Let's fantasize for just a moment...

akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
Let's fantasize for just a moment that Mr. Robot is a show about human and societal complexity in a contemporary world of machines and data. That there is no possible way there will ever be a sci-fi element. That there is no way Elliott and Tyrell were ever the same person. That many of the theories are false and that Esmail is creating a totally different show than what Reddit thinks he is creating. 

What would you say about Season 2 then?
darwinfeeshy

Comments

• If that is to be the theme of the show, then I (still) consider season 2 to be a massive dropping of the ball as far as character development. I don't know how else to experience a fictional scenario on television other than to put myself into the characters' shoes and empathize with them. Angela being unreadable is not conducive to understanding her character. F Society being simultaneously technically skilled and forgetful/naive to the extreme (they set up their criminal computer lab up in a building that had "F SOCIETY" on its front) doesn't mesh, in my opinion. No way Mobley is so careless with his name on the party flyer, or if nothing else, no way Darlene lets that one get by her. The whole Ray the evil warden storyline, if nothing else ever comes of it, has been done many times already, regardless of any artful execution. We also have gotten surprisingly little information about what day-to-day life has been like for the average individual; I am glad that the show seems to not be skipping the "downfall of society" part of the narrative, it just would be nice if we could be a little more sure that the show is on the same page as us...
    akritenbrinkMister_Kevindarwinfeeshy
  • Personally, I thought besides Elliot's psychological issues the show was very grounded. Jim even said that a couple podcasts ago. Although he admitted hints of other possibilities he seemed to think this was a grounded show. Now it seems Aron and the Internet have looked way too far between the lines and are disappointed. I've only listened to a few minutes of last podcast and sorry to hear their reactions. I went and listened to "the watch" with Sam esmail and it helps explain a lot of the seasons direction.

I really liked the season. I didn't mind that the plot moved slowly and paused at times. I appreciate a different approach to film making.

Very excited for season 3!
    DdmhicksakritenbrinkElisaAshley
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    edited September 2016
    Sometimes I feel like people don't talk enough about things that are there on the surface like Elliott's mental illness, and instead get caught up in the mysteries of "what's real" and what may be coming next, as if all this stuff like time travel makes more sense than a human with mental illness. I think we're supposed to feel that confusion along with Elliott and the frustration of not knowing is part of his character arc. But people seem to internalize that and get angry with the show.

I do think there are problems with season 2, but I also feel like the discussion gets so off track I can't figure out how to even think about what I think the problems are, if that makes sense.
    ElisaAshley
  • edited September 2016

Sometimes I feel like people don't talk enough about things that are there on the surface like Elliott's mental illness, and instead get caught up in the mysteries of "what's real" and what may be coming next, as if all this stuff like time travel makes more sense than a human with mental illness. I think we're supposed to feel that confusion along with Elliott and the frustration of not knowing is part of his character arc. But people seem to internalize that and get angry with the show.

I do think there are problems with season 2, but I also feel like the discussion gets so off track I can't figure out how to even think about what I think the problems are, if that makes sense.

With all due respect, how is mental illness "on the surface"? They can make up literally anything they want. Elliot really shouldn't be the main character; rather a part of an ensemble, then the possibility that all of it is being imagined by Elliot is straight out off the table.
    I mean the show has made it clear that Elliott is suffering from mental illness.
    Elisa
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited September 2016

People are uncomfortable with mental illness, and popular media rarely depicts mental illness well. Despite Sam Esmail discussing Elliot as a person who suffers from a variety of disorders, inspired by Esmail's own history and by a friend of his, people are more comfortable jumping to theories about parallel universes and time travel. That in itself says a lot about the stigmatization of mental illness.
    akritenbrinkhypergenesbElisaAshley
    @pavlovsbell yeah, I agree
    edited September 2016
    @Melia004
    I think Angela being inscrutable makes sense. I think she's in so deep, and she's confused, and also trying to dig out, playing both sides or many sides, so I'm still with it. Now if sometime along the way we find out she's some kind of mastermind, I shall be disappointed.

About fsociety and their general cluelessness, I don't know how to approach that. That's something I would rely on a podcast or others to explain. I don't know that hacker world.

The Ray storyline.. I'm not sure there are ever new stories, just stories told in new ways. That having been said, I can't defend it strongly because I feel sort of meh about both that and the Vera story from last season. I guess we learn from these stories that Elliott's ethics are relative to outcomes. I.e. ends justify the means. But it seems very drawn out to get there. I'd like to hear someone else defend them in a way I can jump on board with though, since I like the show so much. :)
    Also i'm wondering where the lucid dreaming fits into this. I'm thinking there's a possibility that the whole 2-episode finale except the Arizona scene was Elliott's lucid dream. If so it's maybe not meant to be real. But the joanna/scott Knowles stuff wouldn't really fit there, would it?
  • Doctor_NickDoctor_Nick Terminus
    edited September 2016
    Whiterose and Angela don't make sense as a lucid dream. The motivation for that meeting was wholly consistent with Whiterose and Price's relationship, nothing to do with Elliott.

Whiterose and Angela don't make sense as a lucid dream. The motivation for that meeting was wholly consistent with Whiterose and Price's relationship, nothing to do with Elliott.

You are probably right. I just have a bug in my brain because I am wondering which, if any, scenes were Elliott's "lucid dreaming."
  • AshleyAshley Atlanta, GA

I really enjoyed season 2. Definitely more so than season 1, which I binged, and that rarely happens.

I will say that internet theories probably stilted my enjoyment of it a little. Knowing Elliott was likely in jail from the first episode left a bit to be desired about the entire first half of the season. (Everyone I know that doesn't listen to podcasts and/or go on Reddit had their minds blown, lol.) But I just love the exploration of Elliott's mental state, the swing-for-the-fences artistry of this show - which, yes, can be pretentious at times, but it's usually quite beautiful, all wrapped up in a sort of crime drama. When people start talking about time travel and AI robot plots, I just tune out. I think (or hope) this show is a bit more straightforward than that. But either way, I love this show a lot more now than I did after finishing S1.

• Garthgou81Garthgou81 Placerville, CA
    Yeah, its one of those things where as much as I love J&A, if I knew less about the show, I may have enjoyed it more. So hearing reddit theories on the podcast completely killed that twist. I am sure there is no way I'd have seen that coming. This isn't a sleight to J&A whatsoever. Listening to their chemistry and theories is what we get when we listen to a podcast about a show. But it does make me wonder if I will listen again during season 3...(I am sure I will).
    Yeah- I might not pay attention to internet stuff or podcasts for a while in season 3. I was thinking of listening on a lag. It did kind of interfere with my enjoyment of the show as well. It's both having theories being blown (jail), hearing theories I think are preposterous and have no evidence, and having all the online stuff just completely ignore or refuse to discuss what is interesting about the show (mental illness, the artistry of it, characterizations). I also get somewhat put off by this overly angry and emotional response to the show. I guess it's not uncalled for because it seems a lot of people here feel this way too, so that's fine, but it's not for me.