The bad place! NBC?

kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
Was looking forward to the new NBC show The Good Place. Went to watch it, I recorded it. This week I thought was the week all the new season shows started. Seems I recorded episode 3. I don't know when it started but it seems pretty bad. I also watched a few minutes of Superstore. Is this supposed to pass as prime time entertainment? I thought NBC hit rock bottom a season or two ago but wow. The pilot of Good Place is being repeated tonight but I don't know. Is there anything on this network besides football?

Comments

• Frakkin TFrakkin T Currently Offline
    SVU is still killing it 18 seasons in.
    Dee
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    edited September 2016
    kingbee67 said:

Was looking forward to the new NBC show The Good Place. Went to watch it, I recorded it. This week I thought was the week all the new season shows started. Seems I recorded episode 3. I don't know when it started but it seems pretty bad. I also watched a few minutes of Superstore. Is this supposed to pass as prime time entertainment? I thought NBC hit rock bottom a season or two ago but wow. The pilot of Good Place is being repeated tonight but I don't know. Is there anything on this network besides football?

I saw Kristen Bell being interviewed and she said they were airing 3 episodes this week, 2 on one night and then one on its regular night, and compared it to binge watching. Hey... That's not how binge watching works, guys.
  • If you want a really great and interesting new series to watch on NBC, check out This is Us.  They're only one episode in, and you can catch it On Demand.  It airs Tuesday nights after The Voice.  The premise is the stories of these handful of people across the U.S. who all share the same birthdate, and the premiere is set on the day they all turn 36.  One is an actor who is coming to the realization that Hollywood only wants to exploit his looks and body, and he's a deeper individual than that and wants to do more serious work.  Another is his sister, who is struggling with being overweight and finding love.  Another is a man who is a successful businessman who, as a baby, was abandoned at a fire hall and who has now used a P.I. to find his real father, and who begins to try to connect with him.  Yet another is a man whose wife is about to give birth to triplets, and they lose one of the babies during childbirth (stillborn), and they adopt a baby who was abandoned at a fire hall.

The cast is comprised of some really good actors, including Milo Ventimiglia (Heroes), Gerald McRaney (too much to list), Sterling K. Brown (The People vs. OJ Simpson), Mandy Moore (singer & actress), Ron Cephas Jones (Mr. Robot), Chris Sullivan (The Knick), Justin Hartley (Smallville), Chrissy Metz (AHS Freak Show), and others.

Highly recommended!
    Dee
  • I've only seen the pilot so far, but I really liked The Good Place. I thought it was fun and interesting and had that sort of Mike Schur charm going. I found myself wondering how the premise would hold over time, but I was really happy with the pilot, especially since it seems like with his shows they always seem to come out of the gates a little slow and get really good as all the pieces gel together.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    I liked The Good Place - I wouldn't be falling over myself to watch it every week, but it was charming and funny.

I also liked This Is Us, although it made me sadly realise I am officially a Middle Aged Mum now, because I have avoided that genre of television for years (Parenthood, Brothers and Sisters, etc) on the basis that "this is the kind of shit my mum loves".

I watched Superstore's first season when it was on, and although I didn't mind it, I am surprised it got a second season.
    Elisa
    I watch Superstore but only because I'm rooting for America Ferrera and want to be there for her in this, her time of need.
    Elisa
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    I tried with This Is Us but I just can't get into that schmaltzy type of drama.
    When I see ads for This is Us, I just think WHY THE FAT CHICK GOTTA BE SAD???

Signed, A Happy Fat Chick
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 2016
    Because, Angie, not all overweight people are happy with themselves or their lives, especially when they feel alone/outsider/worthless/unlovable/unhealthy/etc. This character depiction is REAL. I have a best friend who is going through it. The struggle is real. (And yes, she's doing something about it, but my point is that not everyone is as well-adjusted or unaffected.)
    Sure, but we don't see a range on TV really.
    edited September 2016
    To the contrary. I submit to you: Melissa McCarthy on both Mike & Molly and The Gilmore Girls, Roseanne Barr on Roseanne (although she was a bit of both), Aidy Bryant on SNL, and Courtney Cox's 'Fat Monica' on Friends. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that came to mind.
    Ok, well I'm sorry I made fun of your show. :) I haven't watched it.
  • You didn't, I'm just saying it was a more realistic depiction of an overweight person and I'm glad it's getting a spotlight shone on it. I thought it brave of the actress to do the stripped-down-to-her-underwear on the bathroom scale. Now *that* you don't see often.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    Michelle said:

To the contrary. I submit to you: Melissa McCarthy on both Mike & Molly and The Gilmore Girls, Roseanne Barr on Roseanne (although she was a bit of both), Aidy Bryant on SNL, and Courtney Cox's 'Fat Monica' on Friends. I'm sure there are others, but these are the ones that came to mind.

To be fair, both Molly and Fat Monica were not happy with themselves in the sense that they both lost the weight. But yeah, Melissa in Gilmore Girls is a good example.

I liked the character (and the actress) in This Is Us, but I must admit, I did roll my eyes a bit at the idea of yet another sad fat person. I mean, it's not that it's not realistic, but we do see that SO often on TV with women, and yet not that often with men. It's kind of annoying.
    edited September 2016
    They did lose the weight, but they weren't miserable every day either.

Again, I'll say that the reason you see it so often on tv is because it is more realistic. At the same time, there is the trope of the jolly fat man so...there ya go.
  • HatorianHatorian Dagobah
    edited September 2016
    SNL starts up soon. Bout the only NBC show I watch.
    kingbee67
  • Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    I really liked The Good Place. I haven't seen the third episode yet. But, it was really fun and not something you see a lot of in television. This is the type of show that just wouldn't have been made if it TV wasn't currently in a golden age. 

Whether it can keep this momentum...who knows. It seems like it could be a bit too quirky to garner a huge audience. But I hope it gets some attention. 
    Travis
  • Reviving this thread ... I'm a big Michael Schur fan and the guys on the Watch pod were talking about it as an optimistic show to watch after the election. My wife and i binged it over the weekend and it really grew on us. Ted Dansen is delightful (as always), there are a lot of really funny one-off jokes as you'd expect from Schur - pretty much anything with Janet is great. And they actually mix in some interesting thoughts about ethics and philosophy.

Anyway, if you're looking for something light and funny but with some heart, go for it.
    Travis
  • I really find myself liking this show more and more with each episode. One of my favorite things running now, probably my favorite current sitcom (apologies to the Goldbergs). Between this Parks, the Office, and Brooklyn 99 I'm pretty convinced that Mike Schur shits gold. Great performances too. I'm a big fan of Janet and I love her story from the last episode. I can't wait to see how they play with that.
  • Loved the new episode. Poor, poor Chidi. This show is packed full of so many hilarious one-liners.

"Congratulations, Chidi. You filibustered recess."

“Can I kiss you, or will I be electrocuted?” -> "Only one way to find out!"

"Stupid Nick's closed down because a pelican fell in the flash fryer, but he opened a new place called Ugly Nick's Meat Trench."

"You're gonna want to stay away from open flames and altercations at outlet malls."

"And right now, I'm just a girl... towering over a boy... asking him to admit he loves me."

"Ok. What?"
    Travispavlovsbell
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I've grown really fond of this show. I'm usually put off by shows that burn through plot, but they've really balanced character development, plot, and humor so well that the pacing is perfect. I'm actually bummed that there are only three episodes left.
    Travis
  • http://uproxx.com/tv/the-good-place-season-2/

The Good Place has officially been renewed, woohoo! As it sure as shit better have been, because that twist at the end of S1 was amazing. I think this would definitely be in my top 10 shows of 2016.

Seriously, anyone else see the finale?? The way Ted Danson changed his facial expression after Elenor figured out what was going on, so good. I need to binge re-watch the whole season and see all the hints that they were planting along the way.
    TravispavlovsbellKatieAnfinsen
  • I saw Sepinwall tweet that out a few minutes ago. Totally made my day! I can't wait for season 2.

The finale was fantastic! The lava monster was a nice touch as well. What a fantastic season. One of the best new shows in a while.
    Oh, I rewatched it the weekend following the finale. I'm not going to claim that it's on the level of Arrested Development as far as layered jokes-within-jokes, but the rewatch was rewarding on more than just a spotting hints level.

Such a good show. I can't wait to see what's in store for S2.
    Travis
    edited January 30
    Not to get off-topic too much, but The Good Place inspired me to check out its lead-in, Superstore. It doesn't have the depth or intricate plotting of TGP, but it's quite funny, moving, and the cast is great. NBC's Powerless debuts next week and looks like it's worth a look. 

NBC might be getting back on track with comedies, and we could all use something to make us smile and laugh nowadays.
    Elisa
  • @pavlovsbell Thanks for the recommendation. I had heard some good things and was really interested in checking it out, but my wife watched one and wasn't into it so I just kind of let it drop. I'll re-add it to my mental queue.
    Thanks!
    pavlovsbell
    You're welcome, @Travis ;

Lmk how you like it. I started with the S2 premiere and was confused when I got to the second episode. Apparently, the premiere is a standalone Olympics-centric episode that is out of continuity, just to let you know. The second season is available on Hulu and NBC's website.
    Travis
  • Thanks @pavlovsbell! Will do!
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited May 15

Not to get off-topic too much, but The Good Place inspired me to check out its lead-in, Superstore. It doesn't have the depth or intricate plotting of TGP, but it's quite funny, moving, and the cast is great. NBC's Powerless debuts next week and looks like it's worth a look. 

NBC might be getting back on track with comedies, and we could all use something to make us smile and laugh nowadays.
    Wanted to shoot out another thanks, @pavlovsbell. My wife and I finally tried out Superstore (well another try from my wife after watching the pilot and figuring it wasn't really for her). We started at the beginning of season 2 and totally fell down a hole over the weekend. It's a really fun show. I'm totally into it. The Olympic episode, particularly the beginning, was fantastic. They cast all of it really well. Myrtle is a big favorite, and I love seeing the animal control dude from Parks getting some good work in. He's great. I also thought it was really fun that they brought America Ferrera's dad from Ugly Betty in to play her father on Superstore. Anyways, it's a really fun show. Great call on that one.
    pavlovsbell
    Glad y'all are enjoying, @Travis. It's a fun, sweet show. Not as brilliant as The Office or Parks & Rec, but that's fine. I really like and enjoy all of the characters (except Bo is a too broad for my taste). I'm looking forward to seeing what they do in S3.
    Travis