20 Million Downloads Q&A Extravaganza

Comments

• edited October 2016
    @Travis I travel a lot for work and notice these irregularities. I'm from the east coast so I must have been like 22 the first time I went to a Jack in the Box. Fat Burger is interestingly highly international but also only goes as east as like Austin or Chicago or something, unless there's a token one in NYC or Miami or something. Del Taco is another west-cost only chain, and In-n-Out but you probably already knew that one was. I think Hardee's is/was an east coast only one, which became a weird mesh with Carl's Jr. at some point. Did you guys ever have Roy Rogers on the west coast? I don't think it exists anymore but I dunno. Also I think Sonic is a south-east-ish chain. White Castle is a NE chain of course.

There's other regional oddities too like for some reason the superior Utz chip does not make it to the west coast. And the east coast didn't get Fat Tire until like six years ago.

I went to like five Subways in Seattle and not a goddamn one of them had provolone cheese. WTF do you have against delicious provolone Seattleites? You shun it just because it doesn't have vitamin D? 

Ok I will mercifully end my ranting.
    Travis
  • Travis said:

FernNYC17 said:

Michelle said:

Travis said:

What? No love for Jack in the Box? C'mon son!

Right??? Best tacos ever. Sure they're greasy, but still.
    OK, and the best is how they serve them in little paper envelopes so you can eat them in the car. In shame. What?

But they don't have Jack in the Box in the Midwest, at least the part I was from. I think Jack is a West coast thing?

To be fair. It didn't want my list to go on and on and also your right no jack in the box in nyc but I heard good things. I guessing J&A can only pick where they have eaten so I'm curious to see what greasy fast food they have eaten. I believe before jim was a big Taco Bell guy in his younger days.
    It's weird. I didn't know Jack in the Box was so regional. Also, I definitely get that a list of fast food options could get ridiculously long. Just have a soft spot in my heart for good ol' Jack. I literally ate there 5 days a week for about two years because it was right next to the movie theater I worked at in my late teens. Ah, to have a young metabolism again...
    I think they are based in CA. I know some people in my field who work for their corporate and they are in San Diego.

The best thing about Jack in the Box is how you can get tacos, burgers, egg rolls, and breakfast all at the same time lol. It's super shitty though. Now I need some jalapeno poppers kthxbye.

Yeah, I have a friend who worked at corporate in SD too. For some reason I thought it was a nationwide thing. Man, what the fine people who aren't in JitB zones are missing. Your post reminds me of the old "Big Deal" that they used to have back in the day where you'd get a burger, a taco, a small fry, and I think a small drink for like $3. 
    Michelleakritenbrink
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 2016
    ghm3 said:

@Travis I travel a lot for work and notice these irregularities. I'm from the east coast so I must have been like 22 the first time I went to a Jack in the Box. Fat Burger is interestingly highly international but also only goes as east as like Austin or Chicago or something, unless there's a token one in NYC or Miami or something. Del Taco is another west-cost only chain, and In-n-Out but you probably already knew that one was. I think Hardee's is/was an east coast only one, which became a weird mesh with Carl's Jr. at some point. Did you guys ever have Roy Rogers on the west coast? I don't think it exists anymore but I dunno. Also I think Sonic is a south-east-ish chain. White Castle is a NE chain of course.

There's other regional oddities too like for some reason the superior Utz chip does not make it to the west coast. And the east coast didn't get Fat Tire until like six years ago.

I went to like five Subways in Seattle and not a goddamn one of them had provolone cheese. WTF do you have against delicious provolone Seattleites? You shun it just because it doesn't have vitamin D? 

Ok I will mercifully end my ranting.
    I'm just going to come out and say it: In N Out = Totally overrated. Don't get me wrong, it's not like it's bad. It's quite good, but the hype is out of control and it's just never worth the ridiculous lines. When I go through long stretches without fast food In N Out is pretty far down the list of things that I find myself missing. 

It's funny that you mention Subway quirks. We learned that if you order a sandwich in small town Oregon (we did Subway a couple of times going to and from Portland) if you order "light on the mayo" you will first get a super confused, somewhat dirty look and then they will proceed to give you a shit ton of it. If you order mayo without saying anything further you may as well grab your trunks because you'll be swimming in the stuff. 

Del Taco rates pretty high with me. Surprisingly really good fries. Might actually be my favorite fast food fries. Their chicken soft taco game is straight up on point too! I crave those things if it's been a while. We have Sonics down here, but I've only seen one with my own eyes and it's in a busy part of LA. They air a lot of commercials though so I think they must be somewhat prominent in the LA area. I haven't been to one, but I'd like to at some point. Roy Rogers sounds vaguely familiar, but if I've ever seen one it's been many, many years. Do they have Fudruckers outside of So. Cal? Fudruckers is fantastic.

I don't know if Panda qualifies as fast food, but I think it does and bears mentioning. Panda is amazing.
    ghm3
  • edited October 2016
    @Travis Yeah Fudruckers is everywhere, it's quite good, esp for the price.

I know what you mean about In-n-Out. It's delicious but ridiculously overhyped by the zealots. I'd say it's definitely the best in its price range, which is what, maybe 10-15% more expensive than Burger King/etc. I wanna say Five Guys, Fat Burger, etc. are close to twice as expensive.

The notion of being able to get burgers, fries, and tacos all under one roof that isn't a McTacoHut is a strange notion for east coasters. I always get tacos at JitB, they're delicious. I really like Del taco too, I loved their Taco Tuesday deals. I remember eating like six tacos for lunch one Taco Tuesday and it wasn't even two dollars, amazing.

I'm still annoyed that the JitB and Del Taco are gone on Market St. in downtown San Francisco, they were my favorite rare cheap places to eat there. Now you have to schlep up a few blocks west of Union Square to get to a JitB.
    Travis
  • GredalBee said:

Have you guys noticed a difference in your podcasting approach since last year? To me Jim has really opened up, particularly on the H&CF and Mr. Robot podcasts.

Yeah, I was listening to a Mr. Robot cast and thought to myself, "huh, this Jim is a really very intelligent person." It's not that I thought he was unintelligent before, but he was more of a cipher. It's funny how dumb people, you know they're dumb right away, whereas intelligent people get used to hiding in plain sight/still waters run deep.
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 2016
    @ghm3 I forgot to add my one food slam on In N Out. Worst fries on the market. If you get them animal style it's very good because, hell where else can you get your fries with fried onions, pickles, cheese, and thousand island, but the fries themselves are the fuckin worst. Way too thin and puny. You're right though, good value for the quality and they might have my favorite shakes. I do love the JitB tacos too, but truth be told when I go these days (really rarely) I tend to keep it pretty simple. I like Jumbo Jacks, or the Sourdough Jack, or their Spicy Crispy Chicken Sandwich. I've been meaning to try out their new, more involved hamburgers, but it's such a nostalgia play for me that when I go I just feel like I have to grab my old favorites. Also, this thread totally has me craving some Del Taco.

One thing I miss about living in Burbank was having a Fudruckers nearby. It was the first place I tried Ostrich, which is a great burger meat if anyone hasn't tried it before. I'm also just a big fan of customization and the whole vibe of the joint. I miss that place.

Hell yeah Taco Tuesday! That's right, you're in San Francisco. Dude, Ikes Place, man! They opened one in L.A. and I've often thought of taking the hour drive to get to it, but haven't done so yet. Man, that place makes a mean sandwich. It was also super cool for my wife, who's a vegetarian, to get a quality meatball sub (which was a favorite of her's before she stopped eating meat). 
    ghm3
  • pavlovsbellpavlovsbell Brooklyn, NY
    I have never understood the love for In-N-Out. I'm not a fan of fast food burgers (although Shake Shack's are decent), though, because a true burger does not have a thin and/or thoroughly cooked pattie, imo. That's more like a sandwich containing something that once resembled beef.

The best fast food tacos are from Chipotle. (Well, aside from Korean bbq tacos.) Steak burrito bowl (no rice, of course) with hard taco shells on the side. Does anyone else do this, or just me?
    Travis
  • I grill a delicious goddamn burger and steak I'll have you know, but as someone that grinds their own burger meat from short rib and tri-tip and cooks them to perfection on my Weber charcoal grill I can still very much enjoy said thin thoroughly cooked pattie that once resembled meat from Five Guys or wherever thankyouverymuch.

I always get burrito bowls at Chipotle, always 86 the rice filler.
    pavlovsbell
  • TravisTravis CA
    edited October 2016
    I too always opt for the bowl sans the rice. I like the rice, but I'm trying to eat a little better and cutting the rice is a nice, easy little corner to cut. I would probably go with the burrito from time to time, but the same could be said for the tortilla.
    pavlovsbell
    @ghm3 Touché, my friend.image
    ghm3Michelle
  • @Travis Rice is proably the healthiest carb you can eat though FYI, vastly better than a flour or corn tortilla (which should be obvious cause they're delicious :( )
    Travis
  • MichelleMichelle California
    Travis said:

Travis said:

FernNYC17 said:

Michelle said:

Travis said:

What? No love for Jack in the Box? C'mon son!

Right??? Best tacos ever. Sure they're greasy, but still.
    OK, and the best is how they serve them in little paper envelopes so you can eat them in the car. In shame. What?

But they don't have Jack in the Box in the Midwest, at least the part I was from. I think Jack is a West coast thing?

To be fair. It didn't want my list to go on and on and also your right no jack in the box in nyc but I heard good things. I guessing J&A can only pick where they have eaten so I'm curious to see what greasy fast food they have eaten. I believe before jim was a big Taco Bell guy in his younger days.
    It's weird. I didn't know Jack in the Box was so regional. Also, I definitely get that a list of fast food options could get ridiculously long. Just have a soft spot in my heart for good ol' Jack. I literally ate there 5 days a week for about two years because it was right next to the movie theater I worked at in my late teens. Ah, to have a young metabolism again...
    I think they are based in CA. I know some people in my field who work for their corporate and they are in San Diego.

The best thing about Jack in the Box is how you can get tacos, burgers, egg rolls, and breakfast all at the same time lol. It's super shitty though. Now I need some jalapeno poppers kthxbye.

Yeah, I have a friend who worked at corporate in SD too. For some reason I thought it was a nationwide thing. Man, what the fine people who aren't in JitB zones are missing. Your post reminds me of the old "Big Deal" that they used to have back in the day where you'd get a burger, a taco, a small fry, and I think a small drink for like $3. 
    If you want to go way back in the day, and I'm not sure if this was before your time, but my first job was at Jack and they had dinners in a box. You could get steak, shrimp, or (I think) chicken. The steak was sooooooooo good. (This was in '86.)
    Travis
  • The best food joint is Portillos. It's only in Illinois and maybe a few other states. Italian Beef sandwiches are the bomb.
    April_May_June
  • Hatorian said:

The best food joint is Portillos. It's only in Illinois and maybe a few other states. Italian Beef sandwiches are the bomb.

Polish with the onions and mustard.
    HatorianApril_May_June
  • akritenbrinkakritenbrink Lynnwood, WA (Seattle area)
    I like how this thread has totally become a fast food thread haha

I don't think we have a problem with provolone cheese here ... But maybe you have to go to Jimmy John's or something haha
    ghm3
  • FernNYC17FernNYC17 New York, NY

I like how this thread has totally become a fast food thread haha

I don't think we have a problem with provolone cheese here ... But maybe you have to go to Jimmy John's or something haha

Lol I'll take credit for my question high jacking this thread. All I'll say is if J&A answer to my question is half as good as everyone's who's commented so far we should be in for a good one
    akritenbrinkTravis
  • @DrKen and @Hatorian

Have either one of you been to Gene & Jude's? It's a hotdog place in the Chicago suburbs. While all Chicago food is *amazing*, I've lived in California for 15 years, and still miss those hotdogs!
    Runza

@ghm3 Touché, my friend.image

God damn it. lol :)
    pavlovsbell
    psst @Michelle
    Michelle
    This thread is starting to eat itself haahaha
    Michelle

psst @Michelle

GIRL!!!! That man is all kinds of fine.
    pavlovsbell
  • @DrKen and @Hatorian

Have either one of you been to Gene & Jude's? It's a hotdog place in the Chicago suburbs. While all Chicago food is *amazing*, I've lived in California for 15 years, and still miss those hotdogs!

Sounds familiar. But can't 100% say I have.
  • @DrKen and @Hatorian

Well known but I've never been there.

I do enjoy a good Superdawg when I can, though.
  • Two questions:
    1. If you could go anywhere in the world for one week at any point in time, A. Where? B. When.? C. Why?

2. Have either of you seen Ozzy and Jack's World Tour on History Channel? I think you guys would really dig it!

Thanks for all the great laughs and entertainment! I am a Bald Move addict! Congrats and keep up the great work! Spider heads are sexy!

W.C. and Me on Twitter
  • WonderedObjectWonderedObject SAN Francisco, CA

Congrats on the 20 mil mark. This must mean you guys are averaging close to 1 million downloads per month!!?!! Wow. 

It wouldn't be a Q&A Extravaganza without me asking, "Where the fuck is the Bald Move Super Deluxe Edition Cast for The Wire?" 

I'll never stop asking...
    Give the people what they want! 
    hypergenesb
  • GeorgeGeorge Astoria, New York
    Congrats on 20 million guys. That's an amazing number to hit for two people working their butts off.
    TravisMurderbear
  • MurderbearMurderbear Cold Spring, Ky
    I feel like music almost never gets talked about on here. What is the best concert you've ever been to?
    TravisFernNYC17
  • Chiden2Chiden2 Los Angeles, CA
    @A_Ron_Hubbard, have either of you guys ever written or considered writing a piece of fiction? A novel, screenplay, teleplay, etc.? 

I think you both might be pretty good at it, given the countless hours you've spent dissecting the nuances of what works and what doesn't in film and TV. 
  • Congrats on 20 million downloads!! Any plans to review The Villigan's upcoming HBO miniseries on Jonestown? I mean, it seems kinda like a no brainer ;)
    MurderbearAndrew