What movie lines have stuck with you over the years?

I'm just wondering what lines stick with people and even make it into daily thoughts or conversation. I'm sure it's similar for many of you, but every day there are at a least handful of times where the situation/conversation at hand will make me instantly recall some line from a movie or tv show. Here are just a few of mine below. 

"You're killing me Smalls." - Ham in The Sandlot (A good one as a parent)

"I've abandoned my child!" - Daniel Plainview in There Will Be Blood (This started coming up after I became a parent and is usually said in a joking manner.)

"He chose...poorly." - The last Templar knight in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (Anytime a bad choice is made a restaurant this pops immediately in my head.)

"Ah fuck it, dude. Let's go bowling." - Walter Sobchak in The Big Lebowski (lines from this one in particular crop up in my daily life more often than any other film)

"What would you say you do here?" - One of the Bobs in Office Space 
ghm3TaraC73TravispavlovsbellBigSmell

Comments

• edited September 2016
    Great thread idea. Mine aren't really things I think of or integrate daily mostly just funny lines that are easily recalled.

"Watch out for your corn hole bud."
    -Office Space

"May I take your hats, your coats, and your swastikas?"
    -The Producers

"Go away 'baitin!" 
    -Idiocracy

"What are your qualifications?"
    "Rape murder arson and rape."
    "You said 'rape' twice."
    "I like rape."
    -Blazing Saddles

DaveyMacTravis
  • "That's too bad...'cause you were the only person that I knew in New York." - When Harry Met Sally

"...we was like peas and carrots." - Forrest Gump (just one of the many memorable quotes from this movie)

"Get busy livin', or get busy dyin'." - The Shawshank Redemption

TaraC73Travisdarwinfeeshy
  • Is it wrong that I have so many in my head from Doc Holliday in Tombstone.  All said in my very worst "Englishman doing the accent of a man from Georgia"

"Evidently Mr Ringo is an educated man.  Now I really hate him"
    "I'm in my prime"
    "I'm your huckleberry"
    "Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave"
    "Maybe poker's just not your game Ike.  I know.  Let's have a spelling contest"
    "You're no daisy at all.  Poor soul, you were just too high strung"
    "I'm dying. How are you?"
    "Why Kate, you're not wearing a bustle.  How lewd"
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds"
    "Nonsense, I have not yet begun to defile myself"
    "Wyatt if you were my friend, if you ever had the slightest feeling for me, leave now,,,please" (sniffle)

Though I do also geek out for Batman's response to the Joker's comment to Rachel in "Dark Knight"
    Joker "a little fight in you, I like that" 
    Batman "then you're gonna love me"

DeeTravisdarwinfeeshyjomiha

• If you hold back anything, I'll kill ya. If you bend the truth or I think you're bending the truth, I'll kill ya. If you forget anything, I'll kill ya. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. Now, do you understand everything I've just said? 'Cause if you don't, I'll kill ya!

- LOCK, STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS
    Travis
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA
    Anything from Friday, Training day, Rush Hour 2, Happy Gilmore,Nacho Libre, and Borat.
    But one that's really stuck with me as I've gotten older...

"It's not what you know. It's what you can prove."
    Training Day
    Travis
  • Tyler_DurdenTyler_Durden London
    edited September 2016
    @trippy honestly I was at the point where if I didn't stop there, I was never going to stop!

Travis
  • kingbee67kingbee67 Los Angeles Ca.
    Mongo like candy.
    Doctor_NickTravis
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    "I feel like a pig shat in my head." - Withnail and I.
    DaveyMacTravis
  • Yes it is.....quite a view - Saving Private Ryan
    Travis
  • I throw " precious bodily fluids" in wherever I can. And "I don't avoid the company of women, Mandrake, but I do deny them my essence."
    DaveyMacDoctor_NickTravisAntManBeeelgat0voodoorat
  • Is the Colonel's underwear a matter of national security?
    - A Few Good Men
    Travis
  • Nice Guy, I don't give shit, good father, fuck you, go home and play with your kids!
    -Glengary Glen Rosss
    Doctor_NickTravis
  • I don't like my job and, I don't think I'm gonna go anymore.
    -office space

TaraC73TravismileswarrinBigSmellMelonusk
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    Oh my god I could write a books with tv and movie lines that creep into my every day thoughts and conversations! Here are a few:

You're gonna need a bigger boat. -Brody, Jaws (I say this often LOL)

PC LOAD LETTER? WHAT THE FUCK DOES THAT MEAN!? -Michael Bolton, Office Space
    (Say this often too, or variation of it. Because my computer and printer suck ass)

Some birds aren't meant to be caged; their feathers are just too bright. -Red, Shawshank Redemption

Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself. -Robin Williams Character in Good Will Hunting

Sometimes the past catches up with you, whether you want it to or not. -Tom Hanks character in the Green Mile

Ain't no thing like me except me. -Rocket, Guardians of the Galaxy

This is a fun post!! :)
    TravisBigSmell
    edited September 2016
    "You get a job before sundown or I'm shipping you off to military school with the goddamn Finklesteen shit kid...,son of a bitch!"
    Cheech and Chong Up In smoke. The way he says SOB, I say it that way all the time.
    I just realized that it was the "we got a failure to communicate" guy Strother Martin that said that.
    DummyTravis
  • DeeDee Adelaide
    My brother and I used to say "I will gouge your eyes out with my thumbs, I shit you not, you freak" at random moments for years. (Best In Show)
    Travis
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2016

Oh man. Great thread.

Probably my biggest three:
    "Fuck me gently with a chainsaw!" from Heathers
    "Dishes are done, man" from Don't Tell Mom the Babysitter's Dead.
    "Now I'm going to go hump the fridge" from Wet Hot American Summer. Also, it may not be a quote per say, but I'll often just break into "Show me the fever, into the fire, taking it higher and higher. Nothing to fear. It's only desire. Taking you higher and higher. Ooh-ooh-wooh!" every now and again in my daily life.

EDIT: (Amy Poehler says in awe) "You like fiction books?!" from They Came Together.
    (then Paul Rudd's part, just because it's so great) "Hey, just because I work for a large corporation doesn't mean I can't like fiction books. I mean, fiction books is one of my favorite kinds of books."

AntManBeeTaraC73
  • Yes. Love this thread.

There are so many.

"A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl." - Citizen Kane

"Hey, don't knock masturbation. It's sex with someone I love." - Annie Hall

TravisDaveyMac

• If you hold back anything, I'll kill ya. If you bend the truth or I think you're bending the truth, I'll kill ya. If you forget anything, I'll kill ya. In fact, you're gonna have to work very hard to stay alive, Nick. Now, do you understand everything I've just said? 'Cause if you don't, I'll kill ya!

- LOCK, STOCK AND TWO SMOKING BARRELS

Hatorian
  • @DaveyMac Great thread idea!!

The first two that pop in my head are these:

"Whoa-ho-ho, look at it roll. Now we can watch Jackie Gleason while we eat!!" from Back to the Future. Damn near anytime I make something roll, this line is guaranteed to come out.

"Is this some kind of sick,twisted joke?" from Summer School. This mostly gets used when my wife is trying to get me to go somewhere that I don't wanna go.
    TaraC73TravisDaveyMac
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited September 2016
    Also, I go bowling a lot so it is not infrequent that some Lebowski pops into my head. I've often found myself saying "I'm throwing rocks tonight!"

On our team the Major League "Juuuuust a bit outside" is referenced almost weekly. Also, not a quote but TV relevant. It's not uncommon for my buddy and I, when things are going really well for our team, to start rocking dances from the Peanuts Gang. For me personally, the kid who does the zombie walk is my move of choice.
    TaraC73AntManBee
  • edited September 2016

"You lost today kid.  But that doesn't mean you have to like it" - Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade

"Out of order? Fuck! Even in the future nothing works!" - Spaceballs 

"Have fun stormin' da castle." - The Princess Bride

TravisTaraC73DaveyMac
    I didn't think I had any but I've always use sayings I got trapped in my head all the time.

"Play some Skynard" from some Mike Judge short. First to have Beavis and Buthead.

"Heineken fuck that! Pabst Blue Ribbon! From Blue Velvet.

"What are they going to say when he's gone, that he was a good man he's a kind man, bullshit man!" Apocalypse Now, the last two curtesy of Dennis Hopper.
    TravisDaveyMac
  • Disappointed, why should I be disappointed, I got rosebushes didn't I, the other guy got 3 million dollars, but I got rosebushes, I mean these are rosebushes..........
    -Rain Man
    TaraC73AntManBee
  • "The things you own, end up owning you."  - Tyler Durden, Fight Club

"You wake up at SeaTac, SFO, LAX. You wake up at O'Hare, Dallas-Fort Worth, BWI. Pacific, mountain, central. Lose an hour, gain an hour. This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time."  Fight Club (Comes to mind when I travel a lot for work)

"What we have here is a failure to communicate"  and "Nobody can eat 50 eggs." from Cool Hand Luke.

That whole "cool girl" speech from Amy Dunne in Gone Girl.

There's so many....
    TravisDaveyMacBigSmell
  • "These are O.R. scrubs." "Oh, are they?"
    pavlovsbelladobo1148voodoorat
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    edited September 2016
    I have nothing profound here. The ones that immediately come to mind are silly quotes that my friends and I sometimes paraphrase to fit the situation if need be.

Mean Girls:
    "That's why her hair is so big. It's full of secrets."

"Irregardless! Ex-boyfriends are just off limits to friends. I mean, that's just like, the rules of feminism!"

“So if you're from Africa, then why are you white?"
    “Oh my god, Karen, you can’t just ask people why they’re white!”

“Stop trying to make fetch happen. It’s not going to happen.”

Dumb and Dumber:
    “You can’t triple stamp a double stamp!”

“So you’re telling me there’s a chance.”

“We got no food, we got no jobs, our pets heads are falling off!”

Just Friends:
    “I’m sorry I’m not poor!”

“What, I’m not supposed to worry about stuff like that. I’m the talent.”

“Not happy!”

“Daddy, we’re down.”
    TravisHatorianTyler_DurdenDaveyMac
  • Travis said:

"These are O.R. scrubs." "Oh, are they?"

I actually choked on my tea while reading this. I think I'm due for a Rushmore rewatch. And now I'm thinking about The Royal Tenenbaums. That has so many memorable lines.

Travis
  • Some awesome choices already in the thread.

"There are rules here! This isn't Nam!" from The Big
    Levowski

"I have a bad feeling about this." from Star Wars

"...And to make a long story short." "Too late." from Clue

Travispavlovsbell