Ghost in the Shell (2017)

edited September 2016 in Movies
Anybody looking forward to this movie? Anybody like the original 1996 one?

I'm weary of film adaptions of popular anime, but these trailers look halfway decent.

Here's the 5 teasers put together:

Here's the intro to the original movie for comparison (NSFW):

Comments

• I don't care for this adaptation. I barely got through the series, something something complex. I hear they are doing an American adaptation for Death Note. I wonder how well the Japanese live action versions are done.
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY
    newest trailer looking pretty good

• jomihajomiha Springfield IL
    I'm one of those nerds that was cringing in the theater when the GITS teaser came on. The scene where Kusanagi roundhouses the dude. "Yeah, that looks cool, because it was cool the first time they did it!" So yeah, I'll stick with the anime version.
  • edited November 2016
    After the new trailer, I've been moved slightly more toward "This movie might be good".

I'm about 90% "This movie's gonna suck, why did they do this"  and 10% "It might be good"

And does every movie need a cliche tagline in the trailer? 
    "They did not save your life, they stole it"     UGH, COME ON!!!!!!
  • Kela15Kela15 Malta, Europe
    The anime film is one of my favorite films ever. It didn't really need a live-action version methinks. Nevertheless, the trailer intrigues me somewhat. Shame the lead didn't go to a Japanese actress though.
  • LukeLuke Central Illinois
    Yeah I'm a pretty big fan of the original anime film.

Why go to all the trouble of recreating the opening and not have the active camouflage?

I also think that basing the whole thing about "you are the first of your kind" in the trailer is a bad sign.

The entire theme of GITS is what does it even mean to be human when you are in an android body that is literally a military model of ones people can buy on the store shelf.

It's about how disposable human life and consciousness becomes when it can be recreated and made artificial.

But I'm sure there movie will turn it into a female lead messiah plot because that is the new trope that is hot in Hollywood.

There are many of these anime adaptations coming, one of them has to be good right?
  • Luke said:

Why go to all the trouble of recreating the opening and not have the active camouflage?

I also think that basing the whole thing about "you are the first of your kind" in the trailer is a bad sign.

The entire theme of GITS is what does it even mean to be human when you are in an android body that is literally a military model of ones people can buy on the store shelf.

It's about how disposable human life and consciousness becomes when it can be recreated and made artificial.

But I'm sure there movie will turn it into a female lead messiah plot because that is the new trope that is hot in Hollywood.

There are many of these anime adaptations coming, one of them has to be good right?

Is it based on the original movie, one or all of the anime series or a collection of everything?
  • Luke said:

Is it based on the original movie, one or all of the anime series or a collection of everything?
    Judging from the trailer, it is pulling a lot of things from the 1995 movie and GitS 2: Innocence.
  • This is probably going to be terrible. I'll probably watch it anyway because of Scarlett Johansson's behind.

Yeah, sometimes I'm a pig.  It is pretty, though.  Biology, man.
  • This, of course, brings up the whitewashing issue. In this, even though the Major has a typically asian sounding name, there is nothing in the source material that says this has to be an asian character. Plus being an android/cyborg could explain a difference in the Major's race (ie asian character in another body). But if and when they make a "hollywood" Akira those characters need to be at least partially asian and it needs to take place in neo-tokyo.