flesh, like the tip of his nose, around his brow, and around his jawline. This helps to enhance the realistic/3D aspects of a model, and makes Holt's face look pretty realistic, in my opinion! I am not great at painting eyes without making them look goofy, so I keep the dark wash color in my models' eye sockets, going for a "shadowed" look.

Here are a couple of other models I've recently finished up, too.

imageimage

• @Heff are the paints citadel?  vallejo?
  • HeffHeff Connecticut
    A mix of Citadel and Army Painter. The bright green is Warpstone Glow from Citadel, grey is Administratum Grey from Citadel, black is Abaddon Black from Citadel.

For metals, steel is Ironbreaker from Citadel, bronze/brass/gold is Gehenna's Gold from Citadel. These are washed with Army Painter's Strong Tone wash, then rehighlighted at the edge or tip where appropriate. I also use Strong Tone to color the sand I use for basing.

I have other colors from both ranges I use, but those are the main ones.

• HeffHeff Connecticut
    edited November 2016
    It's been about a month and a half since I posted in here (not sure if anyone's still interested either) but I have been pretty busy and have some more pictures to share!

EDIT: having a bit of trouble sharing, BRB

Welp, Tinypic doesn't want to work, and the forum doesn't seem to like IMGUR either; so here's my IMGUR profile, you can see the images there!

https://imgur.com/user/SkeletalWM