603 - "Chapter 3"

Director: Jennifer Lynch
Writer: James Wong

Comments

• This show is going to turn me off my bacon with all of this dang pig shenanigans!
    Elisa
  • MichelleMichelle California
    edited September 2016
    I love that we're seeing the backstories (pluralized because I don't think Kathy Bates' will be the last) begin for the colonists.  Speaking of backstories, do you think we'll see one on Priscilla?  We really need to know how/why she became this child ghost who steals children.  Is Flora going to become a spirit like Priscilla, or is she bound to become like the two boys, with their language skills so devolved that they can only scream "Croatoan"?  (Which - btw, that scene with them suckling the pig and then the one screaming "Croatoan!" - HOLY SHIT.)  Anyway, since we have this child who is central to this mystery, she must have parents...so who are they?  I suspect Kathy Bates is her mother - why else would she appear when Cricket & Co. were summoning Priscilla?  It was a very "what do you want with my daughter" moment.  Either that, or Priscilla is the daughter of Lady Gaga's character - who, btw, has a lot more power than we were shown in the last episode.  And what do we think about "Croatoan"?  We know it was the name of a tribe in the Roanoke area, but for AHS' sake, could it be a single person?  Could it be the demon spirit that reigns over all of the spooky colonists, that they have the human sacrifice rituals for?   Could Croatoan be a pig-man demon, which is why Kathy Bates & crew place the pig's head on their victims when they roast them?  Or could it be Lady Gaga - is Lady Gaga the HBIC of this whole creepy murdery colonist thing?   And now we have Beverly Leslie - I mean, Cricket the psychic medium - stirring shit up and it's all breaking bad.  So, who the hell knows what will happen next.  All I know is I was sitting in dark room, alone, wrapped up in a blanket and glued to that tv and scared, like when I watched Blair Witch for the first time.   I'm loving it so much, and I can't wait for next week.  (P.S.  RIP Mason.)

So, speaking of future episodes, apparently the big news surrounding AHS is that episode 6 is going to turn this show on its head. It's supposedly going to have us rethinking what we thought this theme was and if we thought we knew what was happening, we're in for a big surprise. And it's supposed to be a big shock. Like, anything I'm even thinking it could possibly turn out to be probably isn't right. I'm hoping the hype pans out and doesn't fizzle. I'm ready for this season to kick it up a couple of notches and scare the absolute crap out of me!
    Elisa
  • Watching episode 3. Definitely seems like they are going to pivot this into the "real world" characters. The way they talk make it sound like the documentary is happening in the present. Lee stopping the taping and also talking like they still haven't found her daughter. definitely seems like they are hinting at the "real world" playing a different part than just retelling events.
    Elisa
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    My first thought when Cricket the medium showed up was that he might provide a link to Coven as he was from New Orleans, maybe there is something more to come from that later on if he sticks around. I like him as a character so far, quirky, camp, sassy and a breath of fresh air compared to the heavy stuff that Matt, Shelby and Lee have been giving us for three weeks.

I don't know whether it's because I'm British myself but I'm finding Kathy Bates' accent absolutely unbearable! In the space of about three sentences she went from Yorkshire to Scottish to Welsh to Irish and every weird English dialect in-between! Much like with Freak Show she must have just insisted on adding that trait to the character, and it makes the whole thing even worse when the other featured members of the colony ranged from one fairly decent Northern accent to one posh London accent to that one guy who sounded like he was just plain American! I know it's nit-picky, but it's really taking me out of the show, even more so than the talking heads trope.

Elisa
  • I liked that they lessened the "interview" side of things, but it's still much to prominent for me. I am hoping that once the "pivot" happens to the next act we get rid of it. That combined with the commercials totally takes me out of the suspense/storyline.
  • My husband and I laughed out loud during the séance scene when Cricket started screaming "CROATOAN!!!" It seemed really silly. Do you guys think that's what the show intended for viewer reaction? Since last night, he and I have been randomly yelling this to each other, cracking ourselves up. (There's also been the occasional text in all CAPS.)

So far we are really enjoying the new season & loving the continued coverage A.Ron & Cecily.
    Elisa
  • interesting theory here. Definitely connecting some loose dots but we do know that something is supposed to change in Episode 6. 

• My husband and I laughed out loud during the séance scene when Cricket started screaming "CROATOAN!!!" It seemed really silly. Do you guys think that's what the show intended for viewer reaction? Since last night, he and I have been randomly yelling this to each other, cracking ourselves up. (There's also been the occasional text in all CAPS.)

So far we are really enjoying the new season & loving the continued coverage A.Ron & Cecily.

My wife and I laughed out loud at the same part. It was so over the top and out of no where. Then his sassy/bitchy "Oh, honey, this land does not belong to the dead!" line also was too comical to take it seriously.

Then we started doing Zelda Rubinstein impressions, because we're horrible.
    xulsolar22Elisa
  • Cricket is my new favorite AHS character!
    MichelleElisa
    edited September 2016
    Does anyone else think there's a possibility that, since Lady Gaga's character seems to have witch-like powers (for instance, putting Matt into a trance and getting him to f**k her, then completely ensuring he had no memory of it and making Kathy Bates immortal when she ate the pig heart, etc), she just may be the ultimate Supreme relating to the Coven season?
    Elisa
    Pausing next week's preview & going frame by frame, at the point where Lily Rabe says "I've never been so scared" (or something like that), we see Shelby terrified and backing up as she screams "Croatoan". Documentary Shelby says "I've never been so scared in all my life."! Then we see Denis O'Hare's scared face right up in the camera. Next is Flora in a gray hoodie, looking sad and scared as she holds her baby doll. After that, a shot of Mason's burned body on the big carriage wheel. Next is a side-profile shot of Lady Gaga with the goat or deer antlers tied to her head. Then Matt and Shelby in disbelief and scared as they peel off the wallpaper and see Murde spray painted on the wall. After that it's Shelby charging down the entryway/hallway of her house with a big bloody knife (or maybe it's rusty) with Cuba Gooding Jr clinging to her. They suddenly stop, Shelby screams, and Cuba gets the "oh shit! omg omg omg omg" look on his face. Flash of orange-white light and out.

So essentially, tldr: same scary shit, different episode. :)
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    I'm listening to the cast now but just wanted to say I had *never* heard of the Roanoke colonists before... I'm not sure their story is as widely taught as you think ;)

I'm still creeped out by this show. Scary, creepy shit.
    Elisa
  • TaraC73 said:

I'm listening to the cast now but just wanted to say I had *never* heard of the Roanoke colonists before... I'm not sure their story is as widely taught as you think ;)

I thought it was a well known "mystery" I heard of it long before the show used it. Maybe it's because I grew up in New England and those types of stories are plentiful or that it's been mentioned in a few movies that I've seen.
    Elisa
  • TaraC73TaraC73 Manchester NH
    KingKobra said:

TaraC73 said:

I thought it was a well known "mystery" I heard of it long before the show used it. Maybe it's because I grew up in New England and those types of stories are plentiful or that it's been mentioned in a few movies that I've seen.
    I grew up in MA, and have lived in New England my whole life. So weird!!
    KingKobra
  • ElisaElisa Los Angeles
    edited October 2016
    It's one of the first thing I remember sinking in from colonial history lessons in elementary school.  Roanoke and the missing colonists.  I always thought they were attached by native americans or died from the harsh land and winter but I always loved that no one knew what happened.  I grew up in Los Angeles lol.

Really loving this season.
    KingKobra
  • TaraC73 said:

KingKobra said:

TaraC73 said:

I grew up in MA, and have lived in New England my whole life. So weird!!
    That's so weird then, that was one of the "known" stories to me. You learn a bit in social studies in school and then later on you learn the "ghost type stories" of it. New England is full of its own stories though, I just assumed wrongly that most would already know at least part or come of the stories about the Roanoke colony.
  • amyja89amyja89 Oxford, England
    Well I can safely say that I had never heard of it here in rainy old England!
    TaraC73
  • liltcdavisliltcdavis Virginia
    edited October 2016
    Hatorian said:

Watching episode 3. Definitely seems like they are going to pivot this into the "real world" characters. The way they talk make it sound like the documentary is happening in the present. Lee stopping the taping and also talking like they still haven't found her daughter. definitely seems like they are hinting at the "real world" playing a different part than just retelling events.

I agree! My brother also pointed out that IMDB has a stunt double listed this season for Lily Rabe so she has to do more than just sit and tell the story.
  • Hey guys, huge fan! Two things: first off, Priscilla cannot be part of the colonists or Wes Bentley's daughter as Cricket says she was born (or maybe died, I cannot remember) in 18-something, whereas the colonists were much earlier - unless Ryan Murphy is playing around with timelines.

Second, while Cricket is a new character, Leslie Jordan was on AHS previously in Coven, as Quentin a member of the council.
    wildwildwhit
  • wildwildwhitwildwildwhit Seattle
    edited October 2016
    LlanahC said:

Hey guys, huge fan! Two things: first off, Priscilla cannot be part of the colonists or Wes Bentley's daughter as Cricket says she was born (or maybe died, I cannot remember) in 18-something, whereas the colonists were much earlier - unless Ryan Murphy is playing around with timelines.

Second, while Cricket is a new character, Leslie Jordan was on AHS previously in Coven, as Quentin a member of the council.
    Yes! I knew we'd seen Cricket before! He was a welcome interruption to all the fighting. 
    Benderisgreat
  • wildwildwhitwildwildwhit Seattle
    edited October 2016
    I do wonder with the whole documentary thing if Matt and Shelby are doing it for the money to get out of the house or recoup their losses on it. They may even be telling one version of events that seems empty headed and gauche, but is actually them just telling the documentary team the story they want to hear, essentially using them. "We were the perfect couple... Blah.. Blah... Had to escape the big, bad city... Blah.. Just couldn't believe what was in front of our eyes... Blah.. Blah.. Blah.." This could explain why their actions don't always make sense like Shelby all of a sudden deciding that they should stand their ground or how stereotypical they all are. It would be interesting if they are still in the house at the time of the documentary and it eventually goes forward with Lily Rabe and Andre Holland taking over the story as real people rather than these "gosh, gee whiz" types. 

Or maybe this is all just my hopeful thinking? 
  • edited October 2016

• Quick note to A.Ron and Cecily...A.Ron, you were right! The actor that plays Cricket was also in the witches' council in Coven. His name was Quentin Fleming.
    wildwildwhit